Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 08:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
For cripes sake, Sharia has clearly become the latest buzzword for the "don't understand what it is but will repeat it incessantly anyway" set.

Come on. Most common right-wing slobs would never have heard the word if their favorite right-wing talk show host, take your pick, hadn't been promoting it the way Joe McCarthy promoted the notion of communist plots. (Except that McCarthy was at least occasionally, if accidentally, correct.)

Denouncing "Sharia" is about as silly as denouncing "Western common law"--I mean, can you critics be a little more specific? It covers everything from contracts to matrimony to compensation for damages (torts) to evidentiary standards. Except that there are probably more gray areas and differences in opinion within the Islamic jurisprudence than there are in our "common law."
Since I don't know what Sharia is maybe you could explain it to me. Surely from the way you talk you do know all about it. In fact, I am sure that you really don't know but try to explain it to me anyway.

For some reason it seems to me that what you said about Sharia is about what the author of that book said.

Can you tell me about the experience of the British Parliament with the Muslims who want to be allowed to take care of familial matters with Sharia. One of the things the people who talk about it that you don't want to believe is that they start out with something that small and then weasel in to the rest.

How do women manage to stay true to the system under Sharia? You can tell me that, I hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 11:38 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Since I don't know what Sharia is maybe you could explain it to me. Surely from the way you talk you do know all about it. In fact, I am sure that you really don't know but try to explain it to me anyway.
I surely don't know "all" about it; very few people can say they do; that would be like saying I know "all" about the United States Code. (Even Supreme Court justices can't pretend to know everything about it, or they wouldn't need clerks.) But I know enough about it to know that it's being used by those on the right as a sort of scarecrow to manipulate people who know zero about it.

Quote:
Can you tell me about the experience of the British Parliament with the Muslims who want to be allowed to take care of familial matters with Sharia. One of the things the people who talk about it that you don't want to believe is that they start out with something that small and then weasel in to the rest.
Any special interest can use that tactic. I would be sorely against any such development if it happened here; we must stay true to the secular nature of our republic, whether it is threatened by fools of a Christian, Islamic, or any other persuasion.

Quote:
How do women manage to stay true to the system under Sharia? You can tell me that, I hope.
That's rather vague--true to the system? Women are not permitted to be imams. They have unfavorable rights as to inheritance and divorce, compared to Western rules. Other than that, I'm not sure what you're driving at.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:59 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Great post Rob but you know the obamabaggers have been conditioned into blindness and ignorance.
The tea party are fans of obama now??

Old 10-16-2019, 01:36 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Or more accurately, "scared into thinking" since this 5rd grade outline is only appropriate for the uneducated, the willfully stupid, the intellectually lazy, the historically retarded and ding-bat wing nuts who push this mental pabulum on their chronically paranoid and xenophobic followers.
There you go projecting again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies