Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yeah, in more reading about this one the other day it seemed it wasn't a community group that was opposed; more just the few residents that would end up right behind it. Whatever Mt Washington community group that was quoted then (in May I think it was) seemed to be all for it.

In the Bloomfield case, the opposition appeared to have seeped into not one but several community groups. The developers still said the project was not done, but they haven't come back with revised plans or anything yet.

Financing is a problem, though, even if it may not have been *the* problem in some of these cases. Article in the Biz Times that I received today says this is an issue. The biggest example is The Chelsea, the big apartment building planned for Craig and Centre in Oakland. They've pushed groundbreaking back a year. This is just another case of lenders being broadly stupid and not taking local conditions into account because we know apartment vacancy in Pittsburgh is only about 1-2% compared with 7% or more on average.
I guess those few residents prefer it to be kept a haven for drugs, prostitution and illegal dumping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,532,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowlle34 View Post
Just happenned to have a recent photo of the area. We took a walk up this staircase about 6 to 12 mos. ago and there were still some homes (some actually still seemed occupied) along the left side of the staircase. As you can see, the area is now all cleared and there are some survey sticks in the ground.

In order to orient yourself, this staircase ends at Sycamore St. and you can make out the abandoned restaurant at the top right of the photo.
Wow that's a really sad photo of the City Steps there. I used to use them quite regularly, when they weren't in dis-repair as such. Yes there are houses along those steps with no street. I always thought it would be awful to live there when shopping having to carry everything.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:24 PM

Desmone & Associates

These are still the only rederings that I can find. I am not sure how accurate they are. I am sure these are mostly conceptual, but with many similarities. I am really intrigued by this project. It is such a unique urban project that cannot be duplicated in any other US city. That is why I keep coming back to it. I will continue to search for links because as was mantioned, this can be a new icon for the city.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
It is such a unique urban project that cannot be duplicated in any other US city. That is why I keep coming back to it.
Excellent point. Along the same lines, while the main building is fine, the parts I find most intriguing are the plaza and scattered condos below, which really are possible only because of the dynamic topography of the site.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:20 PM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
There are some good renderings in this pdf availabe on the Pittsburgh City Planning website:

One Grandview Avenue - Project Information

Old 10-21-2009, 01:25 PM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
I'm not sure why exactly, but I find the main tower extremely ugly. I absolutely despise the shape of it, and would personally rather it was shaped more rectangularly like your every-day tower. The rest of the development is stellar though.

And as for the steps, if you refer to the pdf I posted in the link above, it looks like they aren't even planning for the steps in Phase I. They do not appear in most of the renderings.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Great link--thanks!

By the way, I actually like the stepped main tower, in part because I think it will look cool when looking at Mt. Washington from the Downtown side (particularly at night). But I could see how someone would hate it.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:01 PM

So after posting the above I drove into Downtown from the east, and I tried to visualize what the hotel would look like as The Edge came into view. I am still reasonably hopeful it will look kinda cool from that angle.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:41 PM

Thanks gallucus for the link. Reps for you. Desmone's website was not offering that.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:24 PM

325 posts, read 323,139 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.biz...hotel.amp.html

Million dollar grant secured.. project may be a go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh