Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Are you arguing that individually and widely owned technology trumps the encroachment of tyranny? Whoda Thunk!

Perhaps this is a conspiracy of Obama and the greedy GPS manufactures to force these devices down our throats, have you thought of that???
LOL, yeah, Garmin probably donated loads of money to the Presidents election campaign to get Ohio to pass a law that no one knew about until now.

Seriously, tyranny could be pointed out in LOADS of other laws. My number one is the arrest and punishment of those who posses a plant that grows in the wild, and has been proven time and time again to have little to no side effects. Or how about locking up American citizens without due process.

Lots of others, speeding tickets that can easily be overturned with a common GPS navigation device isn't on the top of my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:23 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
This law has the potential to be abused for the lively hood of the States Highway patrol personnel.Right now the state is trying to come up with money so they will not have to lay off the patrolman.So far they have not came up with any ideas,there latest was to raise the gas tax but to my understanding they were phased out of that money in 2004.
Anyone traveling OHIO highways knows to watch your speed because they are out there in full force.At one time I saw 10 using the radder on a 110 mile trip.Lets say they do not have any avenues to get more revenue,would they stoop so low to start estimating speed to save their jobs?Would they sacrifice a motorist to feed their families?I think some would and the law is wide open for abuse for those seeking revenue.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:45 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,498,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The first time someone gets pulled over with a GPS signal proving that the officers estimate was wrong, this law will be overturned in court.

Perhaps....but then the opposing counsel will come back and state that the GPS signal is inaccurate due to pollution, sunspots, Goreacle Global Warming, flatulence etc.

Rather than "estimating" speeders, how about abolishing all lawyers?

I trained many law enforcement professionals in firearms operations but I will be the first to say that excessive police power is categorically not a good thing.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycrockettino View Post
Not with Obama or with Bush or any other major sweeping legislation, but with this decision in the Ohio Supreme Court allowing police officers to simply "estimate" when writing speeding tickets.

This means that a cop with a grudge could simply say "I estimated that the driver was going 100" to write someone a ticket. The lack of any proof or the need to prove makes it so the cop has unlimited power. In this country we are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty, but with police being allowed to act as their own RADAR gun, this may no longer be the case. In Arizona they passed that ridiculous law on people who "appear to be immigrants". How long until they say that we can be searched because we "look like criminals"?

This is how a country goes from freedom to fascism, it's not at the national level, but rather the local and state level.
I agree. That decsion is WAY too broad. I generally support the police in such matters but they should measure the speed of the car if they are going to fine either the driver or the owner in the case of camera speeders.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 639 times
With State budgets going down, speeding ticket and other traffic violations are going up. Not just up, I mean skyrocketing! A law enforcement officer from Ohio is shown on an interview stating they've gone up over 200% since the recession started. This guesstemating our speed issue is ludicrous and Speederz is prepared to fight. Take your side and become a Speederz member today @ Speederz - Speeding Ticket Protection Service - You Speed We Pay. Guaranteed payment of speeding tickets, court document preparation assistance and localized attorney referrals if needed. Welcome 2 a new era in driving.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:42 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Why is that when people use the word "freedom" in context such as these that I begin to wonder if the word has any meaning worthy of consideration.
Maybe they're sayin' that arbitrary freedom is not freedom.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman84 View Post
Perhaps....but then the opposing counsel will come back and state that the GPS signal is inaccurate due to pollution, sunspots, Goreacle Global Warming, flatulence etc.

Rather than "estimating" speeders, how about abolishing all lawyers?

I trained many law enforcement professionals in firearms operations but I will be the first to say that excessive police power is categorically not a good thing.

And then the defense council will show that eye witness testimony, even from police officers, is often wrong, and that GPS only has a 2% inaccuracy rate. So if someone is doing 70, the speed limit, and the officer says they are doing anything over 72 mph, then guess what, case dismissed, law overturned.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:56 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveycrockettino View Post

Only dim minds cannot see the ramifications of these kind of things. This is not about some jerk's speeding ticket (this guy was actually arguing because the cop was doing them a favor by estimating the speed at 79 instead of the RADAR reading at 81), this is about allowing the police the freedom to simply lie without any kind of recourse. It sets a precedent that is very dangerous. Give a man an inch and he'll take a foot. Giving the cops the power to simply throw out their RADAR guns and still be able to write speeding tickets and allowing them to pull someone over for simply looking like an immigrant, these are not the rights this nation was founded to abandon.

If you don't think that this violates the 4th amendment that guarantees that we cannot be subject to a seizure without due process of law. How is being judged guilty of speeding without any evidence any different than being judged guilty of assault or murder without any evidence other than eye-witnesses? It takes more than "I saw him do it" to convict someone of a crime, but how long before "I saw him do it" becomes the sole tactic in court? How long before "He seems like a child molester" or "He looks like he's on drugs" becomes the sole evidence used to convict? That's what's scary about this.

But of course, dim minds cannot connect the dots and this is exactly how these things happen. The Weimar Republic was a Democratic government that eventually elected in the most evil man of the century and he took away the very rights they had gained just over a decade earlier. People aren't all that smart and they generally don't realize the ramifications of their actions. This is why we still have an embargo with Cuba, why prostitution is illegal and why we spend billions fighting a futile war on drugs. It's because people who don't see that these things are all connected and they all have an effect on us, regardless of whether we would ever go to Cuba, buy a hooker or take some drugs.
First, what did the cops do before radar guns? What evidence did they bring into court back in the day? And how is judging someone as speeding so much different than judging someone for "wreckless operation"? And where's the evidence for wreckless operation?

Finally, you are assuming that cops will simply lie about stuff in the line of duty. Sure some will, but you can't just assume that cops will manufacture evidence in order to prosecute. If that were the case we might as well close the police stations and tell homicide investigators to find new jobs being shoe salesmen and driving ice cream trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies