Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,824,752 times

Advertisements

I read an article that said food prices rose significantly in the first quarter of 2010. They blamed the freeze in Florida for rising produce prices. But I wonder if the rapidly growing use of food stamps has anything to do with this? It's simple supply and demand. With Millions of Americans now swiping their food stamp cards to pay for groceries food is artificially flying off the shelves that would sit there otherwise. I don't see how this could not cause inflation. If food sales were down due to the economy the prices would be going down not up..

If I am correct that food stamps are causing food prices to go higher...The working class who struggle to get by yet do not qualify for food stamps should have nothing but the deepest animosity towards food stamp users.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 02:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I read an article that said food prices rose significantly in the first quarter of 2010. They blamed the freeze in Florida for rising produce prices. But I wonder if the rapidly growing use of food stamps has anything to do with this? It's simple supply and demand. With Millions of Americans now swiping their food stamp cards to pay for groceries food is artificially flying off the shelves that would sit there otherwise. I don't see how this could not cause inflation. If food sales were down due to the economy the prices would be going down not up..

If I am correct that food stamps are causing food prices to go higher...The working class who struggle to get by yet do not qualify for food stamps should have nothing but the deepest animosity towards food stamp users.

I have no animosity toward those who get Food Stamps. Once in my entire working life for three months I was forced to get Food Stamps and some assistance with Heating Oil. I was sooooo happy it was there. I don't blame the poor for the inequities of our society. The rich who stole 40% of the economy should be made to give back some of what they have stolen over the past decade.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Food stamps are like PELL Grants..

When you are getting it for free, you dont care what the price is.

When you are providing a service to individuals getting things for free, the price to consumers has no relationship to the cost to provide the services.

There are numerous colleges in america who have enough cash that they could provide college for everyone attending for free, forever.. (interest is enough to provide educational costs), but they continue to increase pricing yearly.

I heard that the cost of food is more expensive the beginning of the month due to stamps, I could see how more stamps = higher costs for everyone..

Old 04-23-2010, 02:45 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I have no animosity toward those who get Food Stamps. Once in my entire working life for three months I was forced to get Food Stamps and some assistance with Heating Oil. I was sooooo happy it was there. I don't blame the poor for the inequities of our society. The rich who stole 40% of the economy should be made to give back some of what they have stolen over the past decade.
Lenin would be so proud of you. Nice to know "working" is consdiered "stealing" by libbies.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Lenin would be so proud of you. Nice to know "working" is consdiered "stealing" by libbies.
You Corporate Bosses are proud of you too. After all they walk off with 40% of the economy and you cheer them on.

Dick Army and Freedomworks will get you a free bus ride to the next Tea Bagger Express meeting

Old 04-23-2010, 03:45 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
With Millions of Americans now swiping their food stamp cards to pay for groceries food is artificially flying off the shelves that would sit there otherwise.
As opposed to food growing stale when folks were earning money? During economic good times was everyone on a diet and then suddenly decided to binge eat when they lost their jobs?

Where do folks come up with this stuff?

Quote:
If I am correct
Don't worry, you aren't.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
The biggest culprit of high food prices is farm subsidies.

And yes a higher percentage of people using food stamps would drive up prices.

Anytime the government subsidizes something the price goes up. That is exactly why healthcare got so expensive the last 20 years or so. Government subsidies.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:58 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,241,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
You Corporate Bosses are proud of you too. After all they walk off with 40% of the economy and you cheer them on.

Dick Army and Freedomworks will get you a free bus ride to the next Tea Bagger Express meeting
So we should go break into their homes and take what is rightfully ours, right?

Old 04-23-2010, 04:05 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,607,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Food stamps are like PELL Grants..

When you are getting it for free, you dont care what the price is.

When you are providing a service to individuals getting things for free, the price to consumers has no relationship to the cost to provide the services.

There are numerous colleges in america who have enough cash that they could provide college for everyone attending for free, forever.. (interest is enough to provide educational costs), but they continue to increase pricing yearly.

I heard that the cost of food is more expensive the beginning of the month due to stamps, I could see how more stamps = higher costs for everyone..
Absolute garbage. I have had a couple times in my life when I was unemployed and qualified for food stamps for a month or two. I was just as conscious of prices as anyone else. Food stamps have a finite value just as the paper dollars in your wallet. When they ran out I had no more food. I purchased the best value I could find.

Sure, I was glad to get as much as I could qualify for and wished I could get more. I had a couple young kids that ate as much as could be shoveled in their mouths and did not care if the fridge was empty, they still wanted more.

I don't see any relation to Food stamps and food prices as the percentage of sales on food stamps compared to cash sales is way to insignificant in the grand scheme. Stores are throwing away spoilt food and out of date canned products daily, so there is not a supply deficit affecting the price equation. Food stamp buyers do not conspire to purchase only select items or specific brands, so there is no targeted consumption to force specific products to increase in price.

My experience with Food stamps also did not have the distribution occurring at the beginning of the month. They were staggered based on when you applied for them. Any start of the month price increases you have observed are not a result of Food Stamp distribution and it does not take that model.

I would love to see any docs you have on the cash rich colleges, most of those I am familiar with have heavy demands on their cash reserves and would be closed in under a year if they did not charge tuition and fees even if they did not upgrade their facilities and equipment. Even the UT system with its large income from Oil is heavily burdened with operating expenses and cannot exist without student funding.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:11 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
As opposed to food growing stale when folks were earning money? During economic good times was everyone on a diet and then suddenly decided to binge eat when they lost their jobs?

Where do folks come up with this stuff?
You are only thinking of the price at the store.

Here's a bit of how the food stamp program works in NYC:

~The Food Stamp Program provides coupons and Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards to low-income families to buy food. This is a federal program operated by State and local welfare offices.

You can go to any HRA Job Center or Food Stamp Office to apply for food stamps. Please be advised that there were recent expansions in immigrant eligibility for Food Stamps and many immigrants who were not eligible previously may now be eligible. See Food Stamp Flyer. There are 20 Food Stamp offices in New York City, open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Your application can take up to 30 days to be processed, but if you have an emergency you may be eligible for an emergency benefit within 5 days. If you apply for public assistance at a job center, you will fill out a Food Stamp application at the same time. Visit the HRA Web site for a list of NYC job centers.

All Food Stamp offices are now required to translate all materials into Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Haitian-Creole, French, Arabic, Korean, Vietnamese and Yiddish. If you need an interpreter, be sure you tell the office, and they will provide one for you free of charge.~

When I go and buy a loaf of bread with my own money I pay the actual price and nothing more. Usually about a $1.20..........When someone uses food stamps taxpayers pay what the store charges for the loaf of bread plus all the stuff listed above. It wouldn't suprise me a bit if a loaf of bread bought by food stamps was really $50 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies