Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 10:39 AM

315 posts, read 665,394 times

Advertisements

I was walking around on lunch and thinking about the dilapidated vacant buildings and unused 2nd/3rd/4th floors of buildings that have stores or bars on the ground floor. Are these just pretty much wasting away and making it harder to rent them out for the price asked for? Are the realtors just sitting on this property in case there's ever an increased demand to live downtown? I guess are these things even in any kinda of usable condition. I saw a few buildings on Wood and Liberty around 5th avenue that made me think of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 11:44 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
There's actually a program to help building owners renovate those into apartments or such, but it's not that much $$, not nearly as attractive as, say, the one that gives the tax abatement for new condos.

I don't think most of those spaces are anywhere near usable condition.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:07 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
The Vacant Upper Floors Loan Fund Program was just launched in 2009 (and in not the greatest of circumstances with the recession), so I think it remains to be seen how much impact it will have. Note this is building on a prior program which just provided consulting help, and this new loan program actually provides bridge financing as well up to fairly substantial amounts. Anyway, here is more about it:

PDP Accepting Loan Applications to Convert Vacant Upper Floors to Residential Use | Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership

http://www.downtownpittsburgh.com/_f...ines-final.pdf

Of course there have been several projects already along these lines, such as the PHLF's Market at Fifth:

Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation » Market at Fifth Continues
Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation » Market at Fifth – Historic, Hip, Chic, Green

The Buhl Building renovation:

Buhl Building rehab unveiled

Market Square Place:

MarketSquare Place ** Downtown Pittsburgh Lofts and Condos

941 Penn:

941 Penn Avenue. Inspired Urban Living in Downtown Pittsburgh Luxury Condominiums.

The bigger such projects include Piatt Place and The Carlyle . . .

http://www.piattplace.com/
http://www.carlylecondo.com/

. . . and both those developers have plans to do more projects. In fact the people who did Piatt Place and Market Square Place have specifically talked about something smaller along Wood Street.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Who knows. With all those buildings downtown with vacant upper floors (granted, many of them are offices), you would think there would be some potential for affordable apartments. But I guess nobody wants to offer apartments downtown unless they rent for $1200+ a month.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:19 PM

315 posts, read 665,394 times
I always like how the Army and Navy store has like a storage on the second floor with a wide open window

Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
Who knows. With all those buildings downtown with vacant upper floors (granted, many of them are offices), you would think there would be some potential for affordable apartments. But I guess nobody wants to offer apartments downtown unless they rent for $1200+ a month.
From reading around, I think a lot of developers have plans to do more middle-market stuff at least. Of course being within walking distance of a lot of higher-income jobs is going to keep market-based rents from getting too low, at least not unless a LOT more units are developed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh