Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 05:59 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times

Advertisements

Completely fed up with the juvenility of partisan politics and the growing irrelevance of both the Democratic and Republican parties I'm trying to get a feel for how many regular City Data posters on this forum would describe their political views as moderate. Just trying to get to know my people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Definitely a Moderate, but these days, a Moderate of either Party, is thought by some to be a Liberal.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times
Moderate

Old 06-15-2010, 06:05 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
constitutionalist here

Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Definitely a Moderate, but these days, a Moderate of either Party, is thought by some to be a Liberal.
I agree. We need a definition of what the OP considers moderate.

Or better yet, what he sees as someone who is "not moderate." lol. Does he consider people who are moderates a cute above the radical, extreme, or patrisan?
Some moderates consider themselves inherently superior to those with more heart-felt views.
I don't mean this as a put down but the people I know who call themselves moderate either are not really interested in politics, or vote the way their spouses do. Or they really are not very informed.
Alot of moderates in my opinion fit the definition of wishy-washy!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am far left on economics and far right on gun control.

I believe in Markets that are truly free where deals such as employment are done on a free and non coercive basis. As that is highly unlikely I believe all workers should have Union representation. There is no way an individual has the same bargaining power as a big corporation or as a local grocery store.

I believe in the Separation of Church and State and believe we should extend the separation to include the greed driven worshipers of Mammon. We also need to separate Monopoly business from government.

I also believe that an individual has the right to carry a gun anywhere they want so long as the shooter is completely responsible for any damage.

I believe the finance should be regulated to assure steady growth without booms or busts and a large enough government employment to, by progressive taxes, slow any booms and keep the cash flowing during the busts.

I think the current Federal Tax system should be scrapped and replaced with a simple progressive Income Tax on all income from all sources, including capital gains and dividends, with a base deductable at the 90th percentile of income. That would let 90% of the people do what they wanted with their money and place the burden of maintaining the country on the people that own it.

I consider myself to be left of moderate.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Anything from a moderate republican and left is considered a liberal from the right. The country has gone so far right it really throws the rest of the political parties off.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,549,314 times
Quote:

Brother tell me about. There are many neo-con posters currently haunting this forum that apparently believe that anybody who disagrees with them on any one issue must by definition be a liberal commie scumbag. What's even stranger is just how far the neo-right has drifted from its traditional conservative roots.

Now to be fair there are many on the left who are also guilty of this.

Last edited by Zekester; 06-15-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-15-2010, 06:29 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Brother tell me about. There are many neo-con posters currently haunting this forum that apparently believe that anybody who disagrees with them on any one issue must by definition be a liberal commie scumbag. What's even stranger is just how far the neo-right has drifted from its traditional conservative roots.
Zekester, sounds like you have a lot of anger towards those who disagree with YOUR political views.
In my short time on these boards it seems there are an equal amount of lefties and liberals who have a lot of disdain and disrespect for those who don't see it their way.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:31 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
My political views align with the blue dog Democrats.

Slightly more fiscal liberal than the right ,but way more to the right on social issues than the liberals.

I usually am in agreement with Collin Peterson (D-MN) who definitely is a blue dog Democrat.

I also am a supporter of unions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies