Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 09:43 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBurg View Post
Definitely get the stereotypes about pollution out of your head before deciding on wherre to live. Pittsburgh isn't the same city it used to be.. it's very clean, green, and one of the safer cities that you can move to.
I beg to differ. What you can't see is killing you.

According to the American Lung Association's annual "State of the Air" report, Pittsburgh ranks as the second dirtiest metropolitan area on both short-term and annual airborne particle measurement scales. Only Los Angeles' air is dirtier

you can read on... Soot soars in city, but smog drops

Captain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 09:58 PM

522 posts, read 1,794,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
Pollution in Pittsburgh isn't that bad, especially compared to what it used to be. In fact it's probably less polluted then most cities. \\. Pittsburgh is way less polluted in Dallas

In 2006 Dallas had 115 days of "good" air quality, 62 of "moderate, and 5 "unhealthy"

In 2006 Pittsburgh had 114 days of "good" air quality, 59 of "moderate", and 9 "unhealthy"

source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

The lady has family with severe allergies. Data goes alot further than "Pollution isn't that bad". If you check that EPA site, you can drill it down to air quality in specific areas too. It appears the Pittsburgh air is worst where you'd expect it to be...downtown and near the industrial centers. 40 miles out it appeared to be "average" when compared to other places across the country. That website might be a good resource for you.

Captain

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
In 2006 Dallas had 115 days of "good" air quality, 62 of "moderate, and 5 "unhealthy"

In 2006 Pittsburgh had 114 days of "good" air quality, 59 of "moderate", and 9 "unhealthy"

source: U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

The lady has family with severe allergies. Data goes alot further than "Pollution isn't that bad". If you check that EPA site, you can drill it down to air quality in specific areas too. It appears the Pittsburgh air is worst where you'd expect it to be...downtown and near the industrial centers. 40 miles out it appeared to be "average" when compared to other places across the country. That website might be a good resource for you.

Captain
The point the other posters are missing is the OP has a child who is severely compromised from chemo... that to me was the reason she was looking for the cleanest environment possible.

I think sometimes we react to "hot button" words and don't think about to whom we are saying things.

Old 06-29-2007, 03:08 PM

9 posts, read 27,108 times
Thank you all very much- I find it charming that people are so quick to defend their city and I find it very reassuring that someone would be kind enough to look up those statistics out of concern for my daughters health . I am looking forward to the move - my children are excited as well . Our hope is late December - we are dealing with a mini nightmare ( nothing like world hunger but worse than ugly shoes) of trying to find financing on under 50k for under 30 years . No one wants to loan 25-30 k for 10 years with 20% down - isnt that nuts? So we are considering owner finance as well , possibly renting so we can get a feel for the area. My oldest daughter (14) asked me to ask all of you who has the best girls softball league ?
You all seem lovely and I thank you for your kindnesses and consideration.
May God Lovingly Bless!

Old 06-30-2007, 09:31 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,978 times
Regarding the American Lung Association report, there was some issue with basing it on only one monitoring site in an industrial area. See the following article: FOUL! - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

If you are concerned about air pollution, a good rule-of-thumb is to stay out of the valleys. Sometimes pollution can get trapped there during certain weather conditions. In general, Pittsburgh's weather is pretty active and air stagnation isn't usually a problem. Texas generally has more problems with air stagnation than the northeastern U.S.

Last edited by kpoeppel; 06-30-2007 at 09:44 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 10:06 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,978 times
MurphyPride,

Another thing for you to consider: due to the hills, it generally takes more time to travel 40 miles in western PA compared to TX or anywhere else in the midwest/great plains. PA has an older road network which was laid out long before the age of the automobile. These roads are not straight or on a regular grid (except in city centers), due to the hills. While Pittsburgh has far fewer total cars on the road than Dallas/Ft. Worth, the narrow winding roads, intersections that lack left-turn lanes, etc can cause quite a few traffic snarls.

Personally, I love the hills and intersting geography around Pittsburgh. The only downside is that it can mean longer travel times. You might want to look for a place in the 20-30 mile range of the oncology center, rather than 40 miles, unless you can find a house near an interstate highway.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,604 times
Default Lower Taxes In Lawrence County

I live just outside of Ellwood City, and until last year, worked in downtown Pittsburgh. Depending on the time of day, it took me on average 40 - 50 minutes to drive to the Mellon Arena area.

Ellwood City really is a very nice small town, reasonable priced homes, nice small town atomosphere, friendly folks, and nice proximity to national parks, lakes, hiking, shopping etc. With an Episcopal Church, and a nice small hospital with good ratings. Pediatric Oncology fac, can be found within that one hour drive in either Boardman Ohio or Pittsburgh.

Other than that, if you want out in the country, in this area, and around New Castle, there's Shenango, Wilmington, Portersville. You would really have to speak with a RE Agent for the information on what those designations mean for New Castle. There are nice sections, and there are bad sections. Personally, for the cheaper taxes that you'll get in Lawrence County, within that one hour drive for either Pittsburgh (along with being an easy drive into town along I-79), or Boardman Ohio - I'd stick with the Ellwood City area.

blessings, Shen

Old 07-01-2007, 05:30 PM

12 posts, read 40,909 times
One of the most beautiful and family friendly towns in the Pittsburgh area is Beaver. It is along the Ohio River, and has many parks, churches, and a gorgeous downtown. It's a dry town, with sidewalks, and tree-lined streets.
The commute to Pittsburgh is an easy 40 minutes, and the schools are top rated. The housing can be upscale and pricey along the river, but there are also older homes in and around your price range, I think.
It's like living in the 1950's, where everyone walks and rides bikes through the town. The town has a lovely public pool that all of the kids who live in town walk to. It is safe and quiet.
I hope this helps, and God bless you and your family.

Terri1050

Old 05-22-2009, 09:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,032 times
check out the real estate in portersville. cheaper than cranberry. rural setting. great schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh