Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 10:43 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times

Advertisements

White House Chief of Staff makes recurring use of the phrase "other equities" to describe the claims of moochers against businesses.
====
The Wall Street Journal: "The president has said that he is interested and open to the business community's perspectives on examining regulations, but a lot of important equities need to be weighed against each other, such as the health and safety of the American people—and no one interest outweighs another," said White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel.
====

Health and safety gives society an interest and a voice in business regulation. But "equity" means ownership.

I guess producers can keep the deeds and stock certificates and titles to personal property they've earned, but Rahm Emanuel has made it clear: you really do not own what you have been working for all your life. The moochers and looters have equity right alongside yours, even though their names are not on the deeds.

Where is the business investment? Where are the jobs? Where is the vibrant recovery that typically follows severe downturns? WHO IS JOHN GALT?

Most importantly, how fast can Election Day get here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 10:54 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
[quote=marcopolo;14991159]White House Chief of Staff makes recurring use of the phrase "other equities" to describe the claims of moochers against businesses.
====
The Wall Street Journal: "The president has said that he is interested and open to the business community's perspectives on examining regulations, but a lot of important equities need to be weighed against each other, such as the health and safety of the American people—and no one interest outweighs another," said White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel.
====

Health and safety gives society an interest and a voice in business regulation. But "equity" means ownership.

I guess producers can keep the deeds and stock certificates and titles to personal property they've earned, but Rahm Emanuel has made it clear: you really do not own what you have been working for all your life. The moochers and looters have equity right alongside yours, even though their names are not on the deeds.

Where is the business investment? Where are the jobs? Where is the vibrant recovery that typically follows severe downturns? WHO IS JOHN GALT?

Most importantly, how fast can Election Day get here?[/quote]

Who are you gonna vote for and what are they gonna do differently?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post

I get your point, but here's the deal. We have a choice between two tribes of self-serving idiots, who leach our wealth away to benefit their friends.

If we balance power between the two tribes, they will be too busy fighting each other to steal as much. We've tried one tribe, then we tried the other tribe, and history shows the country does best when power is split between the tribes.

And the tribe in there now is more hostile to prosperity. So I'm voting for the Republicans.

Honest to Gosh, if we had any brains we'd always work to put at least one house of congress in control of the party that does not control the presidency.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
White House Chief of Staff makes recurring use of the phrase "other equities" to describe the claims of moochers against businesses.
====
====

The most important thing is not how fast can election day get here but will it get here.

I have to agree with Ted Savage that the October Surprise could easily be a good old fashioned bombing of Iran with bunker busters and B-2s. That would have to make an election something that couldn't be held so soon after that war was started. I am just suggesting that this is very possible when the rulers know that they are about to lose their butts.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:01 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
I get your point, but here's the deal. We have a choice between two tribes of self-serving idiots, who leach our wealth away to benefit their friends.

If we balance power between the two tribes, they will be too busy fighting each other to steal as much. We've tried one tribe, then we tried the other tribe, and history shows the country does best when power is split between the tribes.

And the tribe in there now is more hostile to prosperity. So I'm voting for the Republicans.

Honest to Gosh, if we had any brains we'd always work to put at least one house of congress in control of the party that does not control the presidency.

No, they'll be busy working together behind the sceens to screw us.

And trust me the DNC and likely the RNC have invaded this forum.

Two words....Tea Party!

Mass protest by an informed public is our only hope.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:04 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,159,646 times
Quote:
====
====

You misunderstood. On purpose?

Obama May Review Business Regulations - WSJ.com

Old 07-11-2010, 02:07 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
[quote=mohawkx;14991275]
Quote:
====
====

Most importantly, how fast can Election Day get here?[/quote]

I think that both parties no longer serve the needs of the people, but are more interested in serving themselves and a bloated government.

However, no administration in the history of the US has been so opposed to buisness and personal property rights as the Obama administration. The choice is clear- anybody but Obama.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:20 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,533,221 times
If they weren't seriously considering this--it would not be in the news.

The White House is contemplating a broad review of government regulations that business leaders have identified as obstacles to job-creating private investment.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Delusianne, I misunderstand your question.

What I do understand is that the White House has launched a PR offensive to counter the widespread idea that the administration is hostile to business. I believe the WSJ story accurately reports on a token effort that will not result in anything except ammunition for the PR offensive. Having savaged the possibilities for business planning and investment in the future, and getting properly tagged for it, the Great Communicator is attempting to fix the problem with more talking.

I know from reading your work in other threads that you believe businesses have money because they were "permitted" to make it in the first place by the government. My own notion is that we can make money by being of value to the rest of society, providing needed goods and services that people vote for with their wallets. So with these different views of the world, I am hopeful but not optimistic that you and I will be able to do anything more than talk past each other. I'm game for the attempt, though--thank you for reading and posting.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
If they weren't seriously considering this--it would not be in the news.

The White House is contemplating a broad review of government regulations that business leaders have identified as obstacles to job-creating private investment.
In this case contemplating gets a new definition. Of course, they want to do what is implied there and if we aren't pretty lucky they will get it done. THEY will have one month after going back to work and then a bit over another month before Christmas. We must take that one House away from them but they can do an awful lot of damage in the Lame Duck session, and they plan to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies