Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 03:45 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
For those out there worrying now, if you didn't flinch when Bush signed the Patriot Act, attempting faux outrage now is just icing on the cake. The damage is done, and those who backed the original set all this in motion.
Right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 03:50 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
That's funny because I was just wondering...

where are all those people who were all fired up about it during the '08 campaign - but now submit in silent obedience since Obama extended the Patriot Act.
We are not silent, the corporate owned media fails to cover selected protests, email campaigns, and the like. You need a tea bag or two hanging from your hat to get coverage.

The Patriot Act debate is far from over:
http://www.reformthepatriotact.org/

Old 06-28-2010, 03:56 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,849,062 times
Tell me how democrats are for civil liberties.

Old 06-28-2010, 04:04 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Are you worried? Or willing to go along with the program?
I was worried s*itless during the Patriot Act passage, but since it passed and DHS was created ALL privacy has essentially been nullified. I do as much as i can to maintain my anonymity, especially to the gov't., but after working for them and seeing what they were capable of when domestic surveillance and taping phones/e-mail were "illegal", I imagine EVERYTHING is on the table now, and have no problem imagining what they're doing now, and who their contracting it out to.

Thanks to the Patriot Act passing, we have no choice but to go along. Even those who think they're "off-grid".

Old 06-28-2010, 04:10 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,096,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
That's funny because I was just wondering...

where are all those people who were all fired up about it during the '08 campaign - but now submit in silent obedience since Obama extended the Patriot Act.

Um, you mean '02 mid-term campaign right? Or did you really think it just came up in '08??? LOL. Probably.

If you're talking about then, yeah I was fired up about it. Was just as fired up when Obama extended it, but knew he would, since as the old tale goes, the rights you give up, can't and won't be given back freely by the government you gave them to. Like someone would expect Obama to all of a sudden give away a BUNCH of new rights that the ultra wingers put inside the office of the President, and that he would not use them, or want to use them? That is utter and contemptible idiocy.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Way for that publication to make up a title that has nothing to do with the content of the article!

Has anyone whining about it actually read it? Feh, I doubt it.
"That path forward will hinge on a new draft of the National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace, due to be released Friday for the first time to the public, for a three-week comment period. . .

The report builds on the Obama-commissioned Cyberspace Policy Review, which analyzed the government's information and communications infrastructure defensive capabilities. One of the report's recommendations was to "build a cybersecurity-based identity management vision and strategy that addresses privacy and civil liberties interests, leveraging privacy-enhancing technologies for the nation."

Simply issuing a Web-friendly biometric identification card to everyone in the country, of course, wouldn't necessarily make anyone or anything more secure, including online transactions. As the report also notes, to be effective, security tools and technology must be complemented by education. "There is always a necessity to do awareness and education of the end user," said Schmidt. "But you're not trying to teach the end user how to be a security expert.""
No one has even read the report yet! How about we withhold our freak-outs until we see what it actually says.
Can we freak out now Jill61 ???
If it's voluntary then they can't really secure anything.
I think I may go back to paper/checks and snail mail for my banking and purchases.

The National Strategy for Trusted Identities in Cyberspace | The White House
"Through the strategy we seek to enable a future where individuals can voluntarily choose to obtain a secure, interoperable, and privacy-enhancing credential (e.g., a smart identity card, a digital certificate on their cell phone, etc) from a variety of service providers – both public and private – to authenticate themselves online for different types of transactions (e.g., online banking, accessing electronic health records, sending email, etc.)."

Old 06-28-2010, 05:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Although I don't like it, I am not all that worried. They will find someone who abides by the law and does not cheat on his taxes.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
We are not silent, the corporate owned media fails to cover selected protests, email campaigns, and the like. You need a tea bag or two hanging from your hat to get coverage.

The Patriot Act debate is far from over:
Reform the Patriot Act
Uh-huh. Yeah, they really look all fired up.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:21 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,668,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Um, you mean '02 mid-term campaign right? Or did you really think it just came up in '08??? LOL. Probably.

If you're talking about then, yeah I was fired up about it. Was just as fired up when Obama extended it, but knew he would, since as the old tale goes, the rights you give up, can't and won't be given back freely by the government you gave them to. Like someone would expect Obama to all of a sudden give away a BUNCH of new rights that the ultra wingers put inside the office of the President, and that he would not use them, or want to use them? That is utter and contemptible idiocy.
No, I'm referring to the '08 campaign.

Now Obama voters are in a forced submissive position on all fours and, apparently, quite content to be there.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Although I don't like it, I am not all that worried. They will find someone who abides by the law and does not cheat on his taxes.
Oh yeah ? Tell that to the 4 year old who is on the "No Fly" list..a highly secure government database.

One bad keystroke and you're toast with Uncle Sam. And you can only imagine what it would take to straighten out..if you could at all.
You see..this is the "big government" I don't want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies