Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:49 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,567,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
BUT I do agree that local sports should really take priority over national sports in a local sports segment of the news.
I agree, but not the day when the World Series is decided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 10:04 AM

294 posts, read 659,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Not everyone has access to cable. I recall years ago when none of the local channels carried the Kentucky Derby, whichever local affiliate had the rights chose to run something else. And having a lead-in story concerning the Steelers happens way too much in this town.

So he moved from NYC yet he can't afford cable here? That's a good one.

I don't understand why people watch the LOCAL NEWS and expect to get a lot of non-local stuff. The media today needs to specialize itself in today's technology age in order to stay ahead of the curve and remain relevant.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post
I know quite a few well-to-do people that don't have cable.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:10 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Quote:
I agree, but not the day when the World Series is decided.
We're just not a baseball town. I would have killed my husband if he had watched the world series while I was in the room.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,148,932 times
Quote:
I know quite a few well-to-do people that don't have cable.
I know many well-to-do families that don't even have televisions, except for one in the master bedroom that is rarely turned on. They consider themselves intellectuals.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I know many well-to-do families that don't even have televisions, except for one in the master bedroom that is rarely turned on. They consider themselves intellectuals.
Some people just don't care about TV, period. Being intellectuals or not has nothing to do with it.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I would have killed my husband if he had watched the world series while I was in the room.
I'd be dead if married to you.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:32 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SewickleyPA View Post

I don't understand why people watch the LOCAL NEWS and expect to get a lot of non-local stuff. The media today needs to specialize itself in today's technology age in order to stay ahead of the curve and remain relevant.
As several others have since said, maybe he just doesn't want cable. He does seem to have a TV, which takes away the argument that he thinks he's too intellectual for TV.

I, too, think that the winner of the World Series should be the lead in story for any sports report, the day after said series. Many people follow the WS who don't live in one of the competing cities. There's a problem with being "too" local.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:47 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,166,204 times
Quote:
Not everyone has access to cable. I recall years ago when none of the local channels carried the Kentucky Derby, whichever local affiliate had the rights chose to run something else. And having a lead-in story concerning the Steelers happens way too much in this town.
I have to agree that hearing about the Steelers constantly is very annoying (there is another very successful team in the city also ppl). But they do it, because that's what appeals to the most viewers. But really, there are more important things in the area going on than seeing Ben practice throwing a football on a Wednesday. Local news is only local now with the internet, newspapers (another thing that may not be here in 10 years), and cable news. Only the major news stories like the recent Ft. Hood shooting get more than 2 minutes on local news and sometimes it doesn't get that much time unless it involves the local area.

Old 11-08-2009, 11:07 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,292,199 times
Quote:
I'd be dead if married to you.
The two of you are carrying on like an old married couple....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh