Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:43 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,735,587 times

Advertisements

I need some help in thinking about socio-political, scientific, and technological developments over the past few decades. If you could somehow go back to the 1970s with the knowledge you have now, what would you do? Keep in mind that the changes you make would probably have unpredictable consequences (per chaos/complexity theories) – even very small, unintentional differences in your life could end up causing major changes in the world, so you don't really have the option of not changing anything at all. The only question is your conscious role in the inevitably unfolding changes.

A few examples: You would realize the potentials for personal computers, the internet, cell phones, and hundreds of other major kinds of technology a couple of decades before other people, so you could supposedly put yourself in a position to invent these things, or at least invest in them in some way. What, if anything, would you do with this kind of knowledge? Similarly, you would have insight into potential developments in the realms of art, music, entertainment. Suppose, for example, that certain songs that were huge hits in the 70s, 80s, or 90s were never written (due to the unpredictable effects of your influence upon the world). Would you try to create them yourself?

Another example: There is evidence that a variety of chronic diseases (lupus, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's, etc.) are actually rooted in problems related to diet, and that the standard medical/pharmaceutical industries contribute to the problem rather than fixing it. (I happen to know this because my wife is "living proof" of this phenomenon.) Anyway, my point is that if something like this is true, and you knew about it, you could help millions of people avoid decades of chronic pain and suffering…or could you?

I've given a couple of examples, but I'm really interested in getting perspectives on this that I have not yet thought of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 AM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,553 times
I would've tried to prevent rap music from happening.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:37 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,229,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
I need some help in thinking about socio-political, scientific, and technological developments over the past few decades. If you could somehow go back to the 1970s with the knowledge you have now, what would you do? Keep in mind that the changes you make would probably have unpredictable consequences (per chaos/complexity theories) – even very small, unintentional differences in your life could end up causing major changes in the world, so you don't really have the option of not changing anything at all. The only question is your conscious role in the inevitably unfolding changes.

A few examples: You would realize the potentials for personal computers, the internet, cell phones, and hundreds of other major kinds of technology a couple of decades before other people, so you could supposedly put yourself in a position to invent these things, or at least invest in them in some way. What, if anything, would you do with this kind of knowledge? Similarly, you would have insight into potential developments in the realms of art, music, entertainment. Suppose, for example, that certain songs that were huge hits in the 70s, 80s, or 90s were never written (due to the unpredictable effects of your influence upon the world). Would you try to create them yourself?

Another example: There is evidence that a variety of chronic diseases (lupus, fibromyalgia, Hashimoto's, etc.) are actually rooted in problems related to diet, and that the standard medical/pharmaceutical industries contribute to the problem rather than fixing it. (I happen to know this because my wife is "living proof" of this phenomenon.) Anyway, my point is that if something like this is true, and you knew about it, you could help millions of people avoid decades of chronic pain and suffering…or could you?

I've given a couple of examples, but I'm really interested in getting perspectives on this that I have not yet thought of.
Outlawed leasure suits

Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,125,811 times
I'd go further in school, eliminate my past recreational drug use and invest in Microsoft.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I would've tried to prevent rap music from happening.
I wouldn't try that, but it would be interesting to experiment with de-railing the tendency toward lyrics that glamorize violence and racial hatred. (I see expressions of anger as ok - being pissed-off at the system, etc. has always been a good source of artistic expression, but making violence "cool" seems like a form of social poison. Of course this isn't exclusive to rap music.) Not sure how you could actually do this, however, even with the advantage of knowing "the future", so to speak.

I wonder if the development of violence/hatred-based themes in entertainment (e.g. video games, etc.) is a sort of "chaotic attractor"? If so, then given the technological developments of the media, the internet, etc., themes promoting the joys of excessive violence fueled by racial/cultural/sexual hatred might be almost impossible to avoid on a mass scale (especially if we want to continue to promote free speech, democracy, etc.)

Old 03-07-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'd go further in school, eliminate my past recreational drug use and invest in Microsoft.
I've never regretted my occasional drug use. In fact, as it turns out, I would be more likely to regret not doing them.

Socially, I'd be more likely to try to avoid the whole "war on drugs" mindset. Personally, I don't believe in the "gateway" theories. I think that a more social-libertarian view on the "softer" drugs like pot and the 60s psychedelics might have actually helped to minimize the explosion of the more wildly addictive stuff like crack and meth that we have today. But that's a whole nuther discussion.

Personally, drugs for me were merely experimental. I never got addicted or dependent, and they never ruined my life at all. Again, that was just my experience; not a general social endorsement of rampant drug-use.

Microsoft: Yup. I'd probably try to become buddies with folks like Bill Gate and Steve Jobs before they hit the big-time.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:59 AM

109 posts, read 194,785 times
I would go back and try to destroy the cell phone and computer business. As I am tryping I find it unbelievable how our dependance on technology has become. People hardly talk anymore and would rather text. All you see anymore anywhere you go is people staring at thier little screens getting lost in them. My buddy calls those poeple " monkeys staring at their golden banana" All there using is their thumbs and staring a a screen that lights up....
I HATE the fact people do not communicate anymore for anything.
Try getting a job by walking in and asking for a application. They look at you like you have the plague and just say " you can apply online"..... What have we become????
I'm really hoping for a massive solar flare to wipe all the computers out and give us a shot of reality!!!!

Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
I don;t remember enough of the 70's to form a lucid opinion.

sorry.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
I'd have thought twice about those green and red plaid, hip-hugging wide-leg pants I used to wear to school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I don;t remember enough of the 70's to form a lucid opinion.

sorry.
If you can remember it, you weren't there!

Or was that the 60s?

Old 03-07-2012, 11:21 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibusurfer View Post
I would go back and try to destroy the cell phone and computer business. As I am tryping I find it unbelievable how our dependance on technology has become. People hardly talk anymore and would rather text. All you see anymore anywhere you go is people staring at thier little screens getting lost in them. My buddy calls those poeple " monkeys staring at their golden banana" All there using is their thumbs and staring a a screen that lights up....
I HATE the fact people do not communicate anymore for anything.
Try getting a job by walking in and asking for a application. They look at you like you have the plague and just say " you can apply online"..... What have we become????
I'm really hoping for a massive solar flare to wipe all the computers out and give us a shot of reality!!!!

Technology has it's advantages. I love the internet, and the fact that I have information at my fingertips 24/7, but you're right about people not communicating anymore. Perhaps that is part of the problem in this world. People just don't talk to each other anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies