Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:52 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
don't say I didn't warn you brain damage is not good. live like me and you will be OK. welcome to the new America

How is the new America different than the old America? Anyone who had a job, is probably significantly wealthier this year than last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:04 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
How is the new America different than the old America? Anyone who had a job, is probably significantly wealthier this year than last year.
well not me or anyone i know you must live in la la land

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
well not me or anyone i know you must live in la la land

Everyone I know (who is employed) has an incredible year so far. The stock market is up 60% from late last year.

I'd like to live in lala land. Maybe my hair would stop turning gray!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:07 PM

43 posts, read 93,855 times
Default You're my hero!!

Verona,I also have a 4 year degree as well as an MBA so what. Due to downsizing, I was laid off in June of 2008. I also had a six digit income at the time of my layoff. I'm 60 years old, have sent out 165 resumes for positions that I'm more than qualified for and have had more than 35 interviews. I have also dumbied down my resume this being the 4th time. I recently exhausted all my benefits (All 4 Tiers) or 99 weeks. Fortunately, I was in fact hired for a position after all this time and start on Monday. What is the position you ask? The position is that of a full time janitor in a nursing home and because of my experiance (my education) they're starting me at $18.00 an hour. My other offer prior to this one was that of a bagger at a local super market. So don't talk to me about sacrifice and believe me I would'nt want anyone doing what I'm doing and for those out there that have exhausted all benefits and are still unemployed, believe me I feel for you all. Hang in there and best of luck to all of you.

Last edited by imaginej5q; 06-26-2010 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: changed it around a bit

Old 06-26-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginej5q View Post
I have a 4 your degree as well as an MBA and due to downsizing was laid off in 2008. I was also had a six digit income at the time of my layoff. I'm 60 years old, have sent out 165 resumes for positions that I'm more than qualified for and have had more than 35 interviews. I have also dumbied down my resume this being the 4th time. I recently exhausted all my benefits (All 4 Tiers) or 99 weeks. Fortunately, I was in fact hired for a position after all this time and start on Monday. What is the position you ask? The position is that of a full time janitor in a nursing home and because of my experiance (my education) they're starting me at $18.00 an hour. My other offer prior to this one was that of a bagger at a local super market. So don't talk to me about sacrifice and believe me I would'nt want anyone doing what I'm doing and for those out there that have exhausted all benefits and still unemployed, believe me I feel for you all.
Congratulations on your new job. I'm sorry it's not your ideal position, but a piece of the pie is better than no pie. Keep your head up and hopefully you'll find somethiing better.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD in NJ View Post
Vote Republicans out.
Uhh, that happened. The Democrats control the two political chambers. This is on the Democrats. You can cry all you want about the GOP not regulating enough to real in lousy loans, but they tried, and Barney Frank and Chris Dodd dealt to stop the GOP from enacting legislation that would have scaled back the CRA. If it wasn't for the CRA so many bad loans wouldn't have been made.

And for your information, right now for something to be "blocked" it needs to be pretty unpopular, the Democrats have 59 votes. All they need is to flip one of the 3 RINOs.

I'm proud that the Congress is deciding to finally be fiscally sane (at least to a very small degree). The debt that we were accruing for people who don't care to find a job is ridiculous.

Right now you have a 99 week safety net, if that's not enough, nothing is. The problem is that the government is trying to make people complacent, trying to make them rely on their hand. If your government controls your food, your shelter, your safety, you are putty in their hands.

I'll admit, the Democrats have done a good job reminding people of this. This make the more idiotic amongst them automatically vote for the Democrats because "the Republicans will take my house away."

About these riots, I don't think that it will happen. It almost never does until morons start inciting them... I say it's a good idea, show the average American taxpayer the dependence the government has nurtured - to the extent that some riot when they are cut off.

You know what happens then? The majority decides to only elect politicians that support cutting off welfare (in the form of unemployment) to those who burn their government owned house down when they throw a fit because they don't want to work, but want to get paid to work.

Right now there is a huge incentive not to work, it's called a 99 week holiday - and it's paid! If this didn't exist people would actually be trying to find work, and even though it might not be easy it would reduce the long-term unemployed and thus increase the flow of capital, ease credit, and increase the GDP - eventually lower unemployment.

So if you actually believe that the GOP single handed block even more welfare to those who don't want to work, and if you actually believe that they were wrong, I'll say that we'll see in November. I personally can't wait to see Nancy Pelosi cry on TV as she hands the gavel over to John Boehner, and as we see Sharon Angle take the place of Harry Reid.

You had your 4 years of spending like a drunken sailor, now the GOP will clean up the mess. Like any drug it'll be tough for those on welfare to get off, but if you've been on unemployment for more than 99 weeks you need to be cut off. You're hurting the taxpayer, the next generation, and worst of all yourself.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually the gap between the rich and poor has been closer, since about 2004.

The US is actually about in the middle in terms of GINI coefficient. So when people say that America is the only place where the rich are much richer than the ultra poor, just know that we aren't even close to the "worst" in that regard.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:32 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
congratulations to any one who gets a job. hope it works out to something more. good luck everyone!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:34 PM

Yea... Dems aren't doing much here to help. Looks like the republicans screwed it up soo bad in the last term that even the dems can't fix it. Only time will tell.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Actually the gap between the rich and poor has been closer, since about 2004.

The US is actually about in the middle in terms of GINI coefficient. So when people say that America is the only place where the rich are much richer than the ultra poor, just know that we aren't even close to the "worst" in that regard.
Thank you for supporting my point (allbeit, indirectly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies