Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 02:24 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times

Advertisements

I can only imagine what the costs would be to maintain that building. I have great memories from that place, hate to see it go, but things change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,134 times
Not uniqe? The Mellon Arena is famous for its revolutionary architectural design which features the largest retractable, stainless steel dome roof in the world--170,000 total square feet, and it was built in 1961! its 49 years old and is eligble to be place in the list of National Hisoric Places! Even if it wasnt "uniqe" it still is the home of alot of pittsburghers memberies, myself included. It is a reminder to all pittsburghers of what we can do, Its dome is made of 2,950 tons of Pittsburgh steel. The roof, which has no interior supports, is divided radially into eight leaves and is supported by a huge cantilever arm that arches 260 feet. It was host to The Beatles on September 14, 1964, Elvis Presley on June 25, 1973 and the Page/Plant concert on March 25, 1995, which registered the highest attendance ever in the Arena (17,764) until January 30, 1999 when 18,150 fans packed the arena for a WWF house show,and has hosted such music legends as Frank Sinatra, The Rolling Stones, six sold-out nights of Garth Brooks and The Grateful Dead. Also In the Fall of 1967, the Mellon Arena became the home of the NHL's Pittsburgh Penguins. The Pens have since earned three Stanley Cup Championships--1991, 1992 & 2009.

There is only on possible answer to this question for all pittsburghers.

SAVE THE IGLOO!!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM

398 posts, read 702,398 times
Quote:
. I'm sorry, but we ALL know how Pittsburgh has a thing for trying to preserve everything within the city limits and that we get a bad rep for not really wanting to try anything unique or modern
Yeah, I really see this as a litmus test for whether Pittsburgh can really, truly, permanently turn the corner into a flourishing 21st-century economy. Mellon Arena is not right for the city any more, and we can't hold onto what should be prime real estate out of nostalgia. Will the region's leaders have the will to do what they must?

Old 05-13-2010, 03:03 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Yeah, I really see this as a litmus test for whether Pittsburgh can really, truly, permanently turn the corner into a flourishing 21st-century economy. Mellon Arena is not right for the city any more, and we can't hold onto what should be prime real estate out of nostalgia. Will the region's leaders have the will to do what they must?
Dan O and Luke are all for tearing down the arena and redeveloping the area around it.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:53 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,803 times
Tear it down. It's one of the finest examples of Mid-Century Modern architecture, the first retractable dome in the world, and made with 2,950 tons of stainless steel manufactured in Pittsburgh. But Mid-Century Modern isn't popular in Pittsburgh anymore. Bigger cities may be pulling out all stops to save their Mid-Century Mods, but since we're about ten years behind the curve...

Old 05-13-2010, 08:16 PM

570 posts, read 1,412,038 times
Default Save the Igloo ? Forget retail, forget a hotel-- Bring together Pittsburgh's Muscle...

I see two main issues with this whole ' Save The Igloo ' story. 1) it's great to want to save the building for it's unique style and addition to the cityscape but at what cost ? 2) In order to save and rehab the building, you had better have a very good economically feasible plan in place. And a way in which the building will generate a steady source of income for the upkeep down the road. So, exactly how are you going to make the existing building a economic generator to at least pay the bills for upkeep and more ?? Additional retail, a hotel, recreation ? I don't buy into these ideas. You would be fighting for the same buck everyone else is fighting for and in a non growing marketplace. A project like this would require thinking out of the box. Below is my revised idea...

It seems the demise of the Civic Arena is a certainty once the new arena is completed in uptown. My recommendation of igloo preservation and redevelopment is based on what I would call a regional need and is a way to showcase Pittsburgh to the world. This idea is a switch from the more typical retail, hotel, recreational use that is being promoted for a saved civic arena. And the idea is certainly far different than the proposed parking lot, office, housing and retail development plan of the tear down gods.

While I very much wish for the arena to be saved and feel strongly that creative ideas could give new life to the igloo, time is running very short. And with the lack of creative thinking within our local government and not to be found on Grant Street, the energy to level the great building is on the surge.

If there is one area I disagree with in the effort of preservation, it would be the common theme of retail and public services as giving the arena new life. I'm not sure downtown can support additional retail development. And the igloo deserves more than being a retail outlet or a site of of speciality shops. Across the river one need only to look at the demise of Station Square's retail group or a close look downtown. Retail in the city fights for every buck available !

I strongly feel that if the igloo is to be saved, it has to be a community wide effort. The strongest most viable community segments have to be brought into the realm and sold on being an active part of this effort and project. In my mind the strongest segments of Pittsburgh are the higher levels of education, the corporate sector and the not for profits and foundations. Tie these three groups together and it would be very tough for the city, county and the Penguins to lay a hand or wrecking ball on the great dome.

A multi use facility housed in the igloo. A site that represents the products made in Pittsburgh. Showcases the regions academic excellence in sync with the environmental, biotechnical and industrial products made here. Goods and services that are in demand world wide. A showcase to the world that Pittsburgh is.

How beneficial would a 'under one roof' showcase facility be to the emerging Pittsburgh technology, bio tech, energy, environmental and medical scene be? With world class brain trust at our local secondary academic institutions playing into the role of innovation and economic development, would it not be a great thing to have everyone with representation under one massive roof? A showcase of the goods of Doctor Red Whittaker and his CMU Robotics and Engineering group. Pitt's Center for Biotechnology and Bioengineering work, Consol's development of advanced ventilation abatement, Westinghouse's nuclear AP1000 ,and the story of stream reclamation of Nine Mile Run. Add to this the hundred's of other large to small sized tech and innovation companies of greater Pittsburgh showcasing their goods.

I can think of no other such space anywhere that could accommodate R&D along with product show space in presenting to the world Pittsburgh's goods and advance technological development ability. The more than 30.000 square feet of floor space would be perfect for a regional showcase. And the levels of private suites could be transformed into corporate and public meeting space, product sales offices and educational space. Also think of the former rink and court space as a world class location for science fairs and production demonstration.

The several acres of land the Igloo is surrounded buy would be perfect park and recreational space. A skating rink, skate board park, sand volley ball and small concert space. Perhaps a site for food vendor's much like the lower section of Schenley Park in Oakland. Acting as a great public gathering locale in downtown-uptown Pittsburgh.

By bringing together the educational, corporate and not for profit sectors of the city and region, with a goal to create a showcase space for them, much of the financial hit for redevelopment could be covered by the numerous entities involved. Certainly some federal and state funding would fall into place as well.

I'm sure the favored plan by the city involves developing the civic arena site for yet more retail, housing and potential office space. But a powerful alliance of the strongest economic groups of our region might be enough to educate our city political leaders and put Pittsburgh in a unique position as locale with a regional economic and educational showcase facility surrounded by a great public recreational component.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:19 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,803 times
If they're going to tear it down for a parking lot why not just turn the damn thing into a parking garage? Kind of poetic, considering the damage it's vast acres of parking lots did to that neighborhood.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:03 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,802,448 times
Has there been a single old arena or stadium that has been adapted for another use? Tiger Stadium sat as a deteriorating eyesore for years. They never could find an economically feasible use for it, and it was finally torn down. An arena is not like a warehouse, or other building that can be easily adapted to another use. The place hardly has any windows. Some places are only good for their original purpose, and when they can no longer serve that purpose, they have reached the end of the road. The same folks crying about public money being spent, are some of the same ones who want the Arena preserved. I don't hear any interest from the private sector about reusing the Arena, or investing 100 million dollars to do so, do you?

Old 05-14-2010, 06:54 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times
With all due respect to those who want to save Mellon Arena, GIVE IT UP!! It is coming down. Let's not delay the inevitable by tying things up in litigation. The city needs to move on and this Pittsburgh mentality sometimes gets in the way of progress. "That mill has been there for over hundred years and it's gonna be there for another hundred years. Who cares if it has been vacant since 1972?" My dad and all of my uncles and my grandpappy worked in that mill. We don't need not South Side Works or whatever you call it!" Pretty ridiculous notion in hindsight. It happened though. The Civic/Mellon Arena ran it's course. Every place and edifice of the past holds memories. We can hold onto the memories but not always the place. Mellon Arena's era was great but is coming to an end. I understand that is the place where Bruno Sammartino pinned the Masked Marvel. Still, it is time to move on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGgLPriZUSA

Last edited by nuwaver88; 05-14-2010 at 07:07 PM..

Old 05-14-2010, 06:57 PM

660 posts, read 1,654,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post
Mellon Arena is not right for the city any more, and we can't hold onto what should be prime real estate out of nostalgia.
That's what was said about the Jenkins Arcade (which by the way was named a Historical Landmark) and the Syria Mosque (which was SUPPOSED to be for a real purpose, but now remains nothing but a lousy parking lot). They gutted the old Mellon Bank building's magnificent interior in the interest of a department store that failed.

Tearing down the Civic Arena would be akin to St Louis destroying the Gateway Arch or Seattle imploding the Space Needle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh