Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:15 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,466,589 times

Advertisements

A New Civil Rights Movement - Slide Show - NYTimes.com

This is a slide show about illegal aliens, how horribly they are being treated, and about them learning to stand up for their "rights." I think it's absolutely disgusting to use language like "Civil Rights Movement" when talking about illegals. Disgusting.

If I were black and had fought to earn the equal rights I deserved as an American and then heard this crap, I would be infuriated.

It focuses in large part on, and was apparently inspired by, the new Alabama immigration law. However, it also talks about people who I presume are illegals in some other states in the South (it is obvious that this is about illegal immigration, but the slide show attempts to hide the people's legal status).

I know we have a separate illegal immigration forum, but I think the comparison to the Civil Rights Movement and to racism makes this appropriate for the general forum.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 12-20-2011 at 08:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 07:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If I were black
But you aren't.

Quote:
the equal rights I deserved as an American
I prefer to think that the Civil Rights Movement was to achieve the rights of African Americans as human beings.

I would also prefer that folks stop running about telling me and other African Americans what we should or shouldn't be upset about.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I would also prefer that folks stop running about telling me and other African Americans what we should or shouldn't be upset about.
Do you think the majority of your fellow African Americans would consider there to be great parallels between the illegals' current situation and the situation of African Americans in, say, the 1960's?

I would absolutely say no.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:25 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
There's no shortage of The Entitled in America. It's precisely why we will be a superpower in military strength only in a few short years. Frankly, an overwhelming presence and increase in brown skinned people in this country means that the United States will die a slow death. We're already seeing it seeping in on a daily basis. A net drag on the economy can only last so long before everything implodes.

(No offense to the decent, hard-working minorities on this board. I think you know where i'm coming from, though, and hopefully America in decline infuriates you too.)

Old 12-20-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There's no shortage of The Entitled in America. It's precisely why we will be a superpower in military strength only in a few short years. Frankly, an overwhelming presence and increase in brown skinned people in this country means that the United States will die a slow death. We're already seeing it seeping in on a daily basis. A net drag on the economy can only last so long before everything implodes.

(No offense to the decent, hard-working minorities on this board. I think you know where i'm coming from, though, and hopefully America in decline infuriates you too.)
This is NOT about race. This is about people breaking the laws of the United States, taking jobs from those of us (including all minorities) who have a right to be here, and costing us a lot of money we don't have when they shouldn't be here in the first place.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
This is NOT about race. This is about people breaking the laws of the United States, taking jobs from those of us (including all minorities) who have a right to be here, and costing us a lot of money we don't have when they shouldn't be here in the first place.
It may be convenient for you to ignore race and ethnicity, but i'd wager for most Angry Americans, it has PLENTY to do with watching the social fabric that has made this country great unravel with every illegal border crossing.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Do you think the majority of your fellow African Americans would consider there to be great parallels between the illegals' current situation and the situation of African Americans in, say, the 1960's?
Not being a pollster, I don't know. Never having been a follower, I don't care. What I do know is what Dr. King had to say on the subject.

"As brothers in the fight for equality, I extend the hand of fellowship and good will and wish continuing success to you and your members. The fight for equality must be fought on many fronts -- in the urban slums, in the sweat shops of the factories and fields. Our separate struggles are really one -- a struggle for freedom, for dignity and humanity. You and your valiant fellow workers have demonstrated your commitment to righting grievous wrongs forced upon exploited people. We are together with you in spirit and in determination..."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr, in a telegram to Ceasar Chavez, Sept, 22, 1966.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:49 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,957 times
What a sickening article! Illegals are not people standing up for inherent human rights. They're not Martin Luther King rightfully asking that American citizens of all colors be equal before the law.

They're lazy trespassers who've decided the world's 12th largest economy isn't good enough for them. They come here in violation of our laws, disdainfully refuse to learn our language and then throw hissy fits when we dare ask them to leave. They drive without licenses, overcrowd our schools, work off the books and even have the nerve to arrogant ask us to pay for their medical bills when Mexico has national medical insurance and Americans do not.

I'm a liberal but I'm sick to death of illegals. We have a horrid economy. The last thing we need to worry about right now are the economy needs and desires of Mexico's least able citizens. Illegals are a huge burden on this country. They compete for jobs with our own lower classes and increase taxes on our struggling middle class.

The sooner they leave the better off most of us non-Mexicans will be.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
They're not Martin Luther King rightfully asking that American citizens of all colors be equal before the law.
King didn't care about citizenship based upon borders but rather citizenship within humanity itself.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:10 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,307,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
But you aren't.

I prefer to think that the Civil Rights Movement was to achieve the rights of African Americans as human beings.

I am. Am I allowed to tell you how I feel about this?

I think it is wrong and it is very disrespectful to see these groups and people trying to compare themselves to LEGAL Black Americans.

The truth is that most other Black Americans that I know don't understand why illegal immigrants are here and demanding the ability to stay here.

Illegal immigrants are cutting into jobs for Black Americans (and tons of other Americans), the least the illegal immigrants could do is not ALSO try to use our previous efforts to their advantage.

I am so disappointed when I see Hispanic (non-Black Hispanics) try to take our history and use it to their advantage. I could understand if these were LEGAL Hispanics who were feeling an injustice as am American, but so far it has only revolved around illegal immigrant Hispanics and we (Black people) are NOT illegal immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies