Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:49 AM

85 posts, read 373,647 times

Advertisements

Mill-Hunky, that is too ironic!! I hear you about how you feel living in Columbus. It's hard because I know a lot of people like it here and think it's great for raising a family, etc. but after 13 years here, I still prefer the Burgh. And believe me, I have tried very hard to convince myself to be happy in Columbus, but it just doesn't have what I am looking for. Going back to Pittsburgh on visits is always tough for me, too, and bittersweet. In fact we are going back this weekend for my nephew's birthday party, and we'll spend a day at Kennywood (I'm trying to sneak little ways of getting my two kids to like Pittsburgh, in case we do move there in the future!). It's strange, as soon as we hit Zanesville (on the way to Pittsburgh from Columbus), I start feeling more peaceful - something about the hills has a calming effect on me. Then the opposite happens on the way back, as the land gets flatter and then super flat, I get that sinking feeling. My husband doesn't quite understand it, but he's supportive of my desire to get back to the Burgh.

The other main issue are the kids...how old are your children? Do they know of your plans to get back to Pittsburgh? How would they feel about moving? My kids have a vague notion about it but I try not to talk too much about it, because who knows if and when it will happen, and why get them stressed out about moving until it's a definite situation.

I too, used to look at Pittsburgh houses online but that got too depressing, because we obviously can't move until we have a job first!

I'm sorry to hear your job with American Eagle didn't work out. My husband ALMOST had an offer from PNC bank, but they ended up choosing someone local over him. Very frustrating. If I knew how hard it would be to get back to Pittsburgh, I don't honestly think I would have ever agreed to leave in the first place. It's difficult living in a city you will never consider home.

And Newburg, good for you that you were able to get back to Pittsburgh - I must say I am envious! Just curious, how did you get a job there - was it a personal connection or just perseverance at getting a job?

Anyway, thanks for the encouragement - we will keep trying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM

3 posts, read 10,549 times
Hi Burghgirl,
We have 3 children 11, 5, and 2. I have inundated the poor kids (and wife) with everything Pittsburgh related. When we watch tv or movies I say that was shot in Pittsburgh, that guy is from Pittsburgh etc. But they have learned to love it, I feel like an old grandpa waxing poetic about the "old country". But they take it in stride and every time we go to Pittsburgh we do something new and fun, so they really like the place. They seem pretty open to moving, but I don't know if they fully understand. The oldest is a die hard Steeler fan of course, so he wont mind. But we are in the same situation as you guys, housing market is not good and need to find a job first.

I know what you mean about getting past Zanesville, I keep thinking maybe if we move to like the outskirts of Zanesville and commute to Columbus, it would at least be closer to "home". Then slowly make our way east ;-) Sometimes I get alittle out of reality trying to figure out how to move out of Columbus. Yes we know lots of people that LOVE Columbus, but I just cant, I have tried also to convince myself to like it here. It really is a great place on paper, I just don't like it.

We may have to start a support group for ex-patriot Pittsburghers. I know alot of Steeler fans meet for games at the Alumni Club in Gahanna, not sure how many are banwagon fans or true 'burghers though.

Good luck,
Jason

Old 06-21-2007, 06:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
There are several "Steeler Clubs" here in the Denver area. A person from Pgh who lives out here in Colo said he'd rather be a Steelers fan here than a Broncos fan in Denver. And that was before the incident at Beaver Falls High School.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:58 AM

85 posts, read 373,647 times
Yeah, I've heard a lot of cities have Steelers Clubs because of the die hard fans. Sometimes I really wish I could just "get over" my desire to move back to the Burgh, because it would make life a lot easier and we could just stay put in Columbus (I don't think that's going to happen, though).

I had originally started this thread inquiring about SAS jobs in banking and healthcare in Pittsburgh...is PNC pretty much the only major bank left in the Burgh at this point? Does anyone know what the work culture/atmosphere is like there, in general? (I know each department and boss, etc. is different but I'm thinking more about the corporate culture...)

Thanks!

Old 07-02-2007, 11:12 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times
Mellon Bank is there. You should also try UPMC.com - local healthcare conglomerate - in fact, the largest employer in SW PA. I don't know if they have SAS programmers, but, hey, it's worth a try.

blessings, Shen

Old 07-02-2007, 11:19 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times
Default UPMC.com - 2 Jobs for SAS

"The UPMC Health Plan Information Technology (IT) Department has the need for an information security analyst with the responsibility for coordination of all technical security and compliance requirements. Responsibilities include systems and networks through the use of automated tools, execution of security processes, procedures and reporting while working with data stewards and application support representatives. Additionally, this position will develop and implement security plans, perform periodic reviews of the security processes, document necessary policies and procedures, act in a leadership role for answering security related questions presented in Request for Proposals (RFP), SOX, SAS 70, and other audits. This position will coordinate security and compliance documentation requirements for the Health Plan IT Department. An associate's degree in computer science, or a related field, at least three years expeirnce in aclient-server, mainframe applications, network, NT and Unix environments, as well as, experience managing security risks and assessing vulnerabilities in servers, networks, and mainframe applications is required. A bachelor's degree is highly preferred." $25+ per hour

"The business systems analyst III analyzes and evaluates clients' business environments and works with information technology (IT) and client professionals to develop requirements for IT solutions. This position will be conducting analyses and reporting on pharmaceutical data as it relates to physical health and behavioral health. In addition, the analyst will also be required to create and maintain standards, procedures and methodologies for analyzing pharmaceutical data. The business systems analyst III will also be accountable for assisting management staff in identifying potential trends and pinpointing target areas for interviewing in care management. Responsibilities include designing, developing, implementing and supporting solutions in both clinical and financial environments working with a broad spectrum of Community Care personnel which includes clinical professionals, physicians, business personnel and personnel from software products and service providers. A bachelor's degree in information systems, business, clinical or financial studies, computer science or related field with a minimum of three years experience in information systems is preferred. A master's degree in a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience is considered. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Previous experience relational databases, data warehouses, SQL and SQL Enterprise Manager, Cognos, SAS and Excel are preferred. Also preferred is knowledge of the National Drug Code directory, experience analyzing drug classes, familiarity with health plan administrative data, claims and eligibility, and pharmacy utilization are also preferred. Attention: SW" $25+ per hour

Old 09-23-2007, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,546 times
Lightbulb Some help and comfort to all making a change or relocating

Hello,

I hope this posting is of some help and comfort to all who are directed to read it.

My wife, two young children and I moved from Coastal CA to Western PA on a leap of faith just a little over one year ago. We moved here with no family, no jobs, no house, and we had never stepped foot in PA prior to moving. Nor did we have a home to sell in CA. We chose Pennsylvania because it represents a good midway point between the colder climate of the north and the warmer climate of the south, as well as a whole host of other reasons. Why did we make such a move? We wanted and needed a change of life. Seeking a new career was one of the catalysts for making this change. My philosophy is one of personal fulfillment of your life’s destiny. That is, if you are not inspired to get up and go to work day in and day out, then you are in the wrong position or line of work. There is nothing worse than going to a job that you have no or little interest in. Just think of how fulfilling and productive our lives would be if we were to live our lives from the perspective of what inspires us. Our lives would take on meaning and direction relative to you as an individual, relative to you and no one else. Through our self-induced change of life, I found my own personal calling or destiny, which also happens to be relative to my God given talents. As should everyone’s line of work be relative to their God given talents. Follow your dreams and aspirations, and you’ll find your life’s work. This is my life’s work, helping others find theirs.

Side note: One’s personal philosophy regarding education will take on a new dimension, one of assisting you in your endeavors.

Signed: Your Life’s Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinsey86 View Post
We just relocated to Pittsburgh a few months ago. My husband had not lived here since joining the military 26 years ago and I had only visited maybe 10 times. We considered various spots of the country to move to after his retirement. He really let me take the lead in choosing. About 6 months from his retirement date and while he was deployed overseas, I decided I really wanted to live in Pittsburgh. I sent him an email and I think I heard him scream with joy from the other side of the world!

We took a leap of faith and headed here in February from the west coast without jobs. Of course we had his military pension to fall back on. I also knew that I had a killer resume and most likely would get a job with ease, which is what happened. He started looking while we were still in Washington State and had no luck. He had heard that most firms in Pittsburgh do not utilize Monster and Career Builder. I know he only got one hit from either of these sites despite his incredible experience and credentials. After about 2 months of being here and 6 months of looking overall, he began a course with others who were "middle age" and were at a crossroads in their careers. From there he made the contacts that eventually landed him a position that was perfect for him. From what we have been told the old adage "It’s who you know" is even more evident in Pittsburgh. Good luck to you. We are loving it here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh