Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:29 PM

239 posts, read 895,491 times

Advertisements

I googled the term background investigation and a number of websites came up that said they could give me all kinds of information on nearly every person in America (with a social security number). So I inserted my name and city in the boxes and pushed enter. Within a short period of time all kinds of information came on the screen about me. My name, my age, by date of birth, all the places I have lived for the last twenty years, a number of my relatives and their information too. Incredible. Why is this type of information on the Internet for total strangers to see?

If I paid a fee I could learn even more about myself including my driving record, my credit, criminal records, marriage and divorce records, my unlisted phone number, information on the house I own, and even a large amount of my social security number. At no time did the site care who I was or ask me why I needed the information. They say this public records but why is it public, I see it as private!

Why is this legal and is there anything I can do to get the information off of these sites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,655,663 times
Since some are public records, you can't.

Welcome to the new age of information technology.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 PM

45,452 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Court and deed records online. Fill out a survey for a website, it's out there eventually. Newspaper articles mentioning your name are out there. Etc.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:43 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,853,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post
I googled the term background investigation and a number of websites came up that said they could give me all kinds of information on nearly every person in America (with a social security number). So I inserted my name and city in the boxes and pushed enter. Within a short period of time all kinds of information came on the screen about me. My name, my age, by date of birth, all the places I have lived for the last twenty years, a number of my relatives and their information too. Incredible. Why is this type of information on the Internet for total strangers to see?

If I paid a fee I could learn even more about myself including my driving record, my credit, criminal records, marriage and divorce records, my unlisted phone number, information on the house I own, and even a large amount of my social security number. At no time did the site care who I was or ask me why I needed the information. They say this public records but why is it public, I see it as private!

Why is this legal and is there anything I can do to get the information off of these sites?
Because more doesnt care about their liberties.

They didnt value their privacy and now its gone. Anyone under the impression they have privacy is absolutely kidding themselves

Old 10-06-2010, 03:44 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outcast View Post

All of the sites you see that allow individual searches outside of government ones can be requested to have you removed.

As for public records from government ones, there is a process you can go through to have them removed from public availability as well. You need to look into it it though.

If you are already on the "grid" so to speak, it is difficult to get off completely. You can though limit your current and future information from being accessible, but it takes a lot of attention and diligence.

Outside of falsifying documents and hacking systems to eliminate records, you will always be a shadow in the system regardless of your attentions.

Remember, information is viral, simply giving an organization your phone number and name can create an association for you to be tracked.

Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,903 times
Its legal. How ever the places that you probably found on the web are not always reliable. One still has me listed as husband to my X wife or 14 years.
What they do is nothing that anyone else can't do. They just gather up what they can like court records and other public records. Probably allot comes from your tax return, FBI file, Drivers license, ect ect.
I wouldn't be alarmed unless you find one that shows your Social Security number. any how there is nothing you can do until they break the law and they usually stay just on that side of the line.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,465,881 times
There are companies that will clean up your online image.

The leader in online reputation management : ReputationDefender

Same company does something with privacy.

http://www.reputationdefender.com/myprivacy

No idea if it works or not, never needed to use one.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,960,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
There are companies that will clean up your online image.

The leader in online reputation management : ReputationDefender

Same company does something with privacy.

Remove your personal information, name, phone number from the web : My Privacy : ReputationDefender

No idea if it works or not, never needed to use one.
Those organizations just go through the motions as I suggested earlier. I wouldn't say they are bad, as they certainly will clean off your echo on the internet pretty well (providing you are detailed in your information to them), but they can not completely wipe you off.

Still, not a bad thing if someone is willing to spend the cash for it. Though it is all a waste if you do not change your habits in terms of the information you release.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:14 PM
kyt

73 posts, read 124,736 times
Nope. It'll be more or less permanent.

The Internet never forgets. Never forgives.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
The barn door cannot be closed.
Sorry but you'll have to live with it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies