Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 08:42 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,302,792 times

Advertisements

"Dog is a fine meal"

- Mel Gibson, The Patriot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 08:44 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,692,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
"Dog is a fine meal"

- Mel Gibson, The Patriot
Well, if I were starving, and did not have the cultural baggage of not eating dogs, and I saw a dirty pig and a dog within reach, guess which one would be on the BBQ....

Old 06-12-2010, 08:54 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,334,951 times
Yet another disgusting story of our complete disregard for the animals we share this planet with. Mark Twain had it right when he said the following:

Quote:
"Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. Of the entire

brood, he is the only one that possesses malice. He is the only

creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The

fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual

superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong

proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."--Mark

Twain
FYI, muslims do not typically keep dogs as pets, especially in middle eastern countries. Dogs are seen as unclean animals not to be allowed to share the same house with humans. They don't view dogs as pets which probably contributes to the wild dog overpopulation since there are no available adoptive families to take them in. I'm not sure if this is a religious stance or just a cultural phenom.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:01 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,652,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
A million stray dogs is unclean.
And dangerous. Feral dogs are nasty . This is hardly a situation unique to Iraq though, Wherever there has been major conflict like this, dogs stray off and go wild. They just fall back on instinct. I'm sure they have a feral cat issue as well. These critters have been roaming about scavenging, probably even feeding on human corpses, and need to be eliminated. Packs of wild dogs are not exactly good neighbors. Oh, but I can hear the howling from PETA about this. Maybe if those cretins had to actually live in proximity to these animals . LMAO, bet that would change their view of the fuzzy little darlings. These dogs are not exactly Benji or Lassie.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:34 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,907,264 times
better to breathe in depleted uranium. ya...that's the ticket.... (sarcasm alert)

Old 06-12-2010, 11:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,788,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That's a nice thought, but Iraq barely functions as a nation-state. Who's going to organize adoptions for huge numbers of puppies...to say nothing of the logistics involved in moving them anywhere else in the world?
The various European and American Humane Societies could do it. I don't think there are that many puppies- if there are 1.2 million dogs, I would assume maybe 200,000 of them are pups that would be adoptable in Iraq, Europe and the United States. The US military can assist with the logistics of moving the puppies to other countries and handing them off to the civilian humane people there.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,334,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
The various European and American Humane Societies could do it. I don't think there are that many puppies- if there are 1.2 million dogs, I would assume maybe 200,000 of them are pups that would be adoptable in Iraq, Europe and the United States. The US military can assist with the logistics of moving the puppies to other countries and handing them off to the civilian humane people there.
The logistics of moving and transporting that number of dogs would be very difficult. Have you seen No Dog Left Behind: Operation Baghdad Pups on the Military Channel? They were able to rescue quite a few dogs from Iraq. It's a very heartwarming story of the bond between humans and animals. I highly recommend watching it!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,339,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
They carry fleas and ticks which also carry disease.
Send in the Medi-Vets!

Old 06-12-2010, 09:47 PM

19,858 posts, read 12,134,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
The logistics of moving and transporting that number of dogs would be very difficult. Have you seen No Dog Left Behind: Operation Baghdad Pups on the Military Channel? They were able to rescue quite a few dogs from Iraq. It's a very heartwarming story of the bond between humans and animals. I highly recommend watching it!

I loved the book.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:50 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,339,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yet another disgusting story of our complete disregard for the animals we share this planet with. Mark Twain had it right when he said the following:

FYI, muslims do not typically keep dogs as pets, especially in middle eastern countries. Dogs are seen as unclean animals not to be allowed to share the same house with humans. They don't view dogs as pets which probably contributes to the wild dog overpopulation since there are no available adoptive families to take them in. I'm not sure if this is a religious stance or just a cultural phenom.
Worth repeating.

"Of all the creatures, man is the most detestable. Of the entire

brood, he is the only one that possesses malice. He is the only

creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain. The

fact that man knows right from wrong proves his intellectual

superiority to the other creatures; but the fact that he can do wrong

proves his moral inferiority to any creature that cannot."--Mark

Twain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies