Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
You ring ? History of past 60 years proves us right ! You can argue with the facts but it won't change them .

Women were healthier, happier before the 60s . Not to speak of their kids actually had what is known as a father around !

I loved being a girl ,hehe, and treated so special . It was kinda silly though when the boys would fight over who was to open the door for me at the show .
I totally reject the idea that women were happier and healthier before the 60s. If that were true there never would have been a Womans Movement to begin with.

As for Pretty Woman, it's just updated versions of the old Cinderella plot and is centuries old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 03:55 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
I didn't know any of these women, must have been the ones living amoung the fems and lesbians .

Women are more abused today than any time in our history . Childbirth was very unusual death ,but heart attacks now are number one cause for women. Too much stress, smoking and sitting .
So much wrong with this statement that it should be against the law!

Old 07-26-2010, 03:57 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
women can and do have the right to the pursuit of happiness just like a man does. it is only the judgmental in society that seems to have a problem with it.
Presuming I'm victorian oppression because I happen to see more in a relationship between men and women far beyond mere friction or preying upon one another for gratification is the problem. The problem in culture and media is that people have lost sight of that deeper relationship. Marriage is reduced to a contract of superficial gratification in hetero community. Gays will have their chance to screw up as equally as heteros, but look what went by the wayside in the meantime?

Moderate perspective I see clearly what conservatives are trying to protect but they've armed themselves with all the wrong reasons. I see clearly what libertarians try to protect but they remain silent. I see clearly what liberals try to protect but they've neglected to find the right compromise because conservatives have been deliberately misled (armed with the wrong reasons).

Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,707 times
Quote:
pappy all your "facts" are merely opinion. you may have been happier in the 60's than what you imagine others are now, however many women would argue the point with you. lol, most women still like being treated like a lady and you can bet a cosmo drinking woman of today is treated like a lady or she shows the man the door. she can take care of herself. unlike some women in the 60's that continued to take sh*t because they had no where else to go.

They had what we call a family then to go to . But most chose to stay with their marriage . Women today don't do any better with the 3 or 4 marriages than they did then with one .

It wasn't perfect by long shot but women still have a boss he's just not her husband .

I'll ake Pappy for a boss anyday over some of the men and women I've had to deal with over the years at work . Don't know which was worse the cats or the dogs 'not all of course ' .

Old 07-26-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I totally reject the idea that women were happier and healthier before the 60s. If that were true there never would have been a Womans Movement to begin with.

As for Pretty Woman, it's just updated versions of the old Cinderella plot and is centuries old.
That pretty much sums up my own great grandmothers perspective. All of my grandparents have been very proud of my accomplishments & my commitment to upholding core values taught me. All of which would not be possible if not for them.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:03 PM

530 posts, read 780,015 times
I don't know about the rest of you ladies but after I watched pretty woman I ran right out and found myself a corner.....lol j/k.

JMHO but the ladies "emulating" sex and the city (if they are) the closeness of female friendship with "cosmo nights" and feeling self confidence with clothes that make them feel attractive is not a bad thing. The number of partners a person has male or female is none of my business.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:04 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Sex and the City or Pretty Woman?

Both basically saying you can be a prostitute and yet Prince Charming will sweep you off your feet, creating very unrealistic expectations in those who believe in that stuff, given I see women much more likely to emulate what they see in the media.
Never stop posting. Your brain works in ways I didn't even know were possible.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Are you serious? Are you serious?

Even if this stat is true, it probably has to do with the fact that women are more likely to express their opinions in this day and age.

Being treated as a second class citizen and having no choices is another way to be abused, btw.

Who was treated like a second class citizen ? Women had it made but then the liars came out telling them they were missing something and they could have it all . Put us all to damn work ! Took many away from their kids .

I don't agree with treating kids like plants 'they don't call them nurseries for nothing' kids should be raised by mothers not propagated in some strange building with other day orphans .

I have an opinion just like yall , you don't have to agree .

Old 07-26-2010, 04:07 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Presuming I'm victorian oppression because I happen to see more in a relationship between men and women far beyond mere friction or preying upon one another for gratification is the problem. The problem in culture and media is that people have lost sight of that deeper relationship. Marriage is reduced to a contract of superficial gratification in hetero community. Gays will have their chance to screw up as equally as heteros, but look what went by the wayside in the meantime?

Moderate perspective I see clearly what conservatives are trying to protect but they've armed themselves with all the wrong reasons. I see clearly what libertarians try to protect but they remain silent. I see clearly what liberals try to protect but they've neglected to find the right compromise because conservatives have been deliberately misled (armed with the wrong reasons).
my comment on victorian values was posted before yours so I don't know why you would think I was talking about you.
this generation, the ones past and the ones that come after us will and still experience people preying on them for gratification. there will always be a segment of society that does not seek or is unable to attain a deeper relationship. I see more of a problem with the people who would condemn these people because their lives are not lived like they would. who are we to speculate a young woman sitting at a bar having a cosmo is not into finding a deep meaningful relationship?

Old 07-26-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
my comment on victorian values was posted before yours so I don't know why you would think I was talking about you.
this generation, the ones past and the ones that come after us will and still experience people preying on them for gratification. there will always be a segment of society that does not seek or is unable to attain a deeper relationship. I see more of a problem with the people who would condemn these people because their lives are not lived like they would. who are we to speculate a young woman sitting at a bar having a cosmo is not into finding a deep meaningful relationship?
You haven't seen me chasing after people trying to live out sex in the city, but I've said this in other posts; if they're emulating anything that feeds into self destructive behavior it's something contributing to cultural sickness. We could change the players infinitely--- black boys in the hood self destructing, hippies strung out on heroine self destructing, a congregation of kool aid drinkers self destructing. The common thread is following a path, or having a belief set, orientated in self destructive patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies