Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:49 PM

24 posts, read 73,639 times

Advertisements

Until maybe a week ago there was a large, vacant industrial building where the East Busway passes under the Millvale Ave Bridge between Bloomfield and Oakland. The other day I noticed the entire structure had been demolished.

A parcel search on the county assessor's page reveals that part of property is owned by port authority and part by UPMC.

Anyone know what's being built here? Seems like a good place for a busway stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM

89 posts, read 218,194 times
I have no idea, but I live right near there! I didn't even realize that the building had been demolished until I walked across the bridge last week. The demolition crew must have been very quick and/or very quiet.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:13 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,923 times
Quote:
Seems like a good place for a busway stop.
Except for the fact that it's down there in a hole, Gross St isn't exactly pedestrian friendly, and there's railroad tracks between there and the busway...

Old 11-02-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Seems like a good place for a busway stop.
Except for the fact that it's down there in a hole, Gross St isn't exactly pedestrian friendly, and there's railroad tracks between there and the busway...
That's also a perfect description of the Herron Ave stop. It didn't take an engineering marvel for Port Authority to put a bus stop there.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,755 times
It's both a blessing and a curse that the East Busway was built in such an undesirable "trough" in the landscape. Blessing in that by building it virtually no property relocation had to be done, but a curse in that for that same reason, it's not immediately accessible to as many avenues or community centers west of East Liberty. It basically bypasses most of Oakland, Bloomfield, Lawrenceville, Hill and Strip Districts.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:09 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,969,419 times
It was built in the valley because that's where the right of way was. Years ago, there were four tracks of the mainline of the Pennsylvania Railroad in that valley. It's the only unimpeded access into the city from the east that does not cross streets or mingle with other traffic. I believe the Port Authority did buy a lot of adjacent land for the stations and had to rebuild the tracks and move them for Conrail to make room for the pavement for the busway.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:27 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,031,857 times
The East Busway works very well as a way to speed commuters to the relevant commercial centers (Downtown, Shadyside, East Liberty, and Wilkinsburg). As local transit for the East End? Not so much.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:34 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
That's McKean's lower property, where I believe he originally planned to build the hotel.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
The East Busway works very well as a way to speed commuters to the relevant commercial centers (Downtown, Shadyside, East Liberty, and Wilkinsburg). As local transit for the East End? Not so much.
Believe me, on most every route in the city I think PAT could do with fewer stops, not more, but between Herron and Negley you've got probably the longest stopless stretch of the entire east busway. Also, I wouldn't characterize it as local transit. Sure, the immediate vicinity is largely residential, but north from there it's less than a 5 minute walk to the Bloomfield/Liberty Ave business district and West Penn Hospital. A less than 5 minute walk to the south and you're at Center/Baum in Oakland.

I find both areas are underserved, though I understand that will change to some extent with the new TDP.

Hopes: Interesting about the hotel. Do you know what last occupied the space? It definitely looked industrial.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:16 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kramhorse View Post
Hopes: Interesting about the hotel. Do you know what last occupied the space? It definitely looked industrial.
It was part of the McKean dealership's buildings. They kept cars down there, did some work on them there, and perhaps used a portion as warehouse.

I believe McKean originally planned to build a hotel down there; however, there was a discussion in a previous thread that lead me to believe it's possible that McKean may have traded the Liberty Ave property with Don Allen sometime after McKean sold his dealership to Allen. The Allen property was near Baulm, which is a better place for a hotel than down the hill. However, I have absolutely no idea. All I know for sure is that McKean wanted to build a hotel in the area at least a decade ago, and there was recent talk of hotel development in the area that didn't get approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh