Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2010, 12:56 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Tell us how you really feel about Christians, will ya? Sorry, this post comes across as very arrogant. It is not necessary to demean Christians to say that the US should not be considered a Christian nation.
No, it's not necessary, but I stand by my comments. I am not demeaning Christians when I write that they are adamant about this being a Christian nation because they are afraid of confronting the possibility that their religion is fallible and not absolute. If you think that's demeaning, your reaction is an example of adherence to an idea despite logical arguments to the contrary. Taking offense to comments that could be applied to any belief system, religion, or cult mentality is unfortunate.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,083 times
Conservative politicians promote, time and again, that the US is a Christian nation because... *drumroll* most of the population is considered Christian and the Republicans want their votes. George W. Bush repeated over and over that he is a Christian man and he answers to a higher power. And many people voted for him not because of his Republican platform, but because he said he was Christian. He also had one of the lowest approval ratings in America's history. It was so bad, that for the next election, a majority of voters said, "well, maybe we ought to give this half-Muslim a try..." and the 10% who still approved of Bush by the end of his term are the ones who think that Obama is somehow tied to Osama because there's only a one-letter difference.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Back on topic,

Why is it so important for some people to believe this is a Christian nation?
Conservatives sweetie, try and keep up. It is about a group of people and why it is so important to that group that America be declared a Christian Nation.

This question reminds me of my government teacher in college asking the class, what does the party think?

What do conservatives think on this topic? Do you have an idea as to what that may be?

I do; it goes with the basic core principal values this nation was founded on that has been far removed over the decades of, 'it's all about me' in this country.

We need to come together as a nation in order to form a more perfect union and we can not do that. We are split. We are divided as a nation with no concept of belief or a belief system, so therefore we have become vulnerable.

The conservatives wish to provide to us a platform, the old tried and true one, so as to bring us closer together, closer to each other. This platform is being rejected. The quality of our lives suffering all across America and will continue to do so...the last man standing will witness our fall.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 PM

952 posts, read 942,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Back on topic,

Why is it so important for some people to believe this is a Christian nation?

uhh...because we don't want you to burn in Hell for all Eternity

Old 08-02-2010, 07:43 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
In the end, it doesn't really matter what their personal beliefs were. Just because someone believes something doesn't automatically mean they advocate it for their country. After all, I'm an atheist but by no means advocate an atheist nation. They could have all been Fundamentalist Christians, but the fact is that they wrote religious freedom into the Constitution, so that's what they advocated.

I was never arguing this was a Christian nation, I never said it was. I simply proved that the majority were indeed Christian. Plain and simple. Others on this thread felt the need to lie about what I said so I put them in their place. That is all.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The founders were grown ups on the issue of religion, who could differentiate between personal freedoms, choices and the people as a whole. It is why we don't see ANY reference to Christian anything in the constitution.

I am a Christian, but you wouldn't know that from my posts unless I tell you so (even then you will probably have tough time believing me, but that ain't my problem). It is because I respect others' choices as I expect them to respect mine. This approach was fundamental in the belief system when the founders were in-charge.

But, of course, for politicians, it is best to polarize people on one of the issues that is extremely dear to the heart of the majority... religion. Hitler did it, didn't he?

Please see above response. I never said it was a Christian nation, I never said it should be considered one and I never said all the FF were Christian. I simply showed that the majority were. Nothing more.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
The founders were grown ups on the issue of religion, who could differentiate between personal freedoms, choices and the people as a whole. It is why we don't see ANY reference to Christian anything in the constitution.

I am a Christian, but you wouldn't know that from my posts unless I tell you so (even then you will probably have tough time believing me, but that ain't my problem). It is because I respect others' choices as I expect them to respect mine. This approach was fundamental in the belief system when the founders were in-charge.

But, of course, for politicians, it is best to polarize people on one of the issues that is extremely dear to the heart of the majority... religion. Hitler did it, didn't he?
Did you just say what I keep saying when i pop into this ridiculous thread? It sounded like it but I will repeat so you can answer my question. I think that more liberals are worried about us not being Christian than most Christians are worried about the same.

Was it a Christian who started this thread?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
I was never arguing this was a Christian nation, I never said it was. I simply proved that the majority were indeed Christian. Plain and simple. Others on this thread felt the need to lie about what I said so I put them in their place. That is all.
I know, I replied for all posters, not just in response to you. I just meant in the sense that there's no point in debating the Founding Fathers' personal religious beliefs since that doesn't prove anything in terms of whether the nation was founded on Christian principles.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I know, I replied for all posters, not just in response to you. I just meant in the sense that there's no point in debating the Founding Fathers' personal religious beliefs since that doesn't prove anything in terms of whether the nation was founded on Christian principles.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
No, it's not necessary, but I stand by my comments. I am not demeaning Christians when I write that they are adamant about this being a Christian nation because they are afraid of confronting the possibility that their religion is fallible and not absolute. If you think that's demeaning, your reaction is an example of adherence to an idea despite logical arguments to the contrary. Taking offense to comments that could be applied to any belief system, religion, or cult mentality is unfortunate.
Jeez, Louise! First of all, you ass-ume that ALL Christians feel that way, yet there are several self-declared Christians on this board who have said they do not agree that "America" (sic) should be declared a Christian nation. This includes at least one conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies