Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 11:14 AM

15 posts, read 19,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
I don't agree with you, you don't agree with me, I think your points suck, you think mine suck. There, we're even.
You did not specifically address any of the points that I've made on this forum...all you can say is that they suck. One of my points was that if you don't agree with the speed limit, that is just plain tough! Who are you to decide what speed is "safe"? You're no expert, and neither am I.

If you (or anyone else) has a reply, please do not just say "your points suck!"...a specific rebuttal would be more appropriate...and mature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 05:30 PM

398 posts, read 702,324 times
Dear Freaks On Bigelow Blvd,

The posted speed limit is 35. Your decision to drive 60 mph does not magically turn it into a freeway. There is no passing lane. There is even a crosswalk, and three of you almost killed that poor guy this morning while swerving blind around me. Stop being borderline psychopaths.

Caroline

Old 01-06-2011, 05:44 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
My crosswalk incident was Tuesday evening on Liberty Ave in Gateway Center. Car went speeding through from Ft Pitt Bridge. We both flipped the bird, guy crossing the other direction laughed at us. Seriously, next time I'm kicking the car, although going at that speed I might be injured so maybe not.

There are a few crosswalks around the area that I just can't imagine chancing, though. Bigelow is one of them. As I recall there is a crosswalk or two in spots where there is not a traffic light. Steps up the hill, etc. I just can't imagine trying it. Another one is on McKnight Rd, between the two hills and on a curve. Can you imagine? Holy crap. I don't know how to get around it if you really needed to cross for the bus stop but geez I can't imagine crossing there.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM

264 posts, read 492,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post

The posted speed limit is 35. Your decision to drive 60 mph does not magically turn it into a freeway. There is no passing lane. There is even a crosswalk, and three of you almost killed that poor guy this morning while swerving blind around me. Stop being borderline psychopaths.

Caroline
That stretch from Herron down to the ramps is a joke at 35 mph. There are no lights, turns, pedestrians, etc for a good 1-1.5 miles. There is that little park thing about halfway up but I don't think I've ever seen anyone actually there (and I used to drive it daily). It should be at least 50, maybe with a few flashing lights or rumble strips as you approach the turns at the bottom of the hill/the light at the top.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:15 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I think drivers in Pittsburgh are pretty nice overall. There are the odd drivers, usually women in SUV's that are super aggressive, but all-in-all I don't see much in the way of idiots. I can typically encounter 1000 other cars in a day and if one driver is an idiot that doesn't mean everyone driving is. Ask yourself this, how many cars do you encounter and how many drivers are idiots? The percentage is quite low. Compare that to driving in NJ around NYC. Oh my the percentage would be much different. Or compare it to DC Metro. No comparison. The drivers in Pittsburgh are pretty good for a metro area.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
I think there's a fair amount of courtesy from drivers to other drivers, but it declines somewhat when it comes to driver courtesy towards pedestrians. Which isn't to say there isn't some of that as well, because there is. Compared to elsewhere, though, I think some other places are more in tune with pedestrian courtesy.

To be fair, Pittsburgh also has an epidemic of jaywalking, and they don't deserve any extra courtesy. If they can get across without interfering with cars, fine (and I do that too sometimes) but often enough they can't.

There's plenty of not thinking ahead around here, both while driving and walking (and with a number of other unrelated things as well, maybe that is the real crisis ).

Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I think there's a fair amount of courtesy from drivers to other drivers, but it declines somewhat when it comes to driver courtesy towards pedestrians. Which isn't to say there isn't some of that as well, because there is. Compared to elsewhere, though, I think some other places are more in tune with pedestrian courtesy.

To be fair, Pittsburgh also has an epidemic of jaywalking, and they don't deserve any extra courtesy. If they can get across without interfering with cars, fine (and I do that too sometimes) but often enough they can't.

There's plenty of not thinking ahead around here, both while driving and walking (and with a number of other unrelated things as well, maybe that is the real crisis ).
I nearly hit a jaywalker a couple of weeks ago. I was approaching an intersection and was in the right lane with a green right arrow, and then out of the corner of my eye I saw movement. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. And he looked at me like I was the one in the wrong. He did not have the walk signal, obviously, and just assumed that all traffic on the main street was stopped, but at this intersection, when the side street has a green, the traffic turning right from the main street has an arrow. It's an intersection where all traffic is stopped for pedestrian crossing. Oh, and this was at night, he was wearing black, and it was snowing so visibility was not great. The evil part of me thinks I might have done the world a favor if I had taken him out of the gene pool, but the real me was shaking the rest of the way home.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:18 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,608 times
After driving through Manhattan and seeing those cabs zooming in all directioons and honking at me because I was going with the legal speed, I think that Pittsburgh has very nice drivers. Honestly.
of course we want all drivers to drive like us but it's not possible.

For example, at rush hour in the morning at Liberty tunnel, going to downtown: some people swicth lanes way before the tunnel, then they have to wait for the people who came from the righ lanes and drove up close to the tunnel entry and allow them to get in front of them. This slows down the traffic. There ought to be a rule about it.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:05 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,907,374 times
I agree with caroline2...

lots of borderline psychopaths emerge when put behind the wheel!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:38 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline2 View Post

Caroline
The part after Herron down to 579 and Downtown is essentially a freeway where no one goes less than 45-50. The speed limit on that part should be 50. The one time I did get 35 I thought it was one of the most dangerous things I've ever done because of the risk of getting hit from someone flying behind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh