Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

The absence of a 20-40% reduction in tooth decay won't show up as an "epidemic", but it is nonetheless a serious public health issue. I'm not fond of "what about the children?" arguments in general, but this is one of the straightforward situations in which I believe such an argument is appropriate: we know that we are reducing tooth decay in children in the U.S. with flouridated water. IF we were willing to institute a much more comprehensive public health program for children including frequent dental care, THEN I think we could potentially revisit the flouridation issue. But unless and until we actually do that, I don't think it makes sense to oppose an existing alternative that actually works.

On the philosophical issue, just speaking personally, since flouride in the relevant concentrations occurs naturally in some places--this is how we figured out the anti-tooth-decay effects in the first place--and there are no serious side effects, I don't really see the problem. Generally, "water" in the real world has never been 100% H2O, and once you are processing the water you are automatically going to have to make choices about what concentrations of various non-H2O substances you are going to allow in the final mix. So in my view, complaining about the fact that in some cases you have to add rather than subtract subtances to get to the target mix is elevating form over substance: the important issue is whether that target mix is indeed a desirable one, not the process it took to get to that mix in any particular case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 AM

130 posts, read 297,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
I've always liked the water in Pittsburgh, but then I grew up there. I think we tend to have a preference for the tap water where we grew up. Of all the places I've lived, the worst water was in Central Illinois (I think prairie farm states are known to have bad water with lots of pesticides), followed by Columbus, Charlotte (too much chlorine), and suburban Dallas. Only Boston and western Mass had good water.

People can access many local water quality reports here:
Environmental Protection Agency - Local Drinking Water Information

Gibsonia (which I believe is under the Richland Township water authority) is not listed though.
I don't drink water. I drink juice and adulterate it with seltzer water for breakfast and when I'm really thirsty. Or I adulterate water with juice. I drink wine. It's got anti-oxidants. And did you know that beer (the kind that has more hops than other ingredients) are good for ya? I'm not a beer drinker, but I'm gonna put that in my regimen, too.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Even if your tap water tastes fine that does not mean it is truly healthy.

In the mid 1980's when I lived in West Hartford, CT we had our water tested out of the tap in our home. I learned that the copper content of the water was significantly higher than what is considered a normal level safe for human consumption. With all that copper in my body after several years of drinking it, I became a lightning rod of sorts. :-)

Now, regardless of where I live, I always use a high quality filter for my drinking water. And as someone pointed out previously, yes pharmaceutical waste is finding its way into our public watershed areas for a couple of reasons including improper disposal by manufacturers and people that flush the stuff down the toilet .
Amen and thank you for pointing this out. That's why I drink wine instead. It's potent enough to kill the germs that are lurking in the juice. And besides it's a great way to end the day. Does anyone end their day with a glass of water?

Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Who are these people flushing their pharmaceuticals down the toilet?
What? You're not serious. You've never heard ot it?

Old 02-18-2010, 07:06 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazfora View Post
What? You're not serious. You've never heard ot it?
Nope, not completely serious and yes, I've heard of it.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Does anyone end their day with a glass of water?
I do. I rarely drink anything but water. It's bad for your body not to drink water throughout the day.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:03 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,904 times
Pittsburgh: America's most drinkable city! :-p

No, but my water at home (via the Wilkinsburg-Penn Joint Water Authority) I find really really good. It is still my choice vintage. Of other places I've been, I found Boston's and Rome's to be good too. Other places... not always. DC's was awfulllll.

Old 02-19-2010, 06:16 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,787,860 times
Location matters on the same water system - for example, I moved from a house near the water plant, several miles further out on a dead end line, and I notice more off/musty/regrowth in a water bottle from it. But I still prefer that to the corrosive well water on our hill, a longtime resident has kidney problems from the copper it leached out.

Yinz might find this link from the PA DEP helpful, all the compliance labs have been required to report online to the state for the last few years so if you dig hard enough you will find EVERY PA regulated community water system results on here: Public Drinking Water

Old 02-20-2010, 08:46 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,357 times
Haha! This thread seems funny to me - I'd never actually thought that there would be any kind of problem drinking straight tap water, or that it could possibly be "undrinkable"... I guess that's what living in Minnesota your whole life does to you.

Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Haha! This thread seems funny to me - I'd never actually thought that there would be any kind of problem drinking straight tap water, or that it could possibly be "undrinkable"... I guess that's what living in Minnesota your whole life does to you.
I don't think it has anything to do with location. Some people have been trained to only drink bottled water, when clean, potable tap water on demand remains a luxury in most of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh