Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2010, 04:51 PM

14 posts, read 63,486 times

Advertisements

I need a restaurant recommendation for a nice b-day dinner - any cuisine, nothing too crazy price-wise, but I don't want Applebees either. We'll be in town early June and staying downtown. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 06:51 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,231,669 times
Try Six Penn Kitchen Downtown.

http://www.sixpennkitchen.com/menu.aspx (broken link)

or Sonoma Grille.

http://www.thesonomagrille.com/Website2/dinner.php#signature (broken link)

Both restaurants are in the 15-30 dollar range for dinner entrees, which is less than other fine dining establishments Downtown. You mentioned Applebees. Our Downtown does not have many of these restaurants Downtown anyway except for Max and Ermas. Downtown Pittsburgh for dinner is mostly upscale, pizza shops, and fast food. There is a demand for the 10-20 dollar dinner entree family place. For that you can head over to Station Square or maybe even to the North Shore to Jerome Bettis' place.

Last edited by nuwaver88; 05-08-2010 at 07:01 PM..

Old 05-08-2010, 07:15 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Six Penn and Sonoma Grille are both good suggestions. I also like Tonic and Seviche:

Tonic Bar & Grill | 412.456.0460
Best Pittsburgh Happy Hour and Tapas Restaurant | SEVICHE

In The Strip, which is right next to Downtown, you could look at Eleven, Kaya, Sushi Kim, or Lidia's:

ELEVEN CONTEMPORARY KITCHEN (http://bigburrito.com/eleven/eleven.shtml - broken link)
Kaya * Island Cuisine in The Strip District
main
Lidia's - Pittsburgh

Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 AM

22 posts, read 56,952 times
Depending on your tastes, I would recommend two of my favorite places, both downtown (next to each other on 6th St.) -- Christos and The Lemon Grass Cafe (Greek and Cambodian, respectively). The issue with those places, though, is that while the food is excellent and of special-dinner quality (and at Christos, they make their own wine and have a specialty homemade dessert that's fantastic), the atmosphere / wait staff inside both isn't going to be as antiseptic and innocuous as a Six Penn. Christos looks like it's been built into some old man's kitchen, and while The Lemon Grass looks pretty inside, sometimes its wait staff and management are a little . . . underimpressive. However -- love them both. My girlfriend and I had our two-year anniversary at Christos, with red wine and flaming cheese and the Jackie Onassis custard cake. Divine.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:01 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd1206 View Post
I need a restaurant recommendation for a nice b-day dinner - any cuisine, nothing too crazy price-wise, but I don't want Applebees either. We'll be in town early June and staying downtown. TIA
You like Italian? I'd suggest Alexanders Italian Bistro. Its a locally owned small restaurant, in Bloomfield, which is called Pittsburgh "Little Italy" and its been voted best Italian restaurant in Pittsburgh before. The food is good, you'll be nice and full, and their prices aren't outrageous at all. They have outside seating, too, if you prefer to eat outside. Here is their website and menu. Bloomfield is about 5-10 minutes from downtown by vehicle. Straight shot up Liberty Avenue so there is no way you should get lost.

Alexanders Italian Bistro

Old 05-10-2010, 09:40 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Alexanders is great--my favorite non-pizza Italian place in Pittsburgh.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Alexanders is great--my favorite non-pizza Italian place in Pittsburgh.
Better than Piccilo Forno? Yes, I know they do have pizza.

All of the Downtown places mentioned are good. I think Six Penn is probably the best "nice" suggestion for the money. Tonic is great for happy hour, but I find the food overpriced for the taste and the atmosphere. Nine on None, and Habitat are both very good, but also a good bit more expensive.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:59 PM

747 posts, read 1,232,243 times
If you preferr lunch, try the pittsburgh culinary school restaurant in the Clark Building on Liberty Ave. For $11.00 per person, you get a three course lunch with white table clothes!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh