Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 02:55 PM

7 posts, read 24,298 times

Advertisements

For sure Sq. Hill seems like a good deal to us - coming from CA - it is embarassing how much we pay for houses out here.

Also, in doing the worst case scenario calculations Hopes suggests, you might find that full reassessment to sale price values don't sting quite as bad at they look: remember you can decuct these property taxes from your federal taxable income value. So, if you are in the tax bracket we are - this helps a lot. Rough figures show that a $10,000 increase in local property taxes will actually cost us some $6,000.

It's not pretty, but $6,000 is sure better than $10,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 10:18 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,540 times
Default ... so, to summarize ...

So ... if I buy a house in Allegheny County in 2007 for, say, $200,000, and the house I'm buying has a 2002-base-year assessed value of, say, $100,000, then the assessed value of my home (for tax purposes) will not change, and I will pay the same propertay taxes as what the seller paid ... until the whole county reassesses ... at which time the school districts and municipalities are legally required to adjust their millage rates down to compensate (unless they have otherwise independently voted to increase taxes in their district).

Is that right?

Old 06-19-2007, 11:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy36win View Post
Is that right?
Not necessarily. Just plan on eventually having to pay taxes based on the purchase price, and you'll be financially prepared.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:37 PM

7 posts, read 24,298 times
Default Almost right, bboy36win, I think

You write: "So ... if I buy a house in Allegheny County in 2007 for, say, $200,000, and the house I'm buying has a 2002-base-year assessed value of, say, $100,000, then the assessed value of my home (for tax purposes) will not change, and I will pay the same propertay taxes as what the seller paid ... until the whole county reassesses ... at which time the school districts and municipalities are legally required to adjust their millage rates down to compensate (unless they have otherwise independently voted to increase taxes in their district).

Is that right?"

Yes - the assessed (2002) value does not automatically change to the new sale price.

BUT there is one more way your taxes can go up (and is currently the most common way): you get your property's assessed value challenged by the school board (or someone else) and you lose that challenge. However (as we have heard) many who have been through this still ultimately had the value of their house rolled back to 2002 values thanks to another court ruling. My biggest confusion is why these challenges are still going on even though most of the assesed value increases have been set aside.

AND, while I agree with Hopes that it is best to be prepared to pay the taxes on your full purchase price, there seems to be significant evidence that: 1) you won't have to pay this amount right away, 2) you may go multiple years without paying it, and 3) the whole system may be forced to change within the next 3-5 years, in which case there is no telling what kind of value and tax rate you will have; could be good, could be bad. 4) If the 2006 law is still in effect, your local taxes cannot increase in dollar value unless a local tax increase vote passes first.

Checks and balances, sort of?

Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedFeelings View Post
BUT there is one more way your taxes can go up (and is currently the most common way): you get your property's assessed value challenged by the school board (or someone else) and you lose that challenge. However (as we have heard) many who have been through this still ultimately had the value of their house rolled back to 2002 values thanks to another court ruling. My biggest confusion is why these challenges are still going on even though most of the assesed value increases have been set aside.
Yes, I find the while "challenge" thing to be confusing, as well. Perhaps the courts did, too.

Seems awfully arbitrary to me. (I'm picturing a fresh-faced county employee spending his days at the courthouse's recorder of deeds, looking over real estate transactions, hoping to find one whose sale price represents a large enough increase over the 2002 assessed value that he can shout - with joy - "Here's one we can go after!").
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: