Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:07 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,189,680 times

Advertisements

It seems like every time the discussion of "successful" blacks is discussed, it never fails, someone white always mentions black athletes or entertainers. As if the the ONLY successful blacks that exist are athletes are entertainers.

What's funny is there are more white athletes and entertainers than blacks.

There are many more successful black business owners and executives that have net worth's into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

I really think that a lot of whites think that the only successful blacks on the planet are involved with entertainment/TV or athletics.

It's really sad to hear non whites say something like that in public, it clearly shows how much they really know about blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:17 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
About 40 years ago it seemed that the only rich blacks were athletes or entertainers. Even the black elected officeholders were from majority African American districts. But I am afraid that too many do aspire to be athletes or entertainers. A lot of white kids too.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:24 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Funny....because most white kids, I would think, at one point want to be a pro athlete, or rich and famous...why not black kids, too?

Old 07-08-2010, 11:28 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
For the per centage of populatio nits fairly high tho;which is what brings the stereotype ;I think. Its what people see that forms them really. Actaully it really does not matter anymore than other stereotpyes really.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I did not know that.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:12 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
It seems like every time the discussion of "successful" blacks is discussed, it never fails, someone white always mentions black athletes or entertainers. As if the the ONLY successful blacks that exist are athletes are entertainers.

There are many more successful black business owners and executives that have net worth's into the hundreds of millions of dollars.

I really think that a lot of whites think that the only successful blacks on the planet are involved with entertainment/TV or athletics.

It's really sad to hear non whites say something like that in public, it clearly shows how much they really know about blacks.
Of course there are more white athletes and entertainers, we out number blacks 7 to 1!

The problem as I see it and I live in Atlanta so I am at ground zero for all things black is that black youth only seem to strive to be either an athlete or a rapper. Now obviously not all black youth do but many of them have this mindset. That is where the misconception comes from.

On a side note I would like to commend you for not using AA to describe blacks. That part of your post was refreshing.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Of course there are more white athletes and entertainers, we out number blacks 7 to 1!

The problem as I see it and I live in Atlanta so I am at ground zero for all things black is that black youth only seem to strive to be either an athlete or a rapper. Now obviously not all black youth do but many of them have this mindset. That is where the misconception comes from.

On a side note I would like to commend you for not using AA to describe blacks. That part of your post was refreshing.
I don't use the phrase AA.....I like "blacks". Jesse cam up with the idea of using AA.

Well, do you think blacks think all white kids want to have a rock band? Of course not. That's just foolish to think that.

Also if whites believe that about black youth, it clearly shows they DO NOT interact with black youth. IF they did they would know better.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:22 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,097,111 times
Quote:

I think there is something troubling, but I think you're not hitting the nail directly on the head.

A few thoughts:

1) Most Americans can't name famous people that AREN'T entertainers or athletes of ANY race. I just asked my 12-year old niece to name famous people off the top of her head last night and she named 5 Disney Network stars, 3 Presidents, and 1 NBA player. You have to understand that parents of today are probably mostly ill-equipped to handle parenthood, our schools are under-funded and filled with a bunch of non-interested, ill-behaved video game-aholics that have little interest in learning.

I don't think that's a race thing.

2) There are so many identity issues within the black community today and I think a lot of it has to do with themselves. Until a far greater majority of black parents fuel their children's desire and interest to becoming a: journalist, lawyer, nurse, doctor, etc, and give them the proper tools to become those things, I think your annoyance in your OP is inevitable.

Black, White, alike, the parents are FAILING at ever increasing numbers, and while I'm not singling out black parents alone obviously, only you alone can change the way society perceives you (and it IS all about perception). Successful families of ANY race need to a) stay together, b) have less children, c) give those children the best educations at home and in-school, d) make sure your child isn't hanging out with losers. I think it's easy to see there are many families within both black and white community that are failing at the above. That's how you break the cycle.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:

What's even more sad is people who get butt hurt over nothing and try to turn that nothing into someting.

When you're at the airport if the porter says: Excuse me sir is that your bag?

Your reply would likely be:

Why? A black man can't have a SUITCASE!!!???

Old 07-08-2010, 01:38 PM

Great POV........

thanks for the perspective.

I do somewhat disagree slightly. At least as it relates to it's not a race thing.

It clearly is because that's the only thing they see about that race. Nothing more. That shows you how they view that race.

I'm not talking about 12y/o neither. I am talking about adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I think there is something troubling, but I think you're not hitting the nail directly on the head.

A few thoughts:

1) Most Americans can't name famous people that AREN'T entertainers or athletes of ANY race. I just asked my 12-year old niece to name famous people off the top of her head last night and she named 5 Disney Network stars, 3 Presidents, and 1 NBA player. You have to understand that parents of today are probably mostly ill-equipped to handle parenthood, our schools are under-funded and filled with a bunch of non-interested, ill-behaved video game-aholics that have little interest in learning.

I don't think that's a race thing.

2) There are so many identity issues within the black community today and I think a lot of it has to do with themselves. Until a far greater majority of black parents fuel their children's desire and interest to becoming a: journalist, lawyer, nurse, doctor, etc, and give them the proper tools to become those things, I think your annoyance in your OP is inevitable.

Black, White, alike, the parents are FAILING at ever increasing numbers, and while I'm not singling out black parents alone obviously, only you alone can change the way society perceives you (and it IS all about perception). Successful families of ANY race need to a) stay together, b) have less children, c) give those children the best educations at home and in-school, d) make sure your child isn't hanging out with losers. I think it's easy to see there are many families within both black and white community that are failing at the above. That's how you break the cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies