Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times

Advertisements

NewsNow: Loading story...

The US is clearly on the path of lowering the bar for both human and civil rights as this article illustrates. In the name of national security we are now willing to violate the rights of citizens and non-citizens alike. It is little wonder we are viewed as hypocrites by much of the rest of the world when we preach human rights to others and exclude ourselves from those same ethics. Violations of the human rights of world citizens and the suspension of rights here in the US are unacceptable. The government has become oppressive and needs to be reigned in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 01:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Oh please. Asking for ID or making sure you don't have weapons at the airport/border is not lowering any standards for human or civil rights.

The Canadian government will take care of whatever happened with this Syrian immigrant.

And you are basing this from an article written in England?

In fact, we advance in civil rights and human rights. What other country do you know of has millions of ILLEGALS on welfare? What other country donates the most to foreign causes when forgetting our OWN citizens at times? Please, spare me the bull****. I simply cannot tolerate this whining anymore. We have sadly reached a time where security is more important. I would rather they check for you ID than be scared of "invading" rights and having you blow up the plane we are on.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:47 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Truly disgusting. Our failure to treat human beings like human beings--even if it's just once--blemishes our reputation further. That we do this with extreme disinterest is even more telling. It tells the rest of the world we are exactly what they claim we are. While our citizens think and believe we represent a shining example of human rights and freedoms to the world, those same citizens close their eyes to these reports and continue to insist on our exceptionalism. We are barbarians as much as those we label as such, perhaps even worse because we do nothing about it.

Of course, someone will complain that this is anti-American. Grow up. We need to live up to our standards or stand down when the rest of the world's rage comes a knockin'. It's our choice. I say we clean up our act.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Oh please. Asking for ID or making sure you don't have weapons at the airport/border is not lowering any standards for human or civil rights.

The Canadian government will take care of whatever happened with this Syrian immigrant.

And you are basing this from an article written in England?

In fact, we advance in civil rights and human rights. What other country do you know of has millions of ILLEGALS on welfare? What other country donates the most to foreign causes when forgetting our OWN citizens at times? Please, spare me the bull****. I simply cannot tolerate this whining anymore. We have sadly reached a time where security is more important. I would rather they check for you ID than be scared of "invading" rights and having you blow up the plane we are on.
You really believe the Patriot Act was to protect us? The Patriot Act was meant to target the American people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies