Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 05:27 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,631,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Um, you mean '02 mid-term campaign right? Or did you really think it just came up in '08??? LOL. Probably.

If you're talking about then, yeah I was fired up about it. Was just as fired up when Obama extended it, but knew he would, since as the old tale goes, the rights you give up, can't and won't be given back freely by the government you gave them to. Like someone would expect Obama to all of a sudden give away a BUNCH of new rights that the ultra wingers put inside the office of the President, and that he would not use them, or want to use them? That is utter and contemptible idiocy.
I was 110% against the Patriot Act..it gave the President a wide berth to do whatever he wanted "to protect us". Obama promised to repeal it and didn't and his followers said nothing..nothing.

While the WH blog by the author I posted said "voluntary" I highly doubt it.

So..we'll need this "mark of authentication" to buy and sell ? Hmmm..where have I heard that before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,255,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Oh yeah ? Tell that to the 4 year old who is on the "No Fly" list..a highly secure government database.

One bad keystroke and you're toast with Uncle Sam. And you can only imagine what it would take to straighten out..if you could at all.
You see..this is the "big government" I don't want.
I don't want it either. I am old school. I like small government and personal accountability.
That said I am not all that worried. Now if I were someone who sent money to ME countries? Oh yeah I would be crapping the pants.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I don't want it either. I am old school. I like small government and personal accountability.
That said I am not all that worried. Now if I were someone who sent money to ME countries? Oh yeah I would be crapping the pants.
Nah..I think those guys are smarter than that. Just go to the supermarket on a Sunday and get in line to wire money (Western Union) to Mexico along with the rest of them. Then have someone in Mexico do the dirty work.

Why they're probably doing that now.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,985,338 times
Quote:
I was 110% against the Patriot Act..it gave the President a wide berth to do whatever he wanted "to protect us". Obama promised to repeal it and didn't and his followers said nothing..nothing.

So..we'll need this "mark of authentication" to buy and sell ? Hmmm..where have I heard that before
Funny how Alex Jones was on the mark about this for a while now and yet people still don't pay attention to him. Sad sad

Old 06-28-2010, 05:46 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,834,841 times
Quote:
For those out there worrying now, if you didn't flinch when Bush signed the Patriot Act, attempting faux outrage now is just icing on the cake. The damage is done, and those who backed the original set all this in motion.
That's correct. Bush is watching,...

Old 06-28-2010, 05:47 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,997,531 times
Quote:
For those out there worrying now, if you didn't flinch when Bush signed the Patriot Act, attempting faux outrage now is just icing on the cake. The damage is done, and those who backed the original set all this in motion.
This is Obama wanting this apparently. Its like have a law against jaywalking and then one propoase agianst walking and saying the jaywalking law was similar and brought it about.Non-sense reasoing.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:41 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,658,219 times

Might as well start tattooing numbers on our forearms.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,108,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
No, I'm referring to the '08 campaign.

Now Obama voters are in a forced submissive position on all fours and, apparently, quite content to be there.
What Republican's fail to realize is that unlike a majority of ultra neo-con wingers; those who voted for Obama do NOT follow like mindless zombies on all issues. They can keep his feet to the fire (or as much as possible) and still back him on other issues, w/out some vanity loyalty test.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:19 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,108,965 times
Quote:

BZZZZZ. Wrong. Obama NEVER said he would repeal it. He said he would revisit it to ensure there were proper oversight rules & guidelines for the tools of the FISA court. That is a false statement to say he promised to repeal it and didn't.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
BZZZZZ. Wrong. Obama NEVER said he would repeal it. He said he would revisit it to ensure there were proper oversight rules & guidelines for the tools of the FISA court. That is a false statement to say he promised to repeal it and didn't.
You're right txgolfer130. Revisit is not repeal. One too many articles I read indicated repeal vs revise.
He promised to revisit it but he didn't and Congress extended it one year with no revisions.

There were 2 bills in committee and neither got past that stage.

PolitiFact | Revise the Patriot Act to increase oversight on government surveillance - Obama promise No. 179:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies