Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 07:00 PM

159 posts, read 144,700 times

Advertisements

I know quite a few people that are in the construction business. They bust their asses in hot and cold weather. Sure, some may own the business and others don't but the money is good.

The problem with low paying jobs is that you end up in the lousy position that you don't make enough money for housing and can't support a family, but you make too much to qualify for certain assistance programs. For those people they make a better living off of tax payer dollars which ends up screwing tax payers.

For young people living at home, going to school, etc... Those jobs are perfect. You make a few bucks to enjoy yourself.

When I was younger and going to college. I had all sorts of odd jobs and I busted my ass. Maybe the mentality has just changed. People feel entitled these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:21 PM

6,085 posts, read 6,065,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You missed the most important part of the story. . .
"During summer, when the harvest of fruits and vegetables is in full swing in California's Central Valley, temperatures hover in the triple digits. Heat exhaustion is one of the reasons farm labor consistently makes the Bureau of Labor Statistics' top ten list of the nation's most dangerous jobs.

Second, expect long days. Growers have a small window to pick fruit before it is overripe.

And don't count on a big paycheck. Farm workers are excluded from federal overtime provisions, and small farms don't even have to pay the minimum wage. Fifteen states don't require farm labor to be covered by workers compensation laws."
It's despicable that in a country like ours, we allow any employer to treat its employees like slaves. It's not the immigrants driving down the wages, it's the farm industry that is allowed to get away with paying sub-standard-of-living wages, and takes every advantage of it by hiring the only people who will suck it up under those conditions.

Americans don't mind sweating, but we sure as hell mind having to work overtime without pay, in conditions that can kill you, without workers compensation benefits if something does happen to us.
Excellent post , Big Agri will say, its just pull yourself up by your bootstraps capitalism when it comes to hiring illegals under conditions that are 3rd world-like, but have no probs taking taxpayer bailouts and subsidies to maintain their monopolistic straggle hold on agri-business.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:21 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,337,525 times
I was just out on such a farm or grove a few days ago...one for potatoes, and another for water melons...

And let me tell you...down in Georgia or Florida...the heat, the bugs, the knats that fly around your face, the dirt, the labor, the sweating...most Americans would drop out after 3-4 hours...

What those people do and endure is no joke...and they do it without so much as complaining...they are very effecient workers...

Most have no idea what those laborers go through to bring us our produce.

I know I couldn't do it...

Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,817,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"""Americans do not like to sweat or get dirty"""

So YOU KNOW ALL AMERICANS???! REALLY???

Here's a shocker...you OBVIOUSLY don't!!!!

Where do YOU live??? In a bubble?

MANY Americans sweat and get grimy every working day!

Have YOU REALLY never heard of MINERS!

You've really never heard of FARMERS!!
Ranchers??

Never heard of maintenaince workers?

Never heard of janitors?

Hospital housekeepers?

Construction workers??

NEVER??? REALLY!

Machine shop workers???

Mechanics??? You never heard of mechanics???

Just because a GOOD American refuses to be ABUSED does not mean they're lazy!!!
Sure I have heard of those jobs and the immigrants that are increasingly filling them because Americans don't want them. Now some of them like Machine Shop and Mechanics might be hot and dirty but they do usually come with a fan at least.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
But if they become legal they'll become lazy as we are, right?
Who's going to do those jobs then?
I don't know. We always find somebody to do our dirty work. In the 60s, the blacks did it. In the 70s lots of it was done by the Vietnamese boat people that came here. I am sure we will find somebody to do it when the Mexicans get their rights and become citizens.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
I was just out on such a farm or grove a few days ago...one for potatoes, and another for water melons...

And let me tell you...down in Georgia or Florida...the heat, the bugs, the knats that fly around your face, the dirt, the labor, the sweating...most Americans would drop out after 3-4 hours...
What those people do and endure is no joke...and they do it without so much as complaining...they are very effecient workers...

YOu ain't whistlin Dixie! It has been hot as hell here for 2 weeks now- 95 to 100 every day and humid. I work outside and try my best to stay out of it. Most of our cell sites have air conditioned shelters but we have some newer ones that are just outdoor cabinets and those are hell to work on in this weather. I am paid decently for my work though.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,190,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
It's not the immigrants driving down the wages, it's the farm industry that is allowed to get away with paying sub-standard-of-living wages, and takes every advantage of it by hiring the only people who will suck it up under those conditions.

Jill it's not just farms, illegals make up a significant part of the construction industry and many jobs in other industries.

Besides lets say the farm is required to pay people $20 per hour, why would this change anything with them hiring illegals? Matter of fact it would drive more jobs into the hands of illegals because the US worker is going to cost them even more. Don't blame the farmer either because he/she needs to compete with the farm down the road using illegal workers.

If you want to increase the wages and these other industries like constuction the first thiing you need to do is eliminate the illegals providing cheap labor.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:45 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,337,525 times
For the fun of it, someone should apply for a job at one of these labor farms, and see what their told...

Old 06-25-2010, 10:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post

So in other words, we need a new slave class. Just reinstitute slavery eh?

Yippee! A class of foreign born people brought in to do hard work for very little pay. And of course no job benefits like health insurance - the chump taxpayers can cough up for that.

The rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and the USA is moving to a two class society, the elites and the lowly dirt poor peons.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,842,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Sure I have heard of those jobs and the immigrants that are increasingly filling them because Americans don't want them. Now some of them like Machine Shop and Mechanics might be hot and dirty but they do usually come with a fan at least.
You are a very anti-American racist.

Who is over in Iraq sweating in miserable conditions there? Yet you claim that Americans are too lazy and prissy to do any kind of work?

Illegals are filling jobs because you elitists believe you must have nothing but the lowest paid stoop labor and servant class to wait on you hand and foot - yet you put down hard working Americans who don't require cheap servants?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies