Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:14 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times

Advertisements

"More important, Jean stands to prove that fame can do more than lift voter turnout — or raise millions of dollars for earthquake victims, as his Yéle Haiti (Haiti Freedom Cry) foundation has this year. His presidential run, win or lose, could build a long-awaited bridge between Haiti and its diaspora: a legion of expatriates and their progeny, many of them successful in pursuits spanning every field, who number 800,000 in the U.S. alone. International aid managers agree that Haiti really can't recover from the quake unless it taps into the education, capital, entrepreneurial drive and love for mother country that Jean epitomizes".

Wyclef Jean Says He Will Run for President of Haiti - TIME
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:19 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,277,653 times
That would be surreal.

Dictator Jean.

LoL.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:21 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
From scheister defrauding people in the face of an earthquake to presidential candidate of a 3rd world country. I see a trend..........

Old 08-04-2010, 12:26 PM

I didnt know about the charity, but from what I read you're jumping to conclusions about "defrauding". Are they being investigated? I don't see that they are.

I think the possibilities in this link to the outside world are fantastic, and that his heart is in the right place, which Haiti desperately needs.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I didnt know about the charity, but from what I read you're jumping to conclusions about "defrauding". Are they being investigated? I don't see that they are.

I think the possibilities in this link to the outside world are fantastic, and that his heart is in the right place, which Haiti desperately needs.
Actually Haiti needs competant, ethical leadership, not a "rock-star".

Old 08-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
What makes you think he wont be able to provide that? Out of all the past leaders of that country he's the only one not motivated by greed.

You seem to hope he'll fail, if he's elected. Why?

Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,994 times
My friend is in Haiti right now and just met with Rene Preval, the current president. In her opinion, Jean could do no worse.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Are you volunteering for the job? If not, why the "Debbie-Downer" act? I sincerely hope that, win or lose (for Wyclef), this is a positive step in Haiti's recovery.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:50 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,847 times
The Fugee Party?

I hope that if he wins that he does good things. Lord know that country desperately needs something good to come along and has needed it for some time. I have often wondered why two countries on the same island have had such different levels of relative success. Politics and dictators like the Papa and Baby Doc aside, what is significantly different about Haiti and the Dominican Republic? I understand that because of the persistant political situation in Haiti that they will not get the tourism and serivces dollars that DR gets, but what about agricultural products? Is the land so ruined by deforestation that they cannot grow anything there anymore? While the DR has the second highest GDP in Central America and the Caribbean, Haiti is and has been in shambles.

I really don't know a whole lot about these countries other than very general things. If someone with knowledge on this could explain it, I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Fullback32; 08-04-2010 at 04:08 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 05:59 PM

40 posts, read 42,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
The Fugee Party?

I hope that if he wins that he does good things. Lord know that country desperately needs something good to come along and has needed it for some time. I have often wondered why two countries on the same island have had such different levels of relative success. Politics and dictators like the Papa and Baby Doc aside, what is significantly different about Haiti and the Dominican Republic? I understand that because of the persistant political situation in Haiti that they will not get the tourism and serivces dollars that DR gets, but what about agricultural products? Is the land so ruined by deforestation that they cannot grow anything there anymore? While the DR has the second highest GDP in Central America and the Caribbean, Haiti is and has been in shambles.

I really don't know a whole lot about these countries other than very general things. If someone with knowledge on this could explain it, I would appreciate it.
The main reason is that Haiti has never really been a free nation, but a debt slave to western powers since it gained its independence. Starting in 1806, fearful that the Haitian Revolution might inspire enslaved Africans in other parts of the Western Hemisphere to rebel, the U.S. Congress banned trade with Haiti by joining French, Spanish and Portuguese boycotts. Global shipping originating from Haiti was banned from trading with American and European ports of trade. This coordinated embargo effectively crippled Haiti's export-driven economy and its development as a once prosperous Caribbean port under French rule. The embargo was renewed in 1807 and 1809, and in one form or another has lasted over 100 years. It was accompanied by a threat of re-colonization and re-enslavement by the American-European alliance if Haiti failed to compensate France for losses incurred when French plantation owners, as a result of the Haitian Revolution, lost Haiti's lucrative sugar, coffee, and tobacco fortunes supported by slave labor. Haiti spent the next 100+ years paying 70% of its national revenues in reparations to France.A ransom enforced by the American-European trade alliance as the price for Haiti’s independence.

Heres a good video explaining Americas role in Haiti's food riots.

YouTube - The US Role in Haiti's Food Riots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies