Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:16 AM

5 posts, read 21,299 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I worked and studied at the University of Pittsburgh like 12 years ago and haven't been to Pittsburgh since then (left in 2000) as I am living in Germany.
So you can imagine that I am very very excited coming back on vacation for a week in April. Of course I want to see all the places again where I had been at the past to refresh my memories.
I used to go to Monroeville Mall very often back then, to walk around and browse the shops, and grab something to eat. As we won't have much time with all the other activities on our schedule I was wondering if it is still worth going there: whatever I read in this forum didn't sound very promising. Has Monroeville Mall really gone downhill that much since 2000?
I have never been to the Mall at Robinson - would it be a better experience to go there instead? We are looking for a nice and relaxed shopping experience, with a variety of different stores and some restaurants (fast food is ok) to get a quick lunch.
The last ten years when I was thinking about visiting Pittsburgh again I was always looking forward to visit Monroeville again. But if it has become that shady.... Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 04:32 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Well, Monroeville Mall has been going through some ups and downs lately rather than a complete downfall, and the area around it has been changing, for better or worse, for the past 10 years now. While some businesses have been closing, others have been opening up, even though the area has basically stagnanted. I wouldn't call the area shady though. Depending on your preferences, you might still find Monroeville Mall enjoyable.

If you want a more refreshing experience, the Mall at Robinson may be the better choice. The store selection at Robinson is a little better than at Monroeville, and the food choices including the food court are also a little better. Also surrounding the mall are many choices for shopping, including the only IKEA in the area. You will also find some exclusive restarants to the area such as IHOP and Mike Ditka's Steakhouse.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
We live very close to the Monroeville Mall, and I'd rather go to the Mall at Robinson any day. Much cleaner, more of an upscale feel.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:54 AM

Thank you both for your replies!
Mh, sounds really like the Mall at Robinson would be the place to go.
Are both malls equally big in size / have the same amount of stores?

Old 03-14-2010, 07:50 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavaria View Post
Thank you both for your replies!
Mh, sounds really like the Mall at Robinson would be the place to go.
Are both malls equally big in size / have the same amount of stores?
Robinson has about 150 stores, has 4 anchor stores and is fairly shaped like a boomerang, whereas Monroeville has about 160, has two anchors within the mall and is a straight shot from end to end, but there's also the District outdoor lifestyle center with a Barnes and Noble in front of the mall and the annex behind the complex which accounts for about 20 of its stores.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Ain't nothing wrong with Monroeville Mall. It was still pretty busy the last time I went there.

I've never been to The Mall at Robinson, so I can't help you there. Also, you might want to check out Ross Park Mall since it's become the most upscale shopping mall in western Pennsylvania.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:45 AM

Now after I have decided to go to the Mall at Robinson you throw in Ross Park Mall I have checked there website and some reviews - sounds really like a very good place. Maybe I have to rethink my decision...

Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I consider Ross Park Mall to be the best mall in the area. There are upscale stores at Ross Park which are not anywhere else in SW Pennsylvania.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,051,501 times
I've never even stepped foot inside of The Mall at Robinson, but I can tell you that anything will be better than Monroeville...that mall just flat out sucks. All the good stores closed up shop when the recession first hit.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:05 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,711,891 times
The Mall at Robinson is a nice, medium -sized mall, but, as previously stated, Ross Park Mall is the premier mall in this area. Nordstrom, Tiffany's, L.L.Bean, Burberry's, etc., are not in any other mall near Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh