Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:19 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,602 times

Advertisements

I’m not asking this in an attempt to start a thread of animosity and hatred, but I’d rather like to really understand the mindset of some whites here at CD. For the threads that I’ve entered regarding slavery, there seems to be an inevitable outcry by some to “get over it and stop playing the victim” whenever someone posts anything related to slavery. So my question for non-Black CD’ers:

When will it be okay for blacks on this board to post threads regarding slavery, the finding of slave artifacts, the troubled beginnings of blacks in America, etc WITHOUT

-posts telling us to “get over it”
-posts telling us to “stop playing the victim”
-posts reminding us that Africans had slaves and in fact sold slaves to Europeans who brought them to America
-posts telling us that they shouldn’t be made to pay for the crime of their ancestors and are “sick of being blamed”
-posts telling us about other races, nationalities, etc who had it bad

Can intelligent whites on this board not recognize the desire to discuss slavery WITHOUT any ulterior motives? Can a discussion about slavery simply be a discussion about slavery and have absolutely nothing to do with 1) blaming contemporary white people 2) wallowing in self-pity 3) using it as a crutch for current black problems, etc.

To restate my thread title: When can blacks discuss slavery without being accused of victimhood or living in the past?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:21 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
If this is such a time of peril in your history, why do you want to even talk about it? What exactly is there to talk about?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM

372 posts, read 220,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
I’m not asking this in an attempt to start a thread of animosity and hatred, but I’d rather like to really understand the mindset of some whites here at CD. For the threads that I’ve entered regarding slavery, there seems to be an inevitable outcry by some to “get over it and stop playing the victim” whenever someone posts anything related to slavery. So my question for non-Black CD’ers:

When will it be okay for blacks on this board to post threads regarding slavery, the finding of slave artifacts, the troubled beginnings of blacks in America, etc WITHOUT

-posts reminding us that Africans had slaves and in fact sold slaves to Europeans who brought them to America
-posts telling us that they shouldn’t be made to pay for the crime of their ancestors and are “sick of being blamed”

Can intelligent whites on this board not recognize the desire to discuss slavery WITHOUT any ulterior motives? Can a discussion about slavery simply be a discussion about slavery and have absolutely nothing to do with 1) blaming contemporary white people 2) wallowing in self-pity 3) using it as a crutch for current black problems, etc.

To restate my thread title: When can blacks discuss slavery without being accused of victimhood or living in the past?
100 years ago!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:22 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
My answer would be anytime you want. Maybe if you set up a poll instead?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:31 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
A discussion "simply about slavery?"

Like an academic exercise?

Sure..... but.... the question is.... for what PURPOSE would you discuss slavery in the "Politics and Controversies" section, unless it is to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot
1) blaming contemporary white people 2) wallowing in self-pity 3) using it as a [Edit: excuse/justification/explanation] for current black problems, etc.

Those are pretty much the three instances in which black people start any discussion of slavery with whites. Why else would it be brought up at all in a non-academic context? Truth be told, the majority of white people don't talk about slavery amongst themselves because of the aforementioned a) remoteness in time and b) lack of universal participation in same.

If it's just a friendly discussion on "slavery," that needs to be taken to the "History" section, no?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
lokig at teh Ops posat the reasonig is clear.Its polirtics purely.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:40 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,569 times
Since there are numerous instances in history of mankind where slavery existed, why do you conduct the discussion in the terms of other races who were enslaved, rather than only using the context of slavery, as it existed in the US?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:48 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,373,731 times
When black people stop yelling RACIST when whites start to discuss the inherent unfairness of Affirmative Action?

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,312 times
Quote:

You're fighting a losing battle, Choc. I think the problem is, such talk doesn't stay on slavery. And I think that's everyone's fault. Blacks too often start getting accusatory and whites start getting defensive. Sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes whites start loading up with the defensive stuff before there's any accusations. I guess that's what you're talking about.

I think the thing is, who really wants to actually talk about slavery in a historical sense? You know, the human conditions, the Underground Railroad, etc. Some people will discuss such things, yeah, but not many. Usually it's a segueway to something else. Remember the photo that ran through this forum several weeks ago which featured two slave kids? Perfect example. That was obviously not placed in the forum to discuss either early photography or popular slave clothing of the day. So some white folks got defensive right from the get-go.

I think one could make the case that there's no reason for 21st Century white folks to get defensive about slavery. But then that would probably look insensitive to some people. I don't find American slavery particularly fascinating personally, but I'm always willing to learn historic stuff if it's interesting. However I'm not about to be put on a guilt trip, and I'm certainly not going to tell someone to "just get over it". So any discussion has got to be free of negative emotions or I'm out. More often than not, I'm out.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:49 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,246,823 times
Quote:

Choclot, I've noticed this on other forums also. It isn't always Blacks, as I'm Native American and the very mention of anything historical will rouse some to begin with the 'get over it'; 'stop playing victim' and 'race card'.

I've given this much thought and long before you posed the question. I believe it's a way those people to justify the adverse actions perpetrated in history. Also, if one can claim someone is 'playing victim' or using the 'race card' or 'get over it' it's a way for them to attach a negative connotation, (whiner) thus in their own twisted heads, to be above the individual who is discussing the historical event.

I wouldn't waste too much energy on this as these people are usually too small and narrow minded to try and see the world from someone else's perspective.

You and I know we are the offspring of survivors; people who survived just about everything thrown at them, so how could we be victims? The family that came before us had the physical and mental strength to survive hellous conditions. That's the bloodline that has become you and I as individuals. That makes our DNA some strong ju-ju. That's just what I know about myself, so when one of them calls me 'victim', I find it to be sort of comical. And sad for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies