Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 09:01 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,046,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The New Testament is the maginfication of God through Christ. I'm plenty aware of what the point of the NT is. Without the Old Testament, we wouldn't know why the Jews were looking for a Messiah, nor would we be able to reconcile the many prophecies of the OT that refer to the coming Messiah.

Are you sure you want to debate theology? Meet me in the Religious forum if you must. Just say the word.
No, sir.

I'm sure I don't want to debate theology with you.

You should really check out the Christianity forum. You will find many like yourself who would love nothing more than to take you up on your challenge.

People like you are exactly why I left that forum.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Unfortunately there are a whole lot of people like him... which I'm pretty sure was the OP's point.
And yet you've contributed nothing to try to pursuade me to think differently. I've opened the door for debate many times over, and stilll nothing. Why is that?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:04 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Jesus order Christians to follow the Law of Moses in the Old Testament. Matthew 5:17-18 and 23:1-3. This not debateable.

If your view of Christianity is guided by that of the New Testament only, then it appears that you've abandoned exactly one-half of the story in order to form a mold that fits your view of what being a Christian should be about.
Actually you should learn up your history of Christianity.

Early church fathers tackled over the ideas of the old test. and how to reconcile them with the new one.

Are male children circumsized, ritualistically? nope are we allowed to eat pork and dairy? yup. etc

The reason they came up with, Christ was the NEW convenant. Literally out with the old, in with the new. His sacrifice wiped the slate clean. Those old, antiquated Jewish laws didn't matter any more, the end all be all was Christ and salvation there in, and so it stuck.

In Catholicism, we ONLY refer to the OT as a way of foreshadowing Christ's life. Other than that, it means almost nothing. Because it's always about Christ, not pork.

Go ahead and argue, are you more Christian than St Paul? Who advocated these changes.

Blind faith, is no faith at all.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
No, sir.

I'm sure I don't want to debate theology with you.

You should really check out the Christianity forum. You will find many like yourself who would love nothing more than to take you up on your challenge.

People like you are exactly why I left that forum.

Don't forget, that's why you left the GOP too, as you've insisted on reminding us (as if that has anything to do with anything.)

Old 07-01-2010, 09:05 PM

Default What's WRONG with this Picture???

Quote:
The New Testament is the maginfication of God through Christ. I'm plenty aware of what the point of the NT is. Without the Old Testament, we wouldn't know why the Jews were looking for a Messiah, nor would we be able to reconcile the many prophecies of the OT that refer to the coming Messiah.

Are you sure you want to debate theology?

Meet me in the Religious forum if you must. Just say the word.
Sounds like "meet me outside in the alley and I'll whip your butt..."

You really have a problem, dude.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-01-2010 at 09:14 PM..

Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Actually you should learn up your history of Christianity.

Early church fathers tackled over the ideas of the old test. and how to reconcile them with the new one.

Are male children circumsized, ritualistically? nope are we allowed to eat pork and dairy? yup. etc

The reason they came up with, Christ was the NEW convenant. Literally out with the old, in with the new. His sacrifice wiped the slate clean. Those old, antiquated Jewish laws didn't matter any more, the end all be all was Christ and salvation there in, and so it stuck.

In Catholicism, we ONLY refer to the OT as a way of foreshadowing Christ's life. Other than that, it means almost nothing. Because it's always about Christ, not pork.

Go ahead and argue, are you more Christian than St Paul? Who advocated these changes.

Blind faith, is no faith at all.
Yes, and that foreshadowing is because the OT is full of prophecies that lent to the coming Messiah. You call it out with the old, in with the new, but there is no NT witout the OT. I certainly hope you know this.

For example: The Old Testament describes the sacrificial system God gave the Israelites to temporarily cover their sins. The New Testament clarifies that this system alluded to the sacrifice of Jesus through which salvation is found.

You can attempt to eradicate the OT from your view of Christianity, but that view is woefully inadequate, and I think you know this. You simply push half-assed points just to debate. Which is fine. At least your pushing a point a view for me to debate at all.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Sounds like meet me outside in the alley and I'll whip your butt...

You really have a problem, dude.
Serious question: Why are you so averse to differing points of view? The post above makes me think that you're a very skittish person. If so, no problem. I'm just curious why you visit a forum of debate and then hide as if you're about to be lynched when someone challenges your point of view?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:15 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,785,344 times
Quote:
Yes, and that foreshadowing is because the OT is full of prophecies that lent to the coming Messiah. You call it out with the old, in with the new, but there is no NT witout the OT. I certainly hope you know this.
Take it up with St. Paul and the early Christians, not me.

But thanks, for telling me what I could have logically concluded on my own. I do believe I stated the Catholic reason for use of the OT, did I not? Yeah, thought so.

I honestly don't even know anymore. Like, it really pisses me off, you think some of us are lesser than you because what we believe for in society, isn't nessecarily accepted by Christianity.

I think you need to rethink your views of Christianity, not over politics, but over how you view your fellow humans.

I'm done now, I gotta date with the Devil.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmkcin View Post
Take it up with St. Paul and the early Christians, not me.

But thanks, for telling me what I could have logically concluded on my own. I do believe I stated the Catholic reason for use of the OT, did I not? Yeah, thought so.

I honestly don't even know anymore. Like, it really pisses me off, you think some of us are lesser than you because what we believe for in society, isn't nessecarily accepted by Christianity.

I think you need to rethink your views of Christianity, not over politics, but over how you view your fellow humans.

I'm done now, I gotta date with the Devil.
What piisses me off is that some people claim to be Christians and then, when challenged on how those views square with Christianity, they offer nothing. As I said earlier, homosexuality is one of those issues. Abortion is another. The Bible does not condone either of those activities, but yet Liberals put the full thrust of their support behind both issues. I simply want to know how Chrisian liberals reconcile this with the Bible. To date, no person has answered the question.

As a liberal Christian, do you believe what the Bible says or not? As a Christian liberal, do you condone abortion and homosexuality? Or do you insist on inserting your own brand of Christianity so that abortion and homosexuality fit within your view of what being a Christian really is about in today's society?

Old 07-01-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Wise as serpents and harmless as doves...

Quote:
Serious question: Why are you so averse to differing points of view? The post above makes me think that you're a very skittish person. If so, no problem. I'm just curious why you visit a forum of debate and then hide as if you're about to be lynched when someone challenges your point of view?
This thread was about Teabaggers.

You first tried to make it about homosexuality and then wanted to argue that you can't be a liberal and a Christian.
Now, you want to make it into a debate about New Testament theology.

Why can't you take no for an answer when someone says they don't want to debate with you?

Why is everything so personal with you?

Contrary to your belief, God's purpose is not accomplished by the anger of man.

Last edited by World Citizen; 07-01-2010 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies