Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 06:43 AM

30 posts, read 58,106 times

Advertisements

I have a job offer in Pittsburgh and I'm a bit confused? I just moved back to PA from Florida and already miss the beach.
How is the area for someone who is single? I'm just trying to decide if I'll be happy living in Pittsburgh?
Any feedback will be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
What's your ethnicity and what do you like to do for "fun"?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Well, we don't have a beach, but we do have rivers!

More generally, as I believe I suggested to you in another thread, I think if you target the right neighborhoods this can be a pretty fun city for younger singles. If you give us more specific details about what you are into doing, we can provide more specific suggestions.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM

27 posts, read 56,900 times
It can be a great city for singles if you look in the right places. Southside, strip district is great. I met my wife here at a local church.

Be prepared to meet a girl who wants to live a block away from Mommy and Daddy who will never leave the neighborhood she grew up in. Much less ever leave the city.

And to the rivers comment, they are worthless for recreation compared to any beach or decently clean river.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
I wouldn't compare them to a beach, but the rivers are decently clean these days and you can boat or fish. I also it find it pleasant just to be walking around them.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:20 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
I don't think our rivers are worthless for recreation. Many people boat/canoe/kayak the rivers every day. And, in a few years, all of our rivers will be lined with connected bike paths/parks...something most other cities cannot boast.

As for cleanliness, the rivers in most major cities are not very clean. I wouldn't feel safe swimming or easting fish from a river in most any eastern US city. The Allegheny River is not beyond hope for being clean while the Mon is quite a ways off. Neither will probably ever be pristine but they are improving.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:27 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,187,225 times
As for young singles in Pittsburgh, I think it is the same as anywhere else. It is as hard or difficult as you make it. Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Oakland...pretty much anywhere east is swarming with people in their 20s-30s on a nice summer day.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:04 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveb623 View Post
I have a job offer in Pittsburgh and I'm a bit confused? I just moved back to PA from Florida and already miss the beach.
How is the area for someone who is single? I'm just trying to decide if I'll be happy living in Pittsburgh?
Any feedback will be appreciated!

I am a 30 year old male in this city as well. It matters what you are looking for. But, overall it isn't good. Don't get me wrong, there are women here. But, most are overweight and plain-looking though. Oakland is teeming with copious amounts of hotties, but we're getting too old for them. Most women our age who have it together have moved out to the suburbs to start families and such. It is really slim pickings here for guys in our age bracket. I also think the gray sky dampens things. You just don't see people outside in the winter.

But, there are a myriad of opportunities if you are looking for drunken hookups at bars. That's my modus operandi. There are some cute bar girls fluttering about who are on the quick trajectory downward but who haven't become completely grizzled yet. Go find 'em (I know I do...haha).

Last edited by Renaldo5000; 04-09-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 04-09-2010, 09:10 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
I am a 30 year old male in this city as well. It matters what you are looking for. But, overall it isn't good. There are women here...don't get me wrong. But, most are overweight and plain-looking though. Oakland is teeming with hotties, but we're getting too old for them. Most professional women our age have moved out to the suburbs to start families and such. It is really slim pickings here for guys in our age bracket. I also think the gray skies dampens things. You just don't see people outside in the winter.

But, there are a myriad of opportunities if you are looking for drunken hookups at bars. That's my modus operandi. There are some cute bar girls fluttering about that are on the quick trajectory downward, but who haven't become completely grizzled yet. Go find 'em (I know I do...haha).

Old 04-09-2010, 09:14 AM

315 posts, read 665,295 times
yea it depends how high your standards are or how good looking you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh