Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 10:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
how many police officers were shot this year?

The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc.
I'm sure a decent percentage of those were on domestic calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We know what's happening in our own city. It's not very big. The city wouldn't be able to hide it from the media. The reality is that many people are related to people who live in these dangerous neighborhoods. They aren't isolated areas where no news comes out. Do you even know anything about Pittsburgh? We don't even have much of an uneducated immigrant population (one of the things you claim is the problem.) The three police officers killed during the summer were the result of white supremacy ideals, not the type of things you are blaming police deaths on. Maybe you should be taking this rant to the Philadelphia forum.
I'm so sorry, I forgot to mention white supremacy idealists.....

Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I'm sure a decent percentage of those were on domestic calls.

what does it matter hopes? they were killed? Just like your police officers in Pittsburg, they were murdered by gang members....does it really matter what kind of calls they were on? They were shot dead???? They are gone! Why? Why is this happening to so many?

Crime is crime.

Did you ever hear reports about how the criminals are armed better then the cops? Why?

and to those who argue that they should legalize drugs...where do you begin and where do you end it? You start with pot, and over the years, now heroine and cocain become legal? What if it were legal and your kids did it? If it were legal, you may have a point, about the crime part, but what about all the people who'd use?

Old 12-08-2009, 10:36 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
Quote:

I wasn't attacking you...but your comment, being a mother of a police officer sounded very uncaring...and that's my fault...I was wrong...in stating that...hope you understand...I'm emotionally involved and I shouldn't comment...
I know you weren't attacking me personally, but as someone who DOES care and someone who knows a lot of people care, I take great offense. I've interrupted Zone 4 officers during a dinner with their family to let them know they are in my thoughts. And I do all I can to make my neighborhood as safe as possible.

Sincerely,

A son of a life long firefighter, who lived his life not knowing if his father would return home.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
What if it were legal and your kids did it? If it were legal, you may have a point, about the crime part, but what about all the people who'd use?
The same feeble argument was used against alcohol during that Prohibition. It didn't hold water then and it doesn't now. Lots of cops (and many other people) died because alcohol was illegal. That mentality is what indirectly led to their deaths, as it does here. That's the truth. The vast majority of people who use ANY given substance (including alcohol) do not develop a problem with it. Use might spike up a little if everything was legalized (which I advocate), but it's a small price to pay for ending the violence, most of which has Prohibition at its root, now as then. Use is not the same as abuse.

Read this several times: No one has the right to tell other consenting adults what they can do with their own bodies in the privacy of their own homes. No one. And because people like you think that anybody has that right, people die.

Edit: also, since you invoked the scary, scary specter of heroin, get this: heroin, like the other opiates, is an inherently safe drug, which is why opiates are widely prescribed for pain. They (don't be fooled that the hydrocodone in Vicodin is any different than heroin, outside of potency) don't cause physical damage, even after long-term use. That's right, I'm saying that most "heroin deaths" are the result of unknown purity, something else that can be blamed on their prohibition. Give an addict a known amount of known purity, with a label on it like a bottle of painkillers have, and watch heroin ODs plummet.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
what does it matter hopes? they were killed? Just like your police officers in Pittsburg, they were murdered by gang members....does it really matter what kind of calls they were on? They were shot dead???? They are gone! Why? Why is this happening to so many?
It most certainly does matter what type of call they were on! You're only focused on drugs, gangs and immigrants!

Meanwhile, the most dangerous part of being a police officer is domestic calls.

If you want the world safer for police officers, you can't ignore what's causing most of the deaths and injuries to police officers.

Quote:
Just like your police officers in Pittsburg, they were murdered by gang members....
This year's Pittsburgh police weren't murdered by gang members. Possibly this recent one (not sure), but the three killed earlier this year responded to a domestic call.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I know you weren't attacking me personally, but as someone who DOES care and someone who knows a lot of people care, I take great offense. I've interrupted Zone 4 officers during a dinner with their family to let them know they are in my thoughts. And I do all I can to make my neighborhood as safe as possible.

Sincerely,

A son of a life long firefighter, who lived his life not knowing if his father would return home.
scottpriester, I really do understand, and I understand hopes as well, and am very sorry if I hurt your feelings...

Old 12-08-2009, 11:14 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,710,930 times
Quote:
scottpriester, I really do understand, and I understand hopes as well, and am very sorry if I hurt your feelings...
I'm not sure you do understand. This wasn't gang-related (unless he has gang affiliations that weren't reported by the media) or immigrant-related. He was a small-time drug dealer trying to collect on a debt he wouldn't have been owed if "drugs" (a catch-all term if there ever was one) weren't illegal. It's really that simple. It's too bad if the state propaganda you've obviously fallen for has led you to believe otherwise. I can't post here anymore. I feel brain cells dying every time I do it.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
and to those who argue that they should legalize drugs...where do you begin and where do you end it? You start with pot, and over the years, now heroine and cocain become legal? What if it were legal and your kids did it? If it were legal, you may have a point, about the crime part, but what about all the people who'd use?
Less people use drugs in the Netherlands, where it's legal, compared to the United States. Everything is lower in the Netherlands---drugs, crime rate, etc.

Apparently they're doing something right.

Quote:
What if it were legal and your kids did it? If it were legal, you may have a point, about the crime part, but what about all the people who'd use?
We already face that problem as parents with it being illegal.

As a matter of fact, this war on marijuana actually causes more problems for our nation's children. A marijuana conviction prevents children from obtaining grants and funding for college----forever! So someone who gets into trouble at a young age can't get funding to go to college even when they're 40 years old.

See how easily someone who did something so minor could end up deeply entrenched into crime? If there's no way out---no way to attend college---no way to earn a decent living----what do you expect them to do? They can earn 100k dealing drugs---and they need to embrace a violent mindset to protect themselves while dealing drugs since it's illegal. It's just a vicious cycle.

I'd say that parenting is MORE challenging with it being illegal. Our children's futures could be destroyed by being unlucky enough to get caught. The ones who don't get caught are free to go to college and could become President. If Obama had been caught, he would have not received any grants to go to college. He wouldn't be President today. THINK ABOUT THAT!

Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
If Obama had been caught, he would have not received any grants to go to college. He wouldn't be President today. THINK ABOUT THAT!

We can only wish!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh