Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
File:Boulanger Gustave Clarence Rudolphe The Slave Market.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I find it interesting that when we talk slavery, it is essentially a concept only befallen of blacks. Slavery is indiscriminate of color, it is a money and power thing and as old as time, it is not something that any one race can claim ownership of.
No one said that slavery was unique to blacks in the history of human kind. WHo said that? We are talking about the ramifications of slavery and racial oppression in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 05:45 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
I'm part Slavic, never realized the origin of the word "Slave". Maybe I should be the one bitching hmmmmm?

Quote:
slave: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com

WORD HISTORY The derivation of the word slave encapsulates a bit of European history and explains why the two words slaves and Slavs are so similar; they are, in fact, historically identical. The word slave first appears in English around 1290, spelled sclave. The spelling is based on Old French esclave from Medieval Latin sclavus, "Slav, slave," first recorded around 800. Sclavus comes from Byzantine Greek sklabos (pronounced sklävōs) "Slav," which appears around 580. Sklavos approximates the Slavs' own name for themselves, the Slověnci, surviving in English Slovene and Slovenian. The spelling of English slave, closer to its original Slavic form, first appears in English in 1538. Slavs became slaves around the beginning of the ninth century when the Holy Roman Empire tried to stabilize a German-Slav frontier. By the 12th century stabilization had given way to wars of expansion and extermination that did not end until the Poles crushed the Teutonic Knights at Grunwald in 1410. • As far as the Slavs' own self-designation goes, its meaning is, understandably, better than "slave"; it comes from the Indo-European root *kleu-, whose basic meaning is "to hear" and occurs in many derivatives meaning "renown, fame." The Slavs are thus "the famous people." Slavic names ending in -slav incorporate the same word, such as Czech Bohu-slav, "God's fame," Russian Msti-slav, "vengeful fame," and Polish Stani-slaw, "famous for withstanding (enemies)."

Old 06-14-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm part Slavic, never realized the origin of the word "Slave". Maybe I should be the one bitching hmmmmm?
You are a day late and a dollar short. I have already presented that already in post 99 //www.city-data.com/forum/14613941-post99.html I likely know more about the history of white folks than do most white folks. If you did not know that the word etimology of "slave" being derived from "slavic".....you don't know enough to really be debating anything. If you don't know your OWN history.....you sure are not qualified to talk about mine.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:55 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times
I despise poetic license. What's "haunting" about it? How is it a "testament to the dark side"? It's a picture of two kids sitting on a barrel. That's it. That's all it is. Just two kids sitting on a barrel. Why is their a need to make more of the something than there actually is. Yes, it's a rare find. The photo itself reveals nothing. What, the kids aren't smiling? Nobody smiled in photos back then. It is a great historical find. That's it.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:59 PM

469 posts, read 579,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Ok, 4 Million black slaves and 3 white ones.

Yeah, that was the count, 4 million to 3. Clearly no attempt to perpetuate a status of supreme victim here.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:02 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No one said that slavery was unique to blacks in the history of human kind. WHo said that? We are talking about the ramifications of slavery and racial oppression in the USA.

Oh my. I thought you started this to talk about a picture that was found of historic value and here it was all an opportunity to lash out at whitie.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:08 PM

615 posts, read 545,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Hey Einstein, those children were not "poor kids", they were SLAVES.

Secondly, your ancestors did not face simliar conditions HERE IN AMERICA because your ancestors WERE NOT SLAVES. Your ancestors may have faced similar conditions or worse back in Europe, but NOT HERE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.
You sound extremely unintelligent, how are you going to tell me how my ancestors lived? Do you know the black kid in the picture was sold for $1100 dollars, a huge sum for that time. I guarantee you his "owner" didn't spend all that money on him to abuse him, and by the looks of him he was well fed. Feudalism in Europe was worse then living as a slave in the United States, where you were guaranteed food in your belly and a roof over your head. You've been brainwashed to believe the be all and end all of slavery was the enslavement of blacks in the USA, but thats not true, slavery has been with us since the creation of man. There is nothing unique about the enslavment of blacks in the USA. To you I say get educated!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:23 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
You sound extremely unintelligent, how are you going to tell me how my ancestors lived? Do you know the black kid in the picture was sold for $1100 dollars, a huge sum for that time.
Quote:
I guarantee you his "owner" didn't spend all that money on him to abuse him, and by the looks of him he was well fed.
Feudalism in Europe was worse then living as a slave in the United States, where you were guaranteed food in your belly and a roof over your head. You've been brainwashed to believe the be all and end all of slavery was the enslavement of blacks in the USA, but thats not true, slavery has been with us since the creation of man. There is nothing unique about the enslavment of blacks in the USA. To you I say get educated!
I am in no way justifying slavery, it is a sad part of history. But contrary to popular belief most slaves were treated pretty well. It was like owning a horse, if abused and beaten I don't think it would be very healthy and would not preform well or live very long.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
You sound extremely unintelligent, how are you going to tell me how my ancestors lived? Do you know the black kid in the picture was sold for $1100 dollars, a huge sum for that time. I guarantee you his "owner" didn't spend all that money on him to abuse him, and by the looks of him he was well fed. Feudalism in Europe was worse then living as a slave in the United States, where you were guaranteed food in your belly and a roof over your head. You've been brainwashed to believe the be all and end all of slavery was the enslavement of blacks in the USA, but thats not true, slavery has been with us since the creation of man. There is nothing unique about the enslavment of blacks in the USA. To you I say get educated!
The point you keep missing is that the world whites RAN from is the world that oppressed them. You did not pull yourselves up in the land of your oppression, which is your expectation of blacks in the land of their oppression. It takes resources to create wealth and opportunity. It takes Land, Labor and Capital. Whites fled Europe because the aritocracy controled the land, capital and hence your ancestors labor, which the exploited in a class based system. Its not until Europeans got in their ships and started exploring the world.....finding the land, labor and capital of others that created they type of abundance and new opportunity that allowed oppressed whites to immigrate away from their land of class based oppression into new lands where they would be the oppressors in a race based oppression. Moreover, the last time I checked many African Americans have Irish last names. The vast majority of blacks In America last names come from their last slave master before emancipation. Obviously if blacks had Irish last names they had Irish slave masters. So its not like the Irish was so downtrodden and oppressed that none of them could own black slaves. Sure, there are blacks with Irish last names that result for marriages, but blacks had Irish last names from 1870 to today.

Do you all really believe that donovan mcnabb is Irish....ROFLMAO

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 06-14-2010 at 07:41 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
I am in no way justifying slavery, it is a sad part of history. But contrary to popular belief most slaves were treated pretty well. It was like owning a horse, if abused and beaten I don't think it would be very healthy and would not preform well or live very long.

yeah, if you think being treated pretty well means, being taken away from your family, having your children taken from you, working in a field from dawn to dusk and longer. eating crap, living in terrible conditions being forced to breed, being raped, used as a pack animal, being whipped and beaten. yeah great life. I would say you have your head up your arse on that one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies