Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should only net payers into the system be allowed to vote?
Yes 29 35.37%
No 49 59.76%
Other 4 4.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:24 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I personally think your should have a financial stake in this country to be able to have the privilege of voting. Some exceptions such as elderly who have been net payers into the system their whole lives. Otherwise it gives incentive for politicians to buy votes from the welfare class. I don't think the welfare class should be allowed to vote for politicians who will give stuff to them from the people it is taken from. It's a screwed up system.
What do you think tax cuts are?

I wonder what you imagine "the welfare class" to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 05:09 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
While this sounds like a good idea, I think the tax laws could be controted enough so that only the powerful few in DC would end up being "net payers". At least on paper.

I've always believed that only people who own property should be able to vote.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
I personally think your should have a financial stake in this country to be able to have the privilege of voting. Some exceptions such as elderly who have been net payers into the system their whole lives. Otherwise it gives incentive for politicians to buy votes from the welfare class. I don't think the welfare class should be allowed to vote for politicians who will give stuff to them from the people it is taken from. It's a screwed up system.

I'm open to arguments otherwise.
I think someone wants to make a ruling class in this country. (not that there isn't already).

Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
While this sounds like a good idea, I think the tax laws could be controted enough so that only the powerful few in DC would end up being "net payers". At least on paper.

I've always believed that only people who own property should be able to vote.
that means at least a quarter of people in this country wouldn't be able to vote.......

further way of the rich trying to exploit the poor

I guess all people are equal, but some are more equal than others right??

Old 06-19-2010, 07:18 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
How about only white male landowners?

That's how it was when they set up the Constitution.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
This is a flawed poll because everyone pays taxes in some form, therefore everyone with the exception of a few mountain men living off the land have a financial stake in the country.
The criteria for voting should be education. Not formal education, but a comprehensive knowledge of how government works. This could be demonstrated by a test taken in order to acquire the right to vote.(a license) Contrary to popular belief, the forefathers did not intend on everyone in the country voting. Even then they realized that not everyone possessed the interest or the knowledge to make informed decisions on laws and leadership. What we have now is nation of ignorant voters who are easily manipulated by whomever has enough money to produce the most persuasive television commercials. Since the financing for these commercials come from corporate sponsored (PACS) the politicians owe there office, their souls, and any hopes they have of re election to the corporations, and not the public. Voters need to be people who are intelligent and engaged enough to ignore the propaganda, and do their own research of the candidates and the issues. Of course this will never happen as it would return power to the people and remove it from the elite who possess it now.
Note the two bolded statements. This is exactly why voting does NOT work--because the government is--and will always be--run by the elite. They do not represent the rest of us.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:27 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I think only those that have a net worth of over $10 million, own property appraised over $2 million, and can name all seven dwarfs (or Santa's reindeer) should be allowed to vote!

I personally think that only those with an IQ of 110 or more should be allowed to vote....or post on c-d.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:34 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
I don't think the welfare class should be allowed to vote for politicians who will give stuff to them from the people it is taken from.
Quote:
Some exceptions such as elderly who have been net payers into the system their whole lives.
The elderly IS a welfare class.. Once you pay into the system, ITS GONE.. Its NOT YOURS anymore.. So getting it back by definition is welfare..

Old 06-19-2010, 07:35 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I personally think that only those with an IQ of 110 or more should be allowed to vote....or post on c-d.
It would be pretty quiet here if you banned all of those liberals.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:40 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
I voted no and that is my opinion in general elections.

Still on property issues, I do feel only property owners should vote.

On a millage it is easy to say just raise the rent, in fact it is not that easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies