Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM

20,378 posts, read 19,990,375 times

Advertisements

I still have my original Aqualung and Thick As a Brick albums

".....'To those who tell me I should 'boycott' Israel (or, for that matter, Turkey or Lebanon)," Anderson wrote, "I can only point out that on my travels around the world I am continually reminded of atrocities carried out historically by many nations who are now our friends, and it serves to strengthen my resolve that some degree of peace and better understanding may result from my and other artists' professional and humble efforts in such places.

If I had the opportunity to perform today in Iran or North Korea, hell - I'd be there if I thought it would make a tiny positive net contribution to better relations,' he added......"

Jethro Tull: Won't be pressured into canceling planned Israel show - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 09:26 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,599,940 times
Aqualung my friend don't you start away uneasy...before you leave have a bagel with a schmear...

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,503,460 times
Jethro Tull (and Elton John) have at least a provisionally valid point; if you can only perform in countries whose government's policies you agree with totally, you'd be unlikely to be able to entertain anywhere on earth except Antarctica.

On the other hand, the 'Sun City' boycott of apartheid South Africa was widely lauded among the artistic community. I'm not terribly sure why anyone who supported that would consider that Israel, an equally illegitimate colonial state, should be insulated from such treatment.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,235,459 times
What about when the Beatles played in Red Square? Music is suppose to transcend and cross all national, cultural and racial boundaries. Sharing music is a way to find and forge common bonds. And why punish the common people for what their leaders do? Kudos to Jethro Tull and Sir Elton John!!!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,657,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What about when the Beatles played in Red Square?
They didn't. They were not allowed into the USSR and their music was banned there.

McCartney played Moscow in the '80s, though.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:38 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,285,071 times
This is obviously a Palestinian plot to weaken the Israeli's minds with terrible music!

Old 07-27-2010, 09:11 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,503,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What about when the Beatles played in Red Square? Music is suppose to transcend and cross all national, cultural and racial boundaries. Sharing music is a way to find and forge common bonds. And why punish the common people for what their leaders do? Kudos to Jethro Tull and Sir Elton John!!!
Where is the line drawn, is the question. Would it have been appropriate for Glenn Miller to play in Vichy France or Manchukuo? (let's assume we were not in the war yet). How revolting does a government have to become before they become anathema to decent performers? Again, why was the Sun City boycott considered a great moral victory but the Israel boycott held to a different rule?

I don't blame an artist who comes to a different conclusion. They have to live with their own decisions. I am just wondering about the justification for what seems like a double-standard.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,955,551 times
Why are artists and sportspeople supposed to operate these "boycotts" while it seems to be okay for governments and corporations to continue to do business with the countries concerned?

Old 07-27-2010, 09:58 AM

38,189 posts, read 22,271,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

".....'To those who tell me I should 'boycott' Israel (or, for that matter, Turkey or Lebanon)," Anderson wrote, "I can only point out that on my travels around the world I am continually reminded of atrocities carried out historically by many nations who are now our friends, and it serves to strengthen my resolve that some degree of peace and better understanding may result from my and other artists' professional and humble efforts in such places.

If I had the opportunity to perform today in Iran or North Korea, hell - I'd be there if I thought it would make a tiny positive net contribution to better relations,' he added......"

Jethro Tull: Won't be pressured into canceling planned Israel show - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News
They rock. Ian Anderson just earned even more respect from me.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,773,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post

My kind of rock star. Now if that moron McCartney would only learn from this. He just manages to stoke the embers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies