Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree or disagree with the BP being forced to put $ 20 billion in escrow
Agree ( Democrat) 32 25.40%
Disagree (Democrat) 0 0%
Agree (Republican) 8 6.35%
Disagree (Republican) 16 12.70%
Agree (Independent/ Other) 55 43.65%
Disagree (Independent/ Other) 15 11.90%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 09:34 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And Republicans would've given it willingly and ask them if they'd like more.....of course taxes wouldn't be raised ....
You have any source to backup your crying bs, or are you just making up garbage to make you feel better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
What the $%&*%$! are you talking about? What does people on welfare have to do with an oil spill? The probelms were in place up before Obama took office. Business as usual? you should look at Cheney and crew for that one. As far as the generousity of money once again were you the last 8 years?
I would think that since Cheney's old company told BP that they were taking a terrible chance that maybe people could cut them some slack. Them being Cheney's old company, here. Actually Halliburton did tell them they were taking a chance.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
another stupid posting by someone who cant contribute to the thread, but can only ridicule others..
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
you have any source to backup your crying bs, or are you just making up garbage to make you feel better?

*:d

Old 06-18-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Please name the "GOVERNMENT administrative person" who YOU think will run the account.

Do you know what "third party" means....I didn't think so... That's what Obama said would happen ...a third party , not BP(thank GAWD) and not the "government"..........
And then he said that Feinberg would be the administrator of the fund. That is the name of the Pay Czar, isn't it?

Do you not understand that Obama doesn't really doesn't understand that when a governmental officer is in charge of something like that you don't have a "third party" taking part. Lots of things he doesn't seem to understand but this time I am sure he knows what is going on.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:
And Republicans would've given it willingly and ask them if they'd like more.....of course taxes wouldn't be raised ....
Taxes wouldn't be raised? Is there a reason for you saying that? I wouldn't think that taxes would need to be raised since BP is paying for the whole thing. Maybe taxes need to be raised to add to the $20 billion slush fund they are creating for Obama to reward good little boys and girls from.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:30 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
That doesn't include all the 08 donations

BP: Summary | OpenSecrets

Are you going to count governors and state senators?

"Among Federal Candidates, 2008 Cycle"

BP: Recipients | OpenSecrets

BP: All Recipients | OpenSecrets

The $396K spent in 2008 on federal candidates was the issue I was raising. If they lined some pockets to get a build permit for a gas station in Wackamo, it has little to do with the apparent bribery that allowed them to continue sidestepping safety standards on offshore rigs with MMS's blessing.

Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
You can continue to exploit a national tragedy as a means to make passive insults. I, on the other hand hold BP solely responsible.

I guess that's the difference between us though, I don't see a disaster as an opening to score political points while taking cheap shots at strangers online while you do.

Oh, is that what I did?

And BP paid good money for the privilege of taking short-cuts.

I don't fault BP nearly as much as I do the voting public.

See, generally speaking, corporations make more money if they skirt the rules, so they buy off politicians who are tasked with looking the other way while the rules are skirted. Corporations which fail to buy off politicians will be unable to compete with those that do (see GE).

Politicians are also in the sleaze business. They sell their cooperation to sleazy corporations for campaign contributions. Politicians who fail to sell out don't raise enough money to saturate the brain dead voters who lose interest in politics after the twenty seconds it takes to run a special interest/union/corporate/Soros funded attack ad.

These voters can't tell you who their Congressional Representative is, how government works or why they vote for the candidates they do without saying "he/she is for the people". They've never heard of Opensecrets.org and have no clue which organizations/billionaires have already purchased their favorite politicians. They like the tone of what they hear even if they have no clue what the truth really is. The best liars and con-artists are elected easily by these voters over decent, patriotic and well-qualified candidates.

BP isn't the villain nearly as much as Obama, and Obama isn't nearly as much to blame as the dim wits who voted for him.

Something incorrect?

Old 06-18-2010, 11:18 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Are you going to count governors and state senators?

"Among Federal Candidates, 2008 Cycle"

BP: All Recipients | OpenSecrets

The $396K spent in 2008 on federal candidates was the issue I was raising. If they lined some pockets to get a build permit for a gas station in Wackamo, it has little to do with the apparent bribery that allowed them to continue sidestepping safety standards on offshore rigs with MMS's blessing.
The page I linked to (which shows a higher amount than the $396k) is federal candidates and party. Not referring to Governors and State Senators, but to federal office holders (Senators, members of Congress) and national parties such as the DNC & RNC, as well as the Democratic and Republican House and Senate Campaign Committees.

Old 06-18-2010, 11:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Insultingly low number.
It's a good start.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And then he said that Feinberg would be the administrator of the fund. That is the name of the Pay Czar, isn't it?

Do you not understand that Obama doesn't really doesn't understand that when a governmental officer is in charge of something like that you don't have a "third party" taking part. Lots of things he doesn't seem to understand but this time I am sure he knows what is going on.
I think you may want to look up Feinberg. He is not a govermental officer.

HE is an EXPERT having handled 9/11 victims pay out and others.

I know you Repugs HATE experts and want the average Joe to handle the fund but it makes more SENSE to use someone who knows what he's doing.

NOW.....WHAT third party would YOU recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies