Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 01:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,235,880 times

Advertisements

Inspired by Tightwad's excellent thread about RW fears. Look past the faux-drama and recognize what your "leaders" really want.
“I fear it may end the progress of a great country and bring its people to the level of the average European. It will furnish delicious food and add great strength to the political demagogue. It will assist in driving worthy and courageous men from public life. It will discourage and defeat the American trait of thrift. It will go a long way toward destroying American initiative and courage.”
—Senator Daniel O. Hastings (R-DE), in 1935, listing the evils of Social Security

“It is destroying the amicable relations between the white and Negro races that have been created through 90 years of patient effort by the good people of both races. It has planted hatred and suspicion where there has been heretofore friendship and understanding.”
—Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC), Senator Richard Russell (D-GA), and other Southern legislators, in 1956, describing the perils of integrating public schools

“[The Act represents] a step in the direction of Communism, bolshevism, fascism, and Nazism.”
—The National Association of Manufacturers, in 1938, condemning a national minimum wage and guaranteed overtime pay

A Blue View: The Apocalypse The Right-Wing Fears With Stupifying Consistency Has Not Come To Pass
In the modern day:

Palin’s “Death Panels” Charge Named “Lie of the Year” - Washington Wire - WSJ

PolitiFact | Statements we say are Pants-on-Fire!

(I just like this one ) PolitiFact | Rush Limbaugh says because of Obama, people can't go fishing anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 03:26 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,464,171 times
The lying, the use of scare tactics, &c. is what disgusts me the most. ESPECIALLY Glenn Beck, who keeps a loyal audience by scaring the living daylights out of it on a daily basis. There are people who know better and use this stuff just as politics, and then there are people who actually fall for it and are scared ****less right now. And I feel so bad for them.

My friend's grandmother cashed in her 401k and bought a bunch of gold. :-( D'oh!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:28 PM

19,040 posts, read 14,280,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The lying, the use of scare tactics, &c. is what disgusts me the most. ESPECIALLY Glenn Beck, who keeps a loyal audience by scaring the living daylights out of it on a daily basis. There are people who know better and use this stuff just as politics, and then there are people who actually fall for it and are scared ****less right now. And I feel so bad for them.

My friend's grandmother cashed in her 401k and bought a bunch of gold. :-( D'oh!
Smart woman!

Old 06-12-2010, 03:33 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,464,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Smart woman!
See, saying stuff like that to me is fine for political rhetoric, but when old people actually fall for it and buy thousands of dollars worth of gold at ridiculously marked up prices it becomes immoral.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
“I fear it may end the progress of a great country and bring its people to the level of the average European. It will furnish delicious food and add great strength to the political demagogue. It will assist in driving worthy and courageous men from public life. It will discourage and defeat the American trait of thrift. It will go a long way toward destroying American initiative and courage.â€â€”Senator Daniel O. Hastings (R-DE), in 1935, listing the evils of Social Security
And is it not true that there are generations who have lived upon the public dole?
Last count, roughly 50% didn't pay income taxes - but received a "share of the booty" stolen from the taxpayers.

Quote:
“It is destroying the amicable relations between the white and Negro races that have been created through 90 years of patient effort by the good people of both races. It has planted hatred and suspicion where there has been heretofore friendship and understanding.â€â€”Senator Strom Thurmond (D-SC), Senator Richard Russell (D-GA), and other Southern legislators, in 1956, describing the perils of integrating public schools
And was it surprising that many public school systems suffered "flight" to private schools, in response to mandatory integration? Thus school districts become battle grounds between the tax payers and the beneficiaries - who are often mutually exclusive.

Quote:
“[The Act represents] a step in the direction of Communism, bolshevism, fascism, and Nazism.â€â€”The National Association of Manufacturers, in 1938, condemning a national minimum wage and guaranteed overtime pay
If wages were paid in lawful money (gold / silver coin), then it would have been an outrage. But since 1933, no lawful money has circulated, so this objection is misplaced.
Pursuant to law, the Federal Reserve note (dollar bill) has no par value (worthless). Therefore increasing or decreasing the remuneration in worthless paper is moot.

See: Title 12 USC sec. 411, and House Joint Resolution 192 (1933).

Old 06-12-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
See, saying stuff like that to me is fine for political rhetoric, but when old people actually fall for it and buy thousands of dollars worth of gold at ridiculously marked up prices it becomes immoral.
I agree that the prices are ridiculous.
But if you read the law, it is even more insane.

By law, before the bankruptcy of 1933, a one ounce gold coin = 20 dollars. And one could exchange a 20 dollar note for one ounce of gold.

By law, after 1933, a Federal Reserve note (dollar bill) was worthless.

Therefore, no matter how much one spends, in FRNs, for gold, it's a STEAL.

The fool who sells his gold for FRNs is the victim.

(World wide estimates for gold supply is roughly 1/2 ounce percapita. Or the equivalent to $10 "US" - pre bankruptcy)

Old 06-12-2010, 03:44 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,129,919 times
Quote:

OH NO ! We all know how worthless gold is !
Shoot , it's a shame she didn't get some magic beans .

Old 06-12-2010, 03:47 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,129,919 times
Quote:
Prices are only marked up on collectibles . Look at any website , look at Canadian gold coins , not much above the ounce price . Look for yourself , don't just listen to what others say . It will take you 5 min and you won't look foolish next time .

Old 06-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Caveat - though I commented on the wisdom of buying gold, I personally do not advocate stockpiling gold as an investment strategy.

My crystal ball (cracked?) sees an imminent SHTF coming.

Thus it would be far wiser to first invest in a supply of food and other necessities to tide one over the "bumps".

How long is that "bump"....?
Well, that's a good question.

And for long term prosperity, I would strongly suggest investing in shelter that does not require excessive power or resupply. (Superinsulated, alternative energy, solar augmented, humanure composting, rainwater collection, frugal, etc.).
And if near to transportation that is not dependent upon petroleum, that is an added bonus. (Navigable water, railroads suitable for electrification, etc).

Disaster avoidance is far better than a paid up insurance policy.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,235,880 times
Quote:

I feel bad for them, but they choose to be that way for whatever reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies