Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:44 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
So then despite nearly 10 years of war in Afghanistan, 7 in Iraq, trillions of dollars spent, thousands of dead US soldiers, tens of thousands wounded, and hundreds of thousands of civilians killed, wounded and displaced, the threat of terrorism is rising in the US?

So then can we conclude that the strategy of "fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here" is total bunk?

If we assume the threat would remain identical forever, yes.

Why would we assume the threat would remain the same?

Why would we assume the threat from Islamic terrorists would only come from these nations?

To be sure, al Qaeda in Afghanistan isn't funding any pilot training programs and Iraq isn't supplying them chemical weapons, but this conflict is worldwide and will last for decades.

Our children will confront Islamic terrorists.

Hopefully they will be able to see the forrest AND the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,202,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If we assume the threat would remain identical forever, yes.

Why would we assume the threat would remain the same?

Why would we assume the threat from Islamic terrorists would only come from these nations?

To be sure, al Qaeda in Afghanistan isn't funding any pilot training programs and Iraq isn't supplying them chemical weapons, but this conflict is worldwide and will last for decades.

Our children will confront Islamic terrorists.

Hopefully they will be able to see the forrest AND the trees.
However, we did assume that fighting them THERE so we WOULDN'T have to fight them HERE was logical, and we have discovered that this line of reasoning is asinine and befitting the logic of a small child.

We assumed to the tune of thousands of soldiers lives and trillions of tax payer dollars, and that is one hell of an assumption.

What solution would pro-war folks progress, the complete and utter annihilation of the entire world Muslim population in a biblical fashion as God commanded Joshuah, "Kill every man, woman, child, beast, and burn the fields"?

Less than this there will always be doubts and a threat from Islam, to what extent are we willing to go in order to remove all threat?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,223,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If I were a liberal, I wouldn't be seen anywhere near this thread lest you be cast into the Lion's Den of Hypocrisy and the whole of your credibility gnashed by the teeth of scorn.
AeroGuy... I like that!

The whole of liberal credibility gnashed by the teeth of scorn.

Goes right up there with napalm in the morning.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,554,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
"We're fighting them there, so we don't have to fight them here. has been a quote first stated by George Bush and since repeated ad nausum to justify our perpetual presence in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Yet we are still having to fight them here and in greater frequency as you pointed out, even after 9 years of continual war. One might think we would see an improvement after nearly a decade and trillions of dollars spent, no?

I mean I can run a failed war under BS premise for far less money, promise.

So tell me WHY isn't this notion bunk. Do you have supporting empirical evidence on how nearly a decade of war has brought us greater safety?

How about this.......we need to fight them on both fronts!! They don't need to be able to relax over there and make plans. They need to be looking over they heads for bombs. We need to wreak choas on them ...over there!!

At the same time (just like in WWII) there are sleepers already among us that we have to fight.

Do you honestly think they will leave us alone if we were not over there?

Do you remember what brought us over there in the first place?? We were not over there before that happened and THEY STILL ATTACKED US!

Isolationism does not work. Geeez....one thing we learn from history is that we never learn from history.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:54 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,335,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If I were a liberal, I wouldn't be seen anywhere near this thread lest you be cast into the Lion's Den of Hypocrisy and the whole of your credibility gnashed by the teeth of scorn.
Now, THAT'S some stylistic gun-knashing!

Old 06-25-2010, 11:58 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,476,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Every where I turn yesterday the replacement of McCrystal with Petraeus was hailed as "brilliant"!
Classic strawman, who was saying this? Give me a break.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:03 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
First it was brilliant. After a good nights sleep, it was "what else could he do". No longer brilliant, but a lesser of two evils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies