Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,242,747 times

Advertisements

Boston weighs smoke-free public housing - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1270512&format=comments#Comments Area - broken link)

Pros:

If people are poor and live in government housing, why are they spending money on smokes?

cons:

so much for the sanctity of the home, right?

won't the consequences fall heavily on racial minorities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,532,547 times
Why are they living in gov't housing but have money for cigarettes? Same reason I suppose they have money for lottery tickets, and alcohol and cell phones, and iphones and ipods, and fast food and shall I go on????

Old 07-27-2010, 04:39 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,500 times
So when exactly will it be enough?

Shall we start making rules and laws to ban certain things only for certain groups of people and doesn't this scare anyone?
Who would make these rules? Politicians, Judges, The vote of the people?

I opt out.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:48 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Boston weighs smoke-free public housing - BostonHerald.com (http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1270512&format=comments#Comments Area - broken link)

Pros:

If people are poor and live in government housing, why are they spending money on smokes?

cons:

I had a feeling all racial minorities were smokers. Thanks for the confirmation. Why indeed? I dare say some of those people are fat. They could remove their fat and make candles from them, and sell fat candles on the street.

I'd buy a vanilla scented one.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:50 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Yes! For two reasons. The smoke travels to apartments of those that do NOT smoke causing a health hazard for those people AND if you can afford over $7.00 a pack get the hell outta public housing.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I had a feeling all racial minorities were smokers. Thanks for the confirmation. Why indeed? I dare say some of those people are fat. They could remove their fat and make candles from them, and sell fat candles on the street.

I'd buy a vanilla scented one.
huh?

Obviously there are smokers in public housing, as they wouldn't be suggesting this, right?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Yes! For two reasons. The smoke travels to apartments of those that do NOT smoke causing a health hazard for those people AND if you can afford over $7.00 a pack get the hell outta public housing.
But they can still buy packs of cigarettes even if they cannot smoke it at home.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:55 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:

Pros:

cons:

More to think about--
-what's the track record for incidents of fire caused by cigarettes?
-How much property damage happens to the unit as result of smokes? (higher deposit required)
-How well is cigarette smoke contained in the unit or are they sharing central system that blows it around and mucks up vents & filters? (higher operating cost and depreciation of bldg)
-How many kids & elderly have risky breathing conditions (COPD asthma etc) that could exacerbate their situation if smoke doesn't mind it's boundaries, and will that oblige mgmt to be the smoke police? Liability should be on the smoker, not mgmt.
-This is a publicly controlled bldg designed for long term housing solution or short term? If short term using higher deposits as a tool will only keep them there longer and it's likely best just to ban the same way hotels do.

The sanctity of home changes definition a little when you don't have the deed, and a little more when tax payers do. Not a lawyer but these are common approaches.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,442,950 times
Quote:
But they can still buy packs of cigarettes even if they cannot smoke it at home.

As I said there are TWO issues. First the health one and second the fact that if they can afford cigs get out of public housing.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
So does certain cleaning products and cooking smells, etc.

What scares me the most about people who want to control everything is the fact there are so very many of them.
Where the heck does it stop?
Shall we stop those who are overweight from eating foods that are bad for them?
Shall we create laws and give fines, imprisonment? Shall we cut off their hands?

Remember then, the more laws created the bigger government gets.
Stop the insanity of control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies