Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 12:14 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,903 times

Advertisements

I think it's time to wake up the masses. I just posted in the apathy thread, and now realize that this is the answer.

I have no children, but that's not why I'm in favor of the draft. I think it's necessary to wake up Americans. Only when Americans feel threatened and everyone's kids are on the line, randomly, will they take action.

I'm appalled at the youth today. They are all so darned busy with their MySpace and their IPods to even be in touch with reality. At least I was on the tail of the Boomers, so I have some grip on reality.

What has happened here? I just don't get it. Did their Boomer parents spoil them to the extent they have no care for the greater good and their future? Notice how it was a late 40 something who was the icon for the anti-war movement? Come to think of it, in my world, I only seem to see 40 somethings (or maybe some really enlightened 30 somethings) doing anything to speak out against the status quo.

I just don't know what's happened. I have several neices and nephews in their 20s who all voted for Bush. Don't they realize the crushing national debt is on their plates to pay? It boggles my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 12:23 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Default Wow.

I'm sorry, my kids are all in the military. I'm a boomer. They're doing what they need to do. My son is stationed in Al-Habbineya. 15 miles from Falujah.

You think what? The kids of us baby boomers is not doing enough?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I'm sorry, my kids are all in the military. I'm a boomer. They're doing what they need to do. My son is stationed in Al-Habbineya. 15 miles from Falujah.

You think what? The kids of us baby boomers is not doing enough?
No? Well, what do you say we start the draft with my family. My brother voted for Bush and has three healthy sons of age. My sister has a healthy boy age 18 who is a STAUNCH Bush supporter. Both of my 20 something neices voted for Bush. How about we start the draft with them?

Old 06-16-2007, 01:01 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
If we really needed a draft we would have one by now. Most of the younger generation that's draft age doesn't support this war. You don't see the protests because the war doesn't really effect them. Neither political party in Washington is going to back a draft. You may hear a few rumblings by people like Charlie Rangles, but it's not going to happen. Rangles wants a draft because he knows democrats will vote against it. While many republican will support it. Giving democrats even a bigger edge in the coming elections. Besides, neither party wants to mobilize the youth of today in the middle of the information age. With MTV, VH1, G4 and all the other information medium out there, if they even try to bring back the draft we will see the youth of today mobilize and register to vote in millions.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
If we really needed a draft we would have one by now.
No. That would call attention to what we're really doing over there. It's just much easier to continue to stop loss people than draft people. It's much less visible. Do you remember the coffins coming home from Vietnam that TV used to show on the news? It's forbidden now. Wouldn't want anyone to see dead people

Quote:
Most of the younger generation that's draft age doesn't support this war. You don't see the protests because the war doesn't really effect them.
How old are you? This war SHOULD affect them, hence I call for the draft.

Quote:
Neither political party in Washington is going to back a draft. You may hear a few rumblings by people like Charlie Rangles, but it's not going to happen. Rangles wants a draft because he knows democrats will vote against it. While many republican will support it. Giving democrats even a bigger edge in the coming elections. Besides, neither party wants to mobilize the youth of today in the middle of the information age. With MTV, VH1, G4 and all the other information medium out there, if they even try to bring back the draft we will see the youth of today mobilize and register to vote in millions.
Wait until the war with Iran or another 911. There'll be another draft either way. You're young, if I am not mistaken.

BTW, if it would take a draft to drag the "youth" away from Idol and MySpace to pay attention to what is going on in the world, BRING IT ON!

Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
I don't understand how any young people can possibly feel right about going to war in Iraq for Bush. Because all I hear about is precious young American guys dying from gunfire and bombs. I never hear of any victories on the battlefields or raids on bomb factories or really much of anything going on to bring peace to Iraq. Seldom is there anything heroic going on.

Of course, maybe by far the biggest reason young people are enlisting in the military is not over Iraq, but because the pay and benefits are a heck of a lot better than working at Wal-Mart or McDonald's.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:55 AM

Wrong, I'm not young. I'm almost fifty and I'm a veteran. The war doesn't really concern our young draft age citizens because most of them are not going to put on a uniform, and they are not going to be required to put one on. No draft will pass congress. Bush himself has said repeatedly that he will not support a draft. He has said repeatedly, no draft is necessary.

The war isn't going expand into Iran. The American public, by a huge margin, wants us out of this war. One way or another, we will be pulling out. Our next president in all likelihood will be the candidate that promises to pull us out.

There certainly will be issues that need to be worked out in the middle east. Especially the Iranian nuclear weapons situation. But hopefully our next president will be someone who knows how to use diplomacy to solve issues.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:43 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Turkey already has troops in northern Iraq ready to keep the Kurds in line when Iraq falls. Talk about another potential East Timor, Darfur, or Kosovo. It won't be pretty.

As soon as we leave Iraq, Iran moves in and captures the south and its oil fields. The puts Iranian forces right on the doorstep of the most oil rich part of Saudi and all of little Kuwait (with 1/3 of its population Shia) within an hour's drive. Saudi does not relish this prospect since Iran is actively working to destabilize the Saudi government so the minority Shia population (which happens to live in the oil rich northeastern provinces) can join greater Iran.

Here's a map of the Saudi oil fields:

http://www.oilempire.us/graphics/saudioilfields.jpg (broken link)

and here's a map of the Shia population zones (it's huge but very informative).

Note how the Shia tend to live in the richest oil regions.

Iran wants those Shia to join with them and, right now, Iranian protection is looking mighty appealing to the Shia in Iraq who feel that neither the US nor the UK can protect them. The Saudi Shia would like it too since they do not care for their Sunni rulers.

Leaving Iraq will not produce stability but instead do the exact opposite and if you think oil prices are high now, just wait. With a Persian Gulf effectively owned by Iran, the world's aorta of oil will be in the hands of Iran.

In removing Saddam, good old Dubya has removed the keystone that kept the arch of the Persian Gulf in one piece by providing a check against Iranian territorial ambitions. What was to have become a rabidly pro-American Iraq living happily and prosperously in an American sponsored (and controlled) "democracy," is now in the throes of a civil war that we cannot moderate.

This is why Iran presents such a danger. In their alliance with Syria, Iran would be able to launch a nuke at Israel from Syria with their current missile technology. It's a no-brainer. We have to go along with Iran's expansion plans if they get a nuke because they'll be effectively able to hold Israel hostage. On the other hand, if we do go along with Iran's plans we put most of the world's oil production in the hands of Iran. The breaking of Saudi in such a manner would mean the collapse of the Saudi government followed soon after by Kuwait unless Kuwait decided to become a client state of Iran to save its own skin (don't bet on it). Tiny Bahrain would likely fall as well (sorry Michael Jackson). That leaves the US surrounded in Qatar. Not a good scene.

Bascially, middle east stability now comes down to replacing the regime in Iran. There is no choice if we are to avoid Iranian control of the Persian Gulf. Whether by espionage or force, it has to happen. Invasion will require a war time economy and a draft. There is no way around it.

When history is written, George W. Bush's part in it will not be flattering.

Last edited by Jason_Els; 06-16-2007 at 02:52 AM..

Old 06-16-2007, 03:08 AM

Iraq has a lot of very rich oil fields up near Turkey. I think Turkey just wants the oil. I say we just need to get off foreign oil and let them have their civil war.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:56 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I think it's time to wake up the masses. I just posted in the apathy thread, and now realize that this is the answer.

I have no children, but that's not why I'm in favor of the draft. I think it's necessary to wake up Americans. Only when Americans feel threatened and everyone's kids are on the line, randomly, will they take action.

I'm appalled at the youth today. They are all so darned busy with their MySpace and their IPods to even be in touch with reality. At least I was on the tail of the Boomers, so I have some grip on reality.

What has happened here? I just don't get it. Did their Boomer parents spoil them to the extent they have no care for the greater good and their future? Notice how it was a late 40 something who was the icon for the anti-war movement? Come to think of it, in my world, I only seem to see 40 somethings (or maybe some really enlightened 30 somethings) doing anything to speak out against the status quo.

I just don't know what's happened. I have several neices and nephews in their 20s who all voted for Bush. Don't they realize the crushing national debt is on their plates to pay? It boggles my mind.
We should not have the draft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies