Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:50 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Should be Donnie Iris n'at
Sometimes I wonder if there are people would prefer Pittsburgh to remain "stuck in the past" simply so they could continue to justify complaining about it. It's as if those who don't like Pittsburgh would rather it not change so that their opinions wouldn't be forced to change either. It's kind of ironic, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 05:06 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raubre View Post
Sorry, not this gay boy. I'd rather see Kings of Leon. They're going to be at Star Lake/First Niagra) two days later.
Not this one either. Drives me crazy though...the infatuation most of them have with Lady Gaga. Thinking about what the scene will be like in that place for that concert makes my brain hurt.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:15 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,551,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Sometimes I wonder if there are people would prefer Pittsburgh to remain "stuck in the past" simply so they could continue to justify complaining about it. It's as if those who don't like Pittsburgh would rather it not change so that their opinions wouldn't be forced to change either. It's kind of ironic, really.
Perhaps you missed the humour in my post, n'at.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,591,863 times
It's just a sign of the times I guess. When Heinz Field opened, *NSYNC was the most popular pop band out there, and today it's Lady Gaga. Not my kind of music but I'm sure a bunch of screaming girls as well as some guys are going to find it enjoyable, not to mention get a feel for the new arena.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:38 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,632,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Beleive me, I like Pittsburgh (born and raised) but the non progressive mentality just scathes me. There's nothing wrong with embracing your past, but you gotta embrace the future. I just wonder what one person can do about it. How do we get a decent alternative radio station in Pittsburgh? How do we get good modern bands to Pittsburgh? (Where are The Flaming Lips, White Stripes, Muse and Radiohead???)

Old 03-15-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Beleive me, I like Pittsburgh (born and raised) but the non progressive mentality just scathes me. There's nothing wrong with embracing your past, but you gotta embrace the future. I just wonder what one person can do about it. How do we get a decent alternative radio station in Pittsburgh? How do we get good modern bands to Pittsburgh? (Where are The Flaming Lips, White Stripes, Muse and Radiohead???)
I know how you feel, we haven't had a decent radio station since K-Rock and Channel 97.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM

137 posts, read 367,180 times
Quote:
I saw the Flaming Lips play at The M or The Metropol or whatever it was called in the Strip about the time Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots came out (2002?). Decent bands come now and then, but not often enough. I saw Yo La Tengo and Grizzly Bear at the Warhol, Islands at the Lawrenceville Moose Lodge, and the Fiery Furnaces at Mr. Smalls about 2 or 3 years ago. The Shins played CMU once. I think Frank Black recently played in the Southside. If Radiohead ever come to the 'burgh I think the world might explode. Not to threadjack, but I always wonder...is it a lack of a good venue, a lack of promotion, or do bands lose money playing in Pittsburgh?
As far as the lack of a good alternative station, one thing that is pretty unique to the city is WYEP. A lot of what they play is pretty cheesy, but there's some good stuff too, especially weekend mornings. And it's publicly supported! Now that's awesome!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
I know how you feel, we haven't had a decent radio station since K-Rock and Channel 97.
I loved Channel 97! If we can bring back Channel 97 and WXXP, I'd be happy!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc09 View Post
I saw the Flaming Lips play at The M or The Metropol or whatever it was called in the Strip about the time Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots came out (2002?). Decent bands come now and then, but not often enough. I saw Yo La Tengo and Grizzly Bear at the Warhol, Islands at the Lawrenceville Moose Lodge, and the Fiery Furnaces at Mr. Smalls about 2 or 3 years ago. The Shins played CMU once. I think Frank Black recently played in the Southside. If Radiohead ever come to the 'burgh I think the world might explode. Not to threadjack, but I always wonder...is it a lack of a good venue, a lack of promotin, or do bands lose money playing in Pittsburgh?
As far as the lack of a good alternative station, one thing that is pretty unique to the city is WYEP. A lot of what they play is pretty cheesy, but there's some good stuff too, especially weekend mornings. And it's publicly supported! Now that's awesome!
I think it's acombo of lack of a good venue, lackof promotion and lack of "hipness" (meaning "stuck in the past") in Pittsburgh. (Although I do think Drusky is doing the best in the promotions department so far.

As far as WYEP, I think they are the best, but they seem to focus way too much on folk and bluegrass. I wish Pittsburgh had a station like New York's WRXP. Checkout thier playlist. (Hopefully this link will work 101.9 RXP - Broadcast History (http://www.1019rxp.com/BroadcastHistory.aspx - broken link) )

Old 03-15-2010, 06:08 PM

The closest thing we have to Channel 97 is Rocky 99, based out of Johnstown. Luckily for me, I can still get it even though I'm in Greensburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh