Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:51 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,898,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You would be among those writing Jessica Lynch hate mail.
False accusations will not win an argument .

if she was that kid who got hit in irag than she was a good kid and had priciples and honor,imo. The liar libs tried to get her to lie play GI Jane, but she was true to her conrads and told the truth . I hope she is well and doing good .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I've lived in the 60s, 50s, and 40s so pulling the 'age card' on me doesn't work. Maybe your life was wonderful back before the Women's Movement but there were plenty of abused and unhappy women living fake and unfulfilled lives back then.
You mean like today ? Many have lived the life of misery after socially castrating their sons .

Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,647,588 times
I think people are attributing way too much power to the media in general. Media and media products tend to follow culture, not create it. "Gangsta rap," for example, didn't emerge until the mid-1980's, a time when American cities had some of the highest murder rates in the history of the developed world. Media followed culture.

Similarly, a show like SATC wasn't even on the air until 1998. I never watched it, but from what I recall, it mainly referenced trends that already existed among single women with money in places like Manhattan. It didn't somehow create that class of women.

The "women's movement" also had little role at all in "pushing" women into the workforce. That was done by pure economics. The postwar economy was simply different than the prewar economy. More and more economic productivity was coming from jobs that didn't involve rough manual labor, and it made economic sense for families to combine incomes in order to afford better housing, cars, and consumer goods.

To a large extent, women's rights activists were responding to tensions that arose out of this transition.

But if you want to blame someone (or something) for creating the transition in the first place, you'd probably have to go all the way back to the refining technology pioneered in the 1800's that allowed crude oil to be converted into portable barrels of energy in the form of gasoline, fuel oil, and so on.

That helped lead to everything from nationwide electrification to the rise of the automobile. It was a foundational technological labor-changer.

So unless the women's movement was doing petrochemical engineering back in the 1860's and 70's as part of a vast, long-term conspiracy...

Old 07-26-2010, 05:13 PM

5,412 posts, read 4,245,917 times
Quote:
I've lived in the 60s, 50s, and 40s so pulling the 'age card' on me doesn't work. Maybe your life was wonderful back before the Women's Movement but there were plenty of abused and unhappy women living fake and unfulfilled lives back then.
I've seen tons of studies saying that women were happier back then. I think the reason why women are upset today, was that many were fed lies that they can "have it all" and you really can't, at least not all at the same time.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,798,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
do you have a plan on how to stop people from doing "the wrong" thing?
we do have a ton of ills in our society but assuming the worst of people who think or act differently like the OP really doesn't change anything. if society was able to fix everyone so they all lived a set standard we would be living as "stepford robot people" who wants that? who gets to be the one that sets the standards.
You're articulating questions that have perplexed geniuses throughout the ages and I can only hope we find answers together. One fine day the sciences of the mind won't be so soft and efficacy improved to higher standard. That can't happen when the honest assessment of a given path or set of values isn't made. Listen to so many (politics, writers, artists, preachers, common man) using persuasion tools designed to negate all worth of group X people. There were good things about victorians, and bad things. Preserving what was good represents conservative animation, reforming the bad represents liberal animation. Good and bad are entirely subjective? Populist opinion should decide that? How'd that work out in world history?

Cookie cutter people- stepford robots--- we've all made an agreement not to kill one another & cooperate more. Some of us are better at it than others in social contract. Does that mean we should abolish the standard? We as a nation and as individuals need to find a better way to articulate our values. I'm not proud to be an American when men take it upon themselves to define American values as being a bully/ tyrant. My America is very different than theirs and it's been a longstanding problem. Pappy is free to vote herself out of a vote, and women are free to marry an abuser or a mate. I would hope all of us would find the common value of personal responsibility, our 'freedom', is the conscious action of owning our lives fully, not looking for scapegoats to dump on as the cause for our unhappiness.

I don't have all the answers but I know what doesn't woek. So long as people are all too willing to fixate on social ills outside themselves as an excuse for why they didn't pioneer a better way for themselves (leading by example) it only exacerbates the social ills.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,798,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
False accusations will not win an argument .

if she was that kid who got hit in irag than she was a good kid and had priciples and honor,imo. The liar libs tried to get her to lie play GI Jane, but she was true to her conrads and told the truth . I hope she is well and doing good .
She's a good person, I wholeheartedly agree with you. But she's one of those 'career' girls you're claiming to hate. She's a mother of a child whose father she did not marry. She's a college girl. She's a veteran. Your reasons for hating a % of women in USA apply to a country girl as much as they would a city girl. So listen to yourself- you are indeed lying- to yourself.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I've seen tons of studies saying that women were happier back then. I think the reason why women are upset today, was that many were fed lies that they can "have it all" and you really can't, at least not all at the same time.
I remember when Bigina Slims came out advertising women smoking. and telling us we came a long way . We sure ' a long way from home '.
Now we smoke ,drink and die of the same kinds of illness men did . We are not as healthy either . Most are obese and so are our kids . Eating out and lack of manual labor . Processed foods sold because they were fast and easy to fix . Now diabetes cancer and other illness is killing our kids .

Old 07-26-2010, 05:47 PM

3,736 posts, read 5,785,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Who is emulating the lifestyle from "Sex and the City" or "Pretty Woman?"
Good question. And this is a GREAT thread! Y'all remember to give the OP recommendation points for this!

Who is emulating? Well, whenever girls think they can go off to New York, and make a living as a "wordsmith" or a "publicist", and so get English degrees, instead of instantly marketable degrees, like Nursing or Dental Hygiene, then they could be basing such decisions on Sex and the City.

And all the girls from Eastern Europe, lured with promises of fabby careers as high-paid and pampered sex workers/strippers/hostesses, who end up on the auction block, stripped naked, and sold as sex slaves in the Middle East, to be beaten, abused, overworked, and to die, finally, all alone and unknown, from disease and abuse...well they may have been primed for the deceit of the traffickers by having seen Pretty Woman. In fact, that film is regularly cited as helping to create the unreal expectations these girls have been given.

Both S & T C and Pretty Woman tell girls that vague and ephemeral qualities, like being pretty, entertaining, and 'special' (and little girls are raised to believe they are these things) are going to be enough to attract men who will take care of them, and make all their problems go away. They grow up 'knowing' that if they fail, or fail to even really try to be self-sufficient, that they can 'always' find a man to live off of. They've been shown that fantasy over and over, and to them it's real...always just around the corner.... I wish them good luck with that. How many men like that do they think there are? Enough to go around, for even half the women who need to be taken care of? Enough for even ten percent?

Not very good odds, if you ask me. And they're even worse, when you consider that high-paid professionals tend, now, to marry other high-paid professionals, not little sad-sack poetesses. But these shows are telling girls that being somehow, miraculously, 'special' is what really matters'.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
You're articulating questions that have perplexed geniuses throughout the ages and I can only hope we find answers together. One fine day the sciences of the mind won't be so soft and efficacy improved to higher standard. That can't happen when the honest assessment of a given path or set of values isn't made. Listen to so many (politics, writers, artists, preachers, common man) using persuasion tools designed to negate all worth of group X people. There were good things about victorians, and bad things. Preserving what was good represents conservative animation, reforming the bad represents liberal animation. Good and bad are entirely subjective? Populist opinion should decide that? How'd that work out in world history?

Cookie cutter people- stepford robots--- we've all made an agreement not to kill one another & cooperate more. Some of us are better at it than others in social contract. Does that mean we should abolish the standard? We as a nation and as individuals need to find a better way to articulate our values. I'm not proud to be an American when men take it upon themselves to define American values as being a bully/ tyrant. My America is very different than theirs and it's been a longstanding problem. Pappy is free to vote herself out of a vote, and women are free to marry an abuser or a mate. I would hope all of us would find the common value of personal responsibility, our 'freedom', is the conscious action of owning our lives fully, not looking for scapegoats to dump on as the cause for our unhappiness.

I don't have all the answers but I know what doesn't woek. So long as people are all too willing to fixate on social ills outside themselves as an excuse for why they didn't pioneer a better way for themselves (leading by example) it only exacerbates the social ills.

I had a vote . I married one . Now I vote today to counter the others . I don't get abused but sometimes I can't stand Pappy and vice versa . But then after a cool down we love each other again . I'd rather spend life fighting with one man than a dozen .

Besides it's ard enough to get use to one . I do agree some men and some women are impossible to live with . For the women stuck in that is a shame, but you can't run societal laws on a few .

Old 07-26-2010, 05:50 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,132,184 times
Quote:
I totally reject the idea that women were happier and healthier before the 60s. If that were true there never would have been a Womans Movement to begin with.

As for Pretty Woman, it's just updated versions of the old Cinderella plot and is centuries old.
true, women have been fed stories for a long time.

Sex & the City; whilst not my cup of tea, has 4 distinct characters,which was part of the attraction for women - they could identify with a little bit of each of the characters.

everytime I see a thread by the OP I think of the song "People are strange'" by The Doors.

"women seem wicked, when you're unwanted ...."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies