Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 01:20 PM

8 posts, read 16,343 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Can anyone tell me about the safety of North Point Breeze, specifically Penfield Ct (right next to the East End Co-Op)? We are seriously considering renting a house on that street, but I have read some conflicting reports about the safety there on this forum. Unfortunately, we won't be able to visit for quite a while, so we can't drive around the area to get a feel for it first. Would you consider living in that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 02:47 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
I had a friend who lived in one of those townhouses. It was a very nice area: well-kept homes and yards. And being near the co-op was a plus. He never had a problem with safety.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Back in 2003 (the last year for which I have statistics), North Point Breeze fell somewhere between Shadyside and Friendship in terms of overall crime rates. Which isn't that bad, and of course Pittsburgh in general isn't a high crime city. On the other hand, Point Breeze had some of the lowest crime rates in the City, so clearly North Point Breeze is a little different.

As for Penfield Ct specifically, I've never been down there, but it looks like it is its own little thing. That could be good or bad depending on your specific neighbors, but I certainly wouldn't rule it out personally.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,704,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyetta View Post
Hello,

Can anyone tell me about the safety of North Point Breeze, specifically Penfield Ct (right next to the East End Co-Op)? We are seriously considering renting a house on that street, but I have read some conflicting reports about the safety there on this forum. Unfortunately, we won't be able to visit for quite a while, so we can't drive around the area to get a feel for it first. Would you consider living in that area?
I live fairly close, around the corner on South Braddock. I love the neighborhood, but don't like the business of Penn avenue. Home of Pittsburghs worst drivers. Since we have lived in the area, there has been one murder at the Sunoco up the street. The Subway across the street from Sunoco was the scene of a strong armed robbery. There are always accidents on Penn Ave.

Old 04-26-2010, 10:11 PM

8 posts, read 16,343 times
Thank you all for your input. How long have you lived there, Scott? I read about that gas station murder, I believe it was 2 years ago--it was a retaliation thing, I believe. I have also read many complaints about the traffic on Penn.

It appears that we should be fine there. I know some people on these boards warned specifically against even driving through the intersection of Penn & Braddock after 9pm--and also that the eastern edge of N. Point Breeze is unsafe.

We live in Chicago right now so have our share of street smarts & wouldn't do anything stupid, I just don't want to be scared in our own home.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. How long have you lived there, Scott? I read about that gas station murder, I believe it was 2 years ago--it was a retaliation thing, I believe. I have also read many complaints about the traffic on Penn.

It appears that we should be fine there. I know some people on these boards warned specifically against even driving through the intersection of Penn & Braddock after 9pm--and also that the eastern edge of N. Point Breeze is unsafe.

We live in Chicago right now so have our share of street smarts & wouldn't do anything stupid, I just don't want to be scared in our own home.
I go jogging many evenings well after 9 pm and have never been bothered, and I start out at the intersection of Penn and Braddock.

Yes, the murder at the gas station was late September-early October 2008....it was like two weeks before we got married. And yes, correct on the retaliation thing.

I love Point Breeze. There's a great little old time general store called Frick Park Market that I frequent to have lunch. And in the small but beautiful business district, there's Point Brugge Cafe (great Belgian Food and Beer), Make your Mark coffee shop and Pino's (Italian). Also, a convenient pet doctor there too. Oh, and we have lived here almost three years. It will be three years in late August.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:02 AM

356 posts, read 917,016 times
Quote:
I know some people on these boards warned specifically against even driving through the intersection of Penn & Braddock after 9pm
Now that's just silly! seriously.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:11 AM

If you live in Chicago, you are going to have several chuckles when you get here and find out what is sufficient to make some 'Bughers nervous. For example, the intersection of Penn and Braddock is perfectly fine to drive through at any time.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
Now that's just silly! seriously.
I agree. The only thing I warn people of concerning that intersection are the people who run red lights and don't yield to pedestrians. It's a dangerous intersection for accidents.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I agree. The only thing I warn people of concerning that intersection are the people who run red lights and don't yield to pedestrians. It's a dangerous intersection for accidents.
That is definitely true. You also have to watch for people cutting through the gas station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh