Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 08:50 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,669,503 times

Advertisements

Fourth-generation Chinese-American filmmaker Debbie Lum was inspired by personal experience to discover the psychology behind yellow fever
In the documentary, she follows the lives of Steven, a white 60-year-old Asiaphile, and Sandy, 30, his Chinese mail-order bride

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 09:36 AM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Fourth-generation Chinese-American filmmaker Debbie Lum was inspired by personal experience to discover the psychology behind yellow fever
In the documentary, she follows the lives of Steven, a white 60-year-old Asiaphile, and Sandy, 30, his Chinese mail-order bride
Well, at least she picked an honest depiction by focusing on guys ordering mail-order brides 30 years younger than them.

Around here I've met 2 Russian brides that married much older men, came here and popped out babies to anchor them. Pretty much it's an agreement between the 2 parties to exchange sex and companionship for entry to the US, escape from semi-poverty to an easier life.

I would LOVE to see if Debbie covered Sandy's life and upbringing in China that led to her becoming an asian bride.....

Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
So when I'm 60 I can get a woman 30 years younger?

Wait, I'm not attracted to Asians.. dammit.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
That was a great documentary. And a very honest depiction of those types of "arrangements".

I loved the part where the filmmaker asked the old White man what the Asian woman got out of the "arrangement" and he had absolutely no answer. And I especially loved the part where the Asian woman (two days after the wedding) said that she would need to work hard and save money to get eventually get away from the old White man and that she couldn't go back to China due to the embarrassment and public humiliation that she would face.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
They had to go through the trouble to make a documentary about a phenomena with such an easy explaination?

Petite Asian women can be ridiculously hot. White men love a petite, exotic-looking woman.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I am a 60+ white male and I do not "want" a 30 year old Asian, or any other, bride.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, at least she picked an honest depiction by focusing on guys ordering mail-order brides 30 years younger than them.

Around here I've met 2 Russian brides that married much older men, came here and popped out babies to anchor them. Pretty much it's an agreement between the 2 parties to exchange sex and companionship for entry to the US, escape from semi-poverty to an easier life.

I would LOVE to see if Debbie covered Sandy's life and upbringing in China that led to her becoming an asian bride.....

She did cover a bit of the woman's background. She grew up in a rural area and was raised on a farm. Then she moved to the city and worked her way up from a factory girl to an office job. Sandy seemed to be smart and ambitious. Honestly, I don't blame her for marrying the old White guy to be able to get to America. It would afford her more educational and career opportunities. It became obvious that those were her 'true' priorities.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Did this "documentary" mention that most caucasians who marry asian women, marry women near their own age?

Or did it just focus on titillation instead? The comparatively rare case where a man marries a woman half his age or less, and tried to pretend it was "frequent"?

Hint: It happens about as often as white men marry white women half their ages, too.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Did this "documentary" mention that most caucasians who marry asian women, marry women near their own age?

Or did it just focus on titillation instead? The comparatively rare case where a man marries a woman half his age or less, and tried to pretend it was "frequent"?

Hint: It happens about as often as white men marry white women half their ages, too.
Their age difference wasn't the focus of the documentary. The focus was on the motivations and expectations of the individuals.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,520,964 times
I saw this posted on stormfront. they were going at each others throats over this. I think there are just as many white men who genuinely like Asian women as there are white men with "yellow fever", who just have a fetish for Asian women. Being in a military community I have met many happy, normal wm/aw couples. The whole mail order bride thing is weird whether the women come from Asian or eastern Europe. you're already starting your relationship with an uneven scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies