Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 12:38 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times

Advertisements

The questions that I want aswered are which roads are the main roads and who makes this decision. I can't believe that 5th Avenue is not a main road. Same goes for East Carson Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 12:45 PM

875 posts, read 1,490,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
A CMU professor has made a snow road status site: http://www.cityzenmobile.com/howsmystreet/
Helpful link fleetiebelle!

Parkview Ave in Oakland, north of the Boulevard has been packed snow/ice the entire week! The only thing done to it was one man voluntarily running his snowblower, not a plow or treatment in sight.

I'm away at the moment, but I was pleased to see a back-hoe starting to dig out the intersection where it meets the Boulevard. We'll see how it is by the end of the day. Before today the street was only passable by snow-rated tires/vehicles.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:46 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
That's actually a really good question. When they say primary and secondary roads, what do they mean?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:18 PM

137 posts, read 354,143 times
The trucks were riding around with there plows 6" in the air...

Out here in the suburbs, our streets were clear by Saturday night but our workers are privatized...

Last edited by Pitts64; 02-11-2010 at 03:38 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
I saw a truck with its plow up go by this morning. It was salting. Lots of times they will salt first, then come back to plow.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM

31 posts, read 103,762 times
I heard tell of a story in the bible where a man had the job of building a wall around a city. The only way to get the job done was to force the mans family to live in the city while he did the work. Each man was given the job of buiding the wall in front of his house.
The job was done on time and within budget.

If all the lazy people would go out of their houses with a shovel and shovel the snow in front of their house, you wouldn't have snow that would have to be plowed by Penndot or the city. The streets would already be clear. Maybe more people needs to buy a shovel and less cell phones and computers and we wouldn't have so many problems in this world.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:51 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
We pay taxes for road maintenance. Nobody, out of the good of their hearts, is going to walk up and down Forbes Ave or Penn Ave, or Carson St, or Banksville road, shoveling 2 feet of snow.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:19 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
wait - dream rainbow might be on to something here.

why not do that - have a private citizen get paid to be sort of the 'captain' of his street or local area. this is a person who would have the equipment to shovel/plow, and he'd get paid by the city to do just that for his local area.

areas in the mountainous neighborhoods like up in beechview, the Hill, Greenfield, etc. might benefit. the City wouldnt have to get up there and worry about side streets that are really only used by its residents, and those residents would at least get their roads plowed enough to be navigable, at least.

yes, i heard that Marty guy rant about this on KDKA - i was a little sad to hear this. its brave of him to call out those that called off the way that he did.

but, in the end, you know as well as i what the result will be - the status quo will remain.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,549,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
why not do that - have a private citizen get paid to be sort of the 'captain' of his street or local area. this is a person who would have the equipment to shovel/plow, and he'd get paid by the city to do just that for his local area.

The Unions in the City would never allow that to happen, the private citizen would do a better job, and without benefits.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 PM

31 posts, read 103,762 times
Most people don't even pay taxes. They look for as many loop holes as possible to get out of paying for taxes.

Why does the city have to pay? Why not each person shovel the section of road in front of their house - along with the sidewalk in front of their house. If it is shoveled on a regular basis, you wouldn't have 2 feet of snow in front of your house.

The problem in my area is - the snow plow driver is a ignornat sob and he is always looking for someplace to stick his snow and he plows it back into my driveway - after I spent hours shoveling it out. The lazy bazztards don't shovel their snow, so the snow doesn't go in their driveway and so they don't have any extra snow to shovel.

When the snow gets too deep they call someone and that person comes over and plows it out for them. I'm just not that rich.

Washington DC has gotten more snow in the last 15 days then the state of Pennsylvania has gotten all winter. How would you like to live in DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh