Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe it should be illegal to be Islamic in the United States?
Yes 21 14.29%
No 125 85.03%
I don't know 1 0.68%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times

Advertisements

A lot of people on this forum believe Islam is a violent religion and it is dangerous. So I will pose the question should Islam be illegal in the United States? I personally think no. Vote in the poll. Here is an article on the issue.

Making Islam illegal -- is it the West's only choice?

Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
As much as I loathe and despise Islam, we cannot make it illegal. We have freedom of religion here. I think Islam is a cancer in this world but I will fight for the right to be a Muslim.

All we can do it take the violent Muslims and throw them in jail or teach em' a lesson or two. Or...deport them if possible. Just deal with the rotten apples. As much as it enrages me to see Muslims behave in a savage manner, I remind myself that not all of them are like this. There ARE good Muslims in the world too.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
No. But we can make certain actions illegal and give no "out" clause to religious belief. In other words, if your religion has you breaking the law you accept the punishment.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:35 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,197,174 times
No. I've never met any Muslims who have been anything but kind and polite and more than happy to talk about their experiences in the United States... the guys who owned the gas station/convenience store near my dad's house (Your name is JORDAN? I AM FROM JORDAN!!! lol), my Arabic professor, the really cute girl from Kuwait, Khaled from my Arabic class, Kareem (I think that was his name.. he used to go door-to-door in our apartment complex and sell incense)

Freedom to practice whatever religion you choose is written into the Bill of Rights for a reason- this country was founded by people who were persecuted by the British for their beliefs.. making Islam illegal would make us no better. Whether you practice one of the big three, Buddhism, Hinduism, or happen to think that Scientology is a legitimate religion to practice (lol, but your life, not mine) that should be okay with everyone else and the government has no business in keeping you from it.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:47 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
As much as I loathe and despise Islam, we cannot make it illegal. We have freedom of religion here. I think Islam is a cancer in this world but I will fight for the right to be a Muslim.

All we can do it take the violent Muslims and throw them in jail or teach em' a lesson or two. Or...deport them if possible. Just deal with the rotten apples. As much as it enrages me to see Muslims behave in a savage manner, I remind myself that not all of them are like this. There ARE good Muslims in the world too.

I'm gonna take this in a different direction.

Yes, Islam is composed of good and bad people just like any other group, but Islam itself is grossly intolerant. The answer is to open up American Islamic society to new ideas and give them the freedom to chose another way. Today they don't have that because Islam requires ignorance and fear to rule the follower. The fair in Dearborn and the persecution of evangelical Christians who wished to introduce the Gospel to Muslims is the new ground zero in the conflict between Islam and the outside world.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:46 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
^ Muslims did die in the World Trade Center too! Apparently a lot of yahoo Americans don't know enough Muslims or are petrified of them. You can't make any religion illegal in the US so this thread is absurd.
McVeigh was a Christian too! Let's ban that violent religion! White Christian men were into slavery & hanging blacks also. Hmmm!

Old 06-30-2010, 03:53 AM

894 posts, read 1,127,257 times
I'm white (female & Christian) and one of my best friends (male) is Muslim and lives in Pakistan. I know his whole family, and they're all very nice people. Being Muslim doesn't make you a murderer or terrorist.

There are extremists in every religion, and it is the extremists that people need to be concerned over, whether they're Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or whatever.

No, Islamic religions should not be banned. However, "honor killings" in this country, should not be tolerated.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:00 AM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
^ Muslims did die in the World Trade Center too! Apparently a lot of yahoo Americans don't know enough Muslims or are petrified of them. You can't make any religion illegal in the US so this thread is absurd.
McVeigh was a Christian too! Let's ban that violent religion! White Christian men were into slavery & hanging blacks also. Hmmm!
Ok first of all I said in my post I don't think it should be made illegal. I am one of the few people on this forum who actually defends non-radical Muslims because there are so many who fail to realize the difference. The reason I started this thread was because in the thread about Montana wanting to make homosexuality illegal someone said something along the lines of "Oh what next make it illegal to be Muslim in this country?" So because I know so many people in this forum dislike Muslims so much I thought I would ask in this thread. So far common sense is reigning, but I will come back to check when I wake up later today, I'm about to go to sleep.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 AM

757 posts, read 802,949 times
Outlawing Islam would be surrendering to fear and condemning an entire religion when only a very small percentage of Muslims are radical. We as a People are better than that. (or should be)

Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,581,533 times
Muslims should thank their allah that most Americans want the laws of the Constitution followed more than they fear Islam. So I voted no. However, I think we should let Muslims know just how violent their religion is as much as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies