Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Think again. Coke owns Dasani, and Pepsi owns Aquafina.

What about plastic coke bottles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 01:20 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
property.

What will these insane liberals ban next?

Bottled Water Ban Proposed in San Francisco - San Francisco News - The Snitch
Don't plastic bottles require petroleum for manufacture? Aren't there better ways to make use of our resources?

Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Thought I heard some place in California banned soda machines because of kids getting fat?
Some schools did. It was controversial at the time although once it was done people just stopped complaining and moved on to the next thing. Any time there is a "takaway" it riles people up but it works just the opposite too. For example, someone suggesting now that we set up soda machines at the schoos "for the kids" would rightfully be met with strong resistance. It's funny how that works.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Has anyone ever considered that if overpopulation wasn't so extreme, that a simple thing like being able to drink water in a bottle wouldn't be an environmental catastrophe? There are so many humans that burning our energy sources is changing the very atmosphere, and the only living things most people see in a day out are other people--literally thousands everywhere you look--and maybe a few of their pet dogs.

When I was a kid, much more of the Country was natural area. Now it's so scarce that anywhere in the country you go, land costs a fortune. The reason pollution is a problem is that there are far too many of us. Consequently, the only solution is lowering each person's quality of life and freedoms. Quantity of life over quality of life.

The Ponzi-scheme economy was always touted as the only path to prosperity. More people meant more jobs, opportunities, things for people to do, ways to make money. But today the government parasites and national business leaders (touting Harvard Business School ideas) have both contributed to our making our current economy one that sheds jobs despite constant increases in population. Less jobs means less money for the population to spend, and any business that isn't so high-profit that it can withstand the massive losses to government taxation will eventually close. Government responds by a million give-away programs to buy votes, but always increases the tax burden. The vicious cycle continues. Government loves population growth because it directly equals growth in their power and money.

We've proven by experience that an economy based on population growth is a failure, since government always grows faster and chokes the economy in a tighter and tighter grip. It's unsustainable even if it worked. And it created the traffic-choked environment we have today, with pollution rampant, endless wars over energy and resources, racial and ethnic groups squished together and fighting like dogs, natural land so scarce you have to pay the government a $10/day fee to visit it (forget being able to buy and live on it).

As I speak, the bulldozer is tearing up the hill adjacent to my 1-acre home, for another new house. Another couple from Mass. moving to NH. The deer, bobcat, fox, wild birds, etc. won't be bedding up on that hill anymore. My privacy is gone (4th time this happened in a total of 4 houses; coincidence?). They have to dynamite the hill because it's granite ridge (that will do wonders for my house, and the beauty of the natural hill).

It seems no matter how bad the economy gets, as long as the population continues to grow (immigration plus natural increase), the destruction of our environment continues. For those of you wondering, I bought an existing house next to land I considered too costly to develop.

Ponzi-scam economies based on population growth don't work, and destroy our environment in the process. Let's start promoting the benefits of having only 1 kid, and equalizing immigration to out-migration. Time to massively reduce the government parasite that is now more than 1/3 the size of the economic host. And maybe Harvard can turn its attention to creating an economy that is sustainable and not based on the very few getting ultra-rich by scamming the rest with fake "bubbles" and nationwide economic scams. That would be a world worth bringing a child into.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:35 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Why should the gov tell me I cant drink water from a bottle? Arent we free? If we cant decide how we want to drink water whats next?
You can drink all the water you want from any receptacle you care. You can't, however, sell bottled water at events held on SF city property. That could have a number of reasons, I'll just mention 2:
  • People are pigs who drop their disposable water bottles all over the place and the city doesn't care much for covering the clean-up, or
  • It's all part of the SF city government scheme to arrange a communist-leninist-plutocratic takeover and force us all to get gay abortions.
Unknot your damn undies, people.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:39 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
Sure, they'll knock on someone's door, and when the person doesn't answer they'll call the police. Probably blame it on George W. Bush and racism too.

They've got it all figured out. Nothing unusual at all going on in San Francisco, where the women are women, and so are most of the men.
You just couldn't contain yourself. You turned a thread about cutting pollution into an insult about gay people. Really nice. Shows what kind of person you are.

And you think the environment is fine? Something very unusual going on there in your head.

I find it very odd that conservatives and Christians are so opposed to environmental issues. They scream about loss of freedoms but then support the freedom to do the most harm to each other. It's OK for them to tell people who they can sleep with or to carelessly insult them (see above) but don't you dare take away their right to throw plastic at Flipper!!

Old 07-13-2010, 01:58 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You can drink all the water you want from any receptacle you care. You can't, however, sell bottled water at events held on SF city property. That could have a number of reasons, I'll just mention 2:
  • People are pigs who drop their disposable water bottles all over the place and the city doesn't care much for covering the clean-up, or
  • It's all part of the SF city government scheme to arrange a communist-leninist-plutocratic takeover and force us all to get gay abortions.
Unknot your damn undies, people.
I should be able to drink bottled water on the property that the citizens pay for and fund and own.

Care about your freedom

Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
You just couldn't contain yourself. You turned a thread about cutting pollution into an insult about gay people. Really nice. Shows what kind of person you are.

And you think the environment is fine? Something very unusual going on there in your head.

I find it very odd that conservatives and Christians are so opposed to environmental issues. They scream about loss of freedoms but then support the freedom to do the most harm to each other. It's OK for them to tell people who they can sleep with or to carelessly insult them (see above) but don't you dare take away their right to throw plastic at Flipper!!
Tell you what. We'll agree to passing a law that we must recycle and you approve of we pass a law that you must attend church every single Sun

Just because you are passionate about something doesnt mean the rest has to be. Do you blame Christians for forcing their views on you? But here you sit forcing yours on others.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There is much less landfill waste with bottled/can drinking beverages in states that have a deposit/refund policy. I recall collecting bottles as a kid for extra $$. Heck I still hold on to every aluminium can so I can take it to the scrap yard for $0.55/lb .

Why not spend $7-$10 at Wal-Mart for a Coleman water jug and a re-useable water bottle? Or, is that to much advanced planning for someone who lives in sunny FL?
Didnt know I lived in a communist country that I had to? Thought I should be allowed to buy something that I must have in order to live.

Also maybe I just dont want to walk around or have to take a coleman water jug every time I step outside. If you want that hassle so be. I'll take stopping at 7-11 and buy some bottled water.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Didnt know I lived in a communist country that I had to? Thought I should be allowed to buy something that I must have in order to live.

Also maybe I just dont want to walk around or have to take a coleman water jug every time I step outside. If you want that hassle so be. I'll take stopping at 7-11 and buy some bottled water.
Good thing you wern't born before bottled water became popular. Obviously you wouldn't have survived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies