Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,835 times

Advertisements

I started one of these last year and didn't fare so well. I would be interested in soliciting some response on this very general topic. Particularly you cut and posters bring some links in from the professional soothsayers and visionairies of the day. You could once see a lot of that around New Years, nobody seems to bother much anymore with predictions, probably because reality in many cases has become stranger than fiction or prediction, as the case may be. I say:
-Tiger launches a very expensive repair the image campaign early on this year that will involve some very philanthropic gestures toward children.
-Ahmadenijad is ousted from office.
-Korea continues to move toward normaliztion with the world community.
-Commercial real estate demonstrates the same level of tanking and devaluation that housing took but will be short lived and begin to recover by years end.
-Unemployment will remain above 10% through the election.
-Real estate will show signs of renewed strength in all states except Florida, Ca. Nevada, but generally stronger.
-Limbaugh will quit.
-Reid, Dodd, and Boxer out.
-Major attack on major city.
What say ye?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
2010 could be the year of inflation, the beginning of the end of the dollar. A "bank holiday" will likely be declared, probably after a major catastrophe such as an attack on US soil. I would be very liquid this year.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM

Liquid you bet. Hold onto your spending money is the wise and cautious pose regards personal economy. Thus my prediciton regards gettin hit again this year. Another strike remotely like 911 would meet Osama's declaration of bankruptsy. Not that we are not already there but it would make it way harder to cook the books.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:08 PM

"I can lift three hundred fifty pounds over my head, and still...nobody likes me" .
A Childs Garden of Grass.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:11 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Municipalities throughout the US will make some very serious cuts to their budgets, thus putting more govt employees (public safety, teachers) out of work, more cuts to public assistance, early release of inmates. Increasing pressure will therefore mount on Congress for a 2nd stimulous.

By the same token, immigrants, facing mounting hostility, will continue to leave the USA, thus taking pressure off the public assistance, jails, and hospitals.

Instability will mount in countries where these immigrants move back to as their countries have financial crisis of their own.

Gov't spending in the USA will continue to keep many cities on life support until it runs out.

Pressure will mount for a second stimulous but it will not pass b/c the Blue Dog dems will be in serious trouble in their districts.

Tea party protests will mount in frequency and intensity in the summer of 2010. They will protest amnesty plans, healthcare, etc. There may be physical altercations between opposing sides.

Toward late summer (heat = riots), there may be riots when the public assistance runs out in cities like Detroit, L.A., Chicago.

Real estate will continue to decline with the exception of areas where there are jobs (DC area, Houston) or major tourist attractions to overseas tourists who are attracted by the cheap dollar (NYC, Miami). Commercial real estate will also continue its decline.

Iran's current regime will be overthrown thanks in part to Israel (using subverse tactics via the opposition)

The conservative Repubs will take the house AND senate in November 2010. Obama will be left with little power as a result.

Al-queda will continue to be a menace to the USA. Its operations will continue to spread out to other countries as the US moves in on Afganistan. The US will make major strides against Al-queda in Afganistan, however.

The price of oil will rise with the vast increase in auto use in China but may be tempered against the continued financial crisis in the USA, Europe, etc.

Some manufacturing jobs may return due to the low dollar as well as due to China's demand for cars/car parts.

Inflation will hold steady but be prepared for the coming years. It ain't gonna be pretty.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:28 PM

You saved the best for last. I don't see how it is not a done deal to have greater inflation particularly regards devaluation of the doollar. I also think gold will continue to rise probably break $1500 an ounce this year. Thsi one is particularly baffling though. With no money there is little demand for anything that is not a staple, a necessity, so I am nto convinced there can be inflation as long as the overall economy is depressed. Once things start to get better I think it will kick in and certainly real estate will deserve a comeback within say...three years...once the junk has been dumped, devoured by the investors, and a reset on value takes place. Thsi is my opinion has accentuated and prlonger the real estate depression, the failure to let the market reset on its own. I always said there would be more money made on the back side of this than on the front side, more keep money anyways. Which brings us to a new rental society.
I agree the repubs are back but to what avail. The entire system has become so corrupt nothing short of a total dump of incumbents will have any effect. Sorta like Al Quaeda, you kill off one another pops up to take his/her place.
I agree Obama is done early, unless he moves dramatically to the centre. He has the capability but he would have to do it on his own as he has surrounded himself with neo marxists.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,985,065 times
Well I believe the democrats will loose their majority in house and senate with the upcomming elections.

Well Iran government will not change, and the government there would ban opposition parties.

Unemployment will reduce, and there would be a gradual job growth, however there would be many giving up looking for work all together.

Openly gay people will be allowed to serve in the US military.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:15 PM

I don't know 99, I don't see the brass or their lieutenants giving up their say on gays serving openly.

I think Iran will have to blink or Israel will throw the punch that makes them blink. I don't think they have the choice and will not live under nuclear threat.

I believe the repubs will gain major seats but not the majority.

I believe job growth is dead at double digits for the year and I agree we have a new permanent class of unemployed for up to three-five years.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
I don't think the Democrats will lose their power in the House and Senate. But it will diminish.

Also, I think third parties will gain more attention this year since many are becoming disillusioned by the Democratic and Republican parties. Both have done a very good job of screwing things up.

Obama and the Democrats will continue to push for policies that will add to our budget deficit, increase inflation, and decrease the value of the dollar. The economy will remain in a delicate state, with some modest improvements (no thanks to the government though). The government will probably continue to slow down recovery.

I don't think much will change in 2010 though. Economic and budget problems will continue to plague our country. Along with that, Obama will have to focus more on foreign policy. In general, he will continue to lose political capital. It won't be an easy year for him.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:50 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
These predictions with the Dems losing the Senate are down right hilarious....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies